5th gear slipping/ jumping

5 replies to this topic
  • matfoo426

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:43 PM

First of all,

Im new to Thumpertalk, so it's a big Hi 2 everybody!:lol: :confused:

I have a 2000 yz426f:ride: , and ive recently coverted it into a supermoto:crazy: .Its just had a rebuild, after running it in properly, it decided 2 open her up. Upon changing into fith gear, she seems to slip/ jump and doesnt pull cleanly:mad: . Ive took it to a yamaha dealer, where they are investigating the problem.

They have since told me it doesnt seem 2 be the clutch, as the had a look at it, and seems fine, they also said it could be the gearbox job. What could be the problem

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Worn locking lugs on the 5th and third pinions, along with a shift fork damaged as a result, are the usual cause of this issue.

• 02YZ426

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:41 PM

Yep, thats going to be costly too if you let the dealer do the work. I had the same thing happen on my 426... 1 too many bad shifts I guess.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 97chevy

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:10 PM

Read this. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=443593 Also listen to SUnruh. He knows what he is talking about, and that is what it is even if you wanto to accept that fact or not.

• weedhopper

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:18 PM

I had that exact same problem with my 03' YZ250F and I was able to fix it myself. It was the locking dogs on the gears and it would cost a little more than 100 dollars for the gears, shift fork and gaskets and other items for reassembly if you buy from TT OEM. I would reccomend doing it yourself if you have at least some experience with motors. Unless you have a lot of extra cash to dish out to your local Yamaha service shop.

• matfoo426

Posted January 04, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Thanks guys,

Best i get the parts list out then:mad:

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.