Baja Design Dual Sport Kit for YZ need help with Stator/flywheel/CDI

11 replies to this topic
  • ksut

Posted January 03, 2007 - 08:50 PM

I bought a Baja Designs baja kit for my 2000 YZ 426F and found that I now need a WR stator ($250+) a WR Flywheel ($250+) and a CDI unit ($not sure). Is there another route? I did contact a company with an external stator like Baja Designs used to sell. Any input would be appreciated.

• moto2000

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Prices are quite a bit cheaper in the TT store

$81 for the flywheel
$155 for the stator

Sent ya a PM on the CDI

• BergArabia

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:38 PM

All the above are reasons I stick to riding in the day..
I looked into the baha designs and then I thought even with the lights, riding in the sand dunes (which is where I ride, at night would just be too hard to judge and ride, all shadows too easy to fall off I was thinking) If it was flat then OK in fact that would be fantastic...

• tntmo

Posted January 31, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Prices are quite a bit cheaper in the TT store

$81 for the flywheel
$155 for the stator

Sent ya a PM on the CDI

Is that for the WR426 stator/flywheel? Great prices!

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 31, 2007 - 02:29 PM

All the above are reasons I stick to riding in the day..
I looked into the baha designs and then I thought even with the lights, riding in the sand dunes (which is where I ride, at night would just be too hard to judge and ride, all shadows too easy to fall off I was thinking) If it was flat then OK in fact that would be fantastic...

Ive been on the dunes at night, in a Yamaha Rhino, and it is insane. Completely different than the day. Luckily, I wasnt driving and had a vet who knews the dunes like the back of his hand driving. It was crazy though.

• slammmin72

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:25 PM

ive been thinking about putting a light on my my YZ426 aswell, for night riding at stonyford. let me know what u grand total is.

yea, ive been out in the dunes at night in one of those huge buggys with the corvette motors ( Twin turbo'd) was crazy..but with all htose lights he had, it was almost like daylight infront (just like crazynova, thank got i was with a vet. driver, he'd been goign to glamis since he was a kid

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted February 01, 2007 - 12:38 PM

WR flywheel and stator will be the cheapest way to go. You don't need to change out the CDI. I did the mod w/ keeping my YZ CDI and it worked just fine. You will have to float the ground though. There's lots of info about that if you do a search. Good Luck!

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 01, 2007 - 05:32 PM

WR flywheel and stator will be the cheapest way to go. You don't need to change out the CDI. I did the mod w/ keeping my YZ CDI and it worked just fine. You will have to float the ground though. There's lots of info about that if you do a search. Good Luck!

yep this is all you need to do.

http://www.electrosp...tator.4.yzs.pdf

• Gordo426

Posted February 05, 2007 - 09:05 PM

Hey all,

I had somewhat of a unique situation, but long story short I had a Baja Designs dual sport kit including external stator. I crashed (before I could find an appropriate skid plate) and the stator was severely damaged causing a huge oil leak. Since that stator costs $500, even Baja Designs suggested to go with something else for a repair!

I used the info in this thread...and especially the link to the Electrex site with directions for redirecting the ground...and I installed a 2001 WR Stator and flywheel on my 2002 YZ 426. It worked perfectly and it really was not very difficult. All turn signals and brake light work. headlight seems to have just about the same power as when Baja Designs system powered it. I highly recommend this conversion. Just make sure you have a buddy around to hold the tire while you torque the crankshaft bolt back on!

OH! Buy your parts from TT store. You will save nearly $100 from a dealer. 2001 and 2002 parts have slightly different part numbers, but both will fit any yz 426...2001 parts are cheaper!

• Strokestopher

Posted July 06, 2007 - 01:02 PM

I bought a Baja Designs baja kit for my 2000 YZ 426F and found that I now need a WR stator ($250+) a WR Flywheel ($250+) and a CDI unit ($not sure). Is there another route? I did contact a company with an external stator like Baja Designs used to sell. Any input would be appreciated.

Im having the same problem and I think the only solution is that I need a cdi box for a 2001 wr because the wr didn't come out until 2001. My mechanic said the yz has 4 coils goin to the engine and 2 to the electrical. The WR has 2 coils to the engine and 4 to the electrical. so unless there is a stater that will put out enough power for the electrical and compatible with the yz cdi box were kind of screwed.

• Strokestopher

Posted July 06, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Also there is a stater that costs 180$ thats the same as the WR stater.

• Strokestopher

Posted July 06, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I have a YZ 426f I have converted to street I have a WR stater and a yz cdi but my cdi wont fire. my old stater for my yz still fires the cdi. What do I do?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.