Which rad. cap part number for 650R?

8 replies to this topic
  • wheelup

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:10 PM

Somebody has to know which radiator cap to use from PepBoys, like a Stant to get 1.6 and not have to get one from the "Pros" for $34 + shipping. Any help? I already searched and I found a lot of stuff on just getting a 1.6.

• MindBlower

Posted January 04, 2007 - 06:02 AM

The only thing I've heard is using one off small Kawasaki dirt bikes. Assuming those are cheaper than from Honda.

• Miguel159

Posted January 04, 2007 - 10:21 AM

I called a local Kawi dealer and he told me the kawi rad cap that fits (I think an old KX model (500?) , but don't quote me on that) listed at $72.00 Cdn :lol: . The stant racing one is cheaper than anything else I've found up here.

• wheelup

Posted January 04, 2007 - 02:09 PM

There HAS to be an available part number for there things from Stant.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted January 04, 2007 - 05:27 PM

Please explain to me what I am missing on this subject. You want to exceed the manufactures specs on your cooling system's pressure? First, if your trying to avoid overheating, why make it harder for the system to overheat, thus making the engine temp higher? Sounds like that would not be good for the motor? :lol: :confused: :confused:

• wheelup

Posted January 04, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Did you ever read up on the overheating of these unless a LOT of full throttle happens? Which doesn't happen on street bikes!!!:lol:

• Potts228

Posted January 05, 2007 - 05:02 PM

Please explain to me what I am missing on this subject. You want to exceed the manufactures specs on your cooling system's pressure? First, if your trying to avoid overheating, why make it harder for the system to overheat, thus making the engine temp higher? Sounds like that would not be good for the motor? :lol: :confused: :confused:

I don't have a good tech answer for you other than going to a 1.8 cap on the XR650R almost emiminates the overheating problem they experience when run at slow speeds. If you're always moving and don't ride hard you won't have a problem.

• platterdr

Posted January 05, 2007 - 05:32 PM

this is what little i can tell you about the rad cap stock is a 1.1,raising the cap pressure gets the bike running hotter so it doesn't boil over as soon. A cap from a KX500 is a 1.6 Kaw part #49085-1059. Also change the thermostat I bought the one from Summers racing. And was told to add "water wetter". These are things I did to mine when I had one. It is gone now and I have an L it seems to fit my needs a little better. In some ways

• philipstjohn

Posted January 05, 2007 - 05:46 PM

I don't have a good tech answer for you other than going to a 1.8 cap on the XR650R almost emiminates the overheating problem they experience when run at slow speeds. If you're always moving and don't ride hard you won't have a problem.

Uncork the bike, jet it properly, and the overheating issue seems to go away unless you sit at idle for a long period of time. I am not sure, but run in stop and go traffic and I bet i:ride: t will heat up. But, what is the bike made for? Running, and Running... full speed ahead... if it heats up during this time, something is wrong with the system. If you want to convert it to a "street bike", I applaud you of your choice of bike, but I suggest running this bike on the street when you can really run!!!:lol: :confused:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.