Tires for 426?

21 replies to this topic
  • Insaneman1731

Posted January 03, 2007 - 05:35 PM

What's up guys? I was wondering what kinda tires would be a good choice for my 426? I am probably looking for an all around kind of tire. Because I ride on all different types of terrain. Sometimes it's muddy sometimes its not..etc.

• flintlock28

Posted January 03, 2007 - 05:58 PM

I just went through the same thing on my Yz 450f.......

After a ton of research, I put a Pirelli Scorpion Pro on the front, and a Pirelli MT-16 on the rear. I rode for about three hours last Thursday in New Jersey, on Dirt, Dirt mixed with Sand, and pure Sand. The tire performed Excellently (is that a word?) It stuck like glue. The only thing I didn't get a chance to ride was any Mud or Hardpack.
The front is designed as an all-terrain tire, and the rear is designed as an Intermediate. My riding is going to consist of primarily a MX track that goes from occasionally Loamy to hardpack, to trail riding that varies from nice Woods dirt, to Coal region hardpack, Lots of rocks, Coal dust, shale, roots, etc. Basically I'll be riding just about everything.
The MT-16, and the Scorpion Pro were both recommended by Dwight Rudder the Off-road Champion. From what I saw on Thursday, if this setup works as well on Hardpack, I'll be real happy. My previous tires were Dunlop 756 up front, with a Maxxis IT on the rear. The Dunlop worked pretty well when it was new, but as it wore, it would start to washout. The Maxxis lasts forever, but doesn't grip as well as some other tires, and it is lousy in Mud.

I would definately look at the above mentioned Pirelli's as an overall "do anything" tire. Also the Dunlop 952, seems to be getting really nice reviews from people on here. Good luck.

• 642MX

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:00 PM

I'm currently using a Pirelli MT83 Scorpion front tire, and a MT32 on the rear. Both work very well in intermediate conditions. The Dunlop 952 is a good tire for all around use, but it wears a little faster than the Pirelli's.

• Insaneman1731

Posted January 09, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Anyone else?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:06 PM

I run the Michelin S-12 exclusively on the front of both my bikes year round. This time of year it's soft around here so on my RM I have an S-12 on the rear and on my YZ I have a trials tire :lol: and when I don't have that on I have a Dunlop D773...which gives you killer, almost freaky traction both straight line and while leaning over hard, but they wear out really, really fast.

When things start to dry out around here (that's a relative term, by the way) in April I will mount up Dunlop 952s on the back.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:13 PM

My current favorite is D952's front and rear. Works in a very wide variety of soils very well, great wear, better traction than any other tire I've tried, excellent cornering, and you can get the pair of them for $90 around here.

The soil here ranges from packed clay to rocky silt, to desert hard pack to DG and sand, but rarely any significant mud, except at the track. There may be something better for Maryland soils, but not for this area.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 09, 2007 - 02:43 PM

My current favorite is D952's front and rear. Works in a very wide variety of soils very well, great wear, better traction than any other tire I've tried, excellent cornering,

It's because of Gray's recommendation that I am going to try out the 952 on the rear this spring. If I don't like them I am going to send him a bill.:lol:

• Insaneman1731

Posted January 09, 2007 - 03:23 PM

My current favorite is D952's front and rear. Works in a very wide variety of soils very well, great wear, better traction than any other tire I've tried, excellent cornering, and you can get the pair of them for $90 around here.

The soil here ranges from packed clay to rocky silt, to desert hard pack to DG and sand, but rarely any significant mud, except at the track. There may be something better for Maryland soils, but not for this area.

So you are saying they do good or bad in the mud? It is muddy around here sometimes. I like those but I looked on a website and it's 60-70 just for the rear.

• grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:00 PM

So you are saying they do good or bad in the mud? It is muddy around here sometimes. I like those but I looked on a website and it's 60-70 just for the rear.

The rears work better in mud than the Maxxis IT, the D756, or the Bridgestone 401. A front such as a D773 or similar is probably a better pure mud tire, but the 952 front works as well as a 756.

This is what makes hard it to answer your question: The mud around here is usually either clay or something near quicksand. The clay mud is hard to deal with at the track because it's typically a layer of greasy, sticky slime on top of pretty hard dirt, so it balls up the tires and lubes the dirt surface underneath. Almost nothing really works. It's a little better when it's natural mud from the rain, but it's still nasty stuff. I don't think Maryland is like that, but having not ridden there, I don't really know for sure.

When the dirt surface is wet enough to pull up in clods, but not so that it's squishy wet, the traction is like being on pavement. Maybe better.

• Insaneman1731

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:06 PM

The rears work better in mud than the Maxxis IT, the D756, or the Bridgestone 401. A front such as a D773 or similar is probably a better pure mud tire, but the 952 front works as well as a 756.

This is what makes hard it to answer your question: The mud around here is usually either clay or something near quicksand. The clay mud is hard to deal with at the track because it's typically a layer of greasy, sticky slime on top of pretty hard dirt, so it balls up the tires and lubes the dirt surface underneath. Almost nothing really works. It's a little better when it's natural mud from the rain, but it's still nasty stuff. I don't think Maryland is like that, but having not ridden there, I don't really know for sure.

When the dirt surface is wet enough to pull up in clods, but not so that it's squishy wet, the traction is like being on pavement. Maybe better.

How long do they last? I also want something that lasts pretty long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:25 PM

So far, I have two days of trail riding at McCain Valley, about 300 miles of desert riding, and the Elsinore GP on the rear tire, and it looks like I'll get two more rides out of it. By that, I'd say if a Maxxis IT is a 10 for wear, this is at least a 9, and is already 3 times better than a 756.

• Insaneman1731

Posted January 09, 2007 - 05:48 PM

Cool.

• Florida_426

Posted January 12, 2007 - 08:15 AM

I have the 756 front and rear on my 02 426, had the 773 before these were installed. Mostly soft sand/red clay here with pretty high moisture content (usually, if not silt and dust.) Both the 773 qnd 756 wear fairly fast so if you have any hardpack or rocky terrain I'd go with Grayracer's 952 Dunlop rear. A friend in SoCal runs the Pirellis on his 06 450 and he loves them for the desert.

Bill

• DrThumper

Posted January 12, 2007 - 08:27 AM

I've run them all. Simply put, bottom line, I found the best overall for performance, wear and $$$, in my opinion is the Maxxis IT.
'Nuff said. Once you've tried them, you'll understand.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:37 AM

I have tried them. I was one of the biggest advocates here for Maxxis IT rears. Not any more. The 952 rear wears at least 90% as well and hooks up better pretty much everywhere. It also transitions between stuck and sliding much more predictably and controllably in corners, and holds better before it starts to slip.

I never liked the IT front. It didn't hold on hard stuff well at all, was only mediocre in intermediate, and rounded off the blocks quickly. 952's front and rear are far better, IMO, and I'm going to try one of the new D742FA's on Baron von Beard's recommendation this weekend.

Edit: I'm putting my trial of the D742FA on hold until such time as the price becomes more reasonable, or I become convinced that it's the best front tire that was ever made. My parts outlet wants $98 for one. :confused: :crazy: :lol:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 12, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Edit: I'm putting my trial of the D742FA on hold until such time as the price becomes more reasonable, or I become convinced that it's the best front tire that was ever made. My parts outlet wants $98 for one. :crazy: :lol: :lol:

I don't know Gray...$98.00 for a miracle tire sounds pretty good.:confused:

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2007 - 03:02 PM

I don't know Gray...$98.00 for a miracle tire sounds pretty good.:lol:

And if it can perform a miracle with me on it, I'll pay that gladly. But I'll need to see it first. :confused:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted January 12, 2007 - 08:09 PM

I've run them all. Simply put, bottom line, I found the best overall for performance, wear and $$$, in my opinion is the Maxxis IT.
'Nuff said. Once you've tried them, you'll understand.

Could not agree more... Any doubts, try them. Best all around tire period. IMO

• qkenuf4u

Posted January 12, 2007 - 09:51 PM

what about a tire for both dirt and asphalt (like motard racing) im leaning towards the AVON D. what ya think of those ? what about all out asphalt ?

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted January 13, 2007 - 12:55 AM

952 rear 756 front...........no need to try anything else..these are the tires for me..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.