06 WR450F Starting issue

4 replies to this topic
  • Pilikia

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:51 PM

I was getting ready for a weekend ride and my bike would not start up. I cranked it until the battery almost died than tried to kick start it. It still did not start. I changed the spark plug, had plenty of gas and everything else seemed to be okay. I’ve only had this bike out 4 times prior to this ride. I charged the battery and tried to start it—won’t start. I stoked up the stove in the shop thinking it was to cold to start as the ambient temperature is between 20-30 degrees —won’t start. Than today I went home for lunch and went to the shop to try to get it started, and viola—it started. The outside temperature had risen to above freezing, around 40 degrees. My question is has any one had issues with their WR450 not starting in sub-freezing temperatures?

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 03, 2007 - 04:17 PM

This is normally a sign of a small starter {choke} jet.
I use a 72 starter jet with a 48 pilot for the winter. It should start a lot easier right down to 30 degrees. below that temperature you may need to kick it and crack the throttle ever so slightly.:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marty b

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:43 PM

i dont even try the elect. when its that cold i kick it call it names and it fires then no problums all day.

• HawaiianStyle

Posted January 03, 2007 - 11:06 PM

I've been having major problems with the ethanol blended fuel here in Hawaii. Even after running the carb dry, if the bike sits for over two weeks, the starting gremlins show up.

• Pilikia

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I've been having major problems with the ethanol blended fuel here in Hawaii. Even after running the carb dry, if the bike sits for over two weeks, the starting gremlins show up.

Mahalo, Brah! Sure do miss the Islands.:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.