Large tank for WR 2005 450

9 replies to this topic
  • BrentKesterson

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Does anyone know of a mid sized tank for the 03 WR450?

I have a 3.1 IMS on now, but I only get 80 miles on that. (I think I should be getting more than that. what are you guys getting?)

I found an Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank online, but that's a bit too much. I can't find anything in between 3.1 and 6.6.

Any ideas??

Brent Kesterson

• clark4131

Posted January 04, 2007 - 06:36 AM

Acerbis 3.3 is the only other option. Search for fuel tank and you'll find a lot of info as it was discussed within the last week...SC

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 04, 2007 - 02:35 PM

only 80 miles on 3.1 gallons???? that doesn't sound right. I usually get around 26-28mpg

• spidennis

Posted January 04, 2007 - 02:41 PM

I have a 3.1 IMS on now, but I only get 80 miles on that. (I think I should be getting more than that. what are you guys getting?)

I found an Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank online, but that's a bit too much. I can't find anything in between 3.1 and 6.6.

Any ideas??

Brent Kesterson

aqualine makes a 4.0 gallon, they also make a 6.9
do a search and you'll find my posts about this ...

• jim slim

Posted January 04, 2007 - 02:49 PM

Do you guys know if any of the larger tanks fit with rooster radiator gaurds? like 2.8 and up size tanks. I emailed IMS and they said that they have never heard of rooster before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bullybull9

Posted January 04, 2007 - 04:43 PM

wow ,, 6 gals on a dirt bike ,, thats huge

• Desracer

Posted January 04, 2007 - 05:11 PM

I have the large tank, the gas boils in it when I stop on a hot day. It also rubs on the head. I have only one petcock in it, as the right side runs way to close the header to use this side. I have sheilded the cross over tube with high temp spark plug covers from NAPA. Lots of gas and lots of heat to boot, have to keep moving!! Engine ice only works well when moving at 10 mph or better, slower it boils worse than regular anti freeze. Dont worry about side impacts the tank gets smacked first. Food for thought.

• taksx

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:04 PM

Any ideas??

Brent Kesterson

80 miles on a 3 gal gas tank....:lol: somethings up dude!

• BrentKesterson

Posted January 06, 2007 - 08:42 AM

80 miles on a 3 gal gas tank....:lol: somethings up dude!

I thought I should be getting better milage than that. I had a 98 WR 400 and I would get 120 on the same tank. But I did a Baja tour last April and 3 of us on WRs with the same tank all ran out of gas without in about a mile of each other. (2 fast guys and 1 slow guy).

Where should I start looking for an issue? I bought it second hand. Could it be that he refetted wrong? The bike runs great though.

Brent

• DEZZNUTJOB

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:47 AM

Brother, a 3 gallon tank in Baja is very doable, you need to consider your routes vs. gas stops, ride a bit more conservative when you have to, and pack lots of octane boost. The only scary thing is when you expect a gas stop to be open like Ramona's and she aint there, you may be screwed. Good luck !:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.