has original tires on it
The bike looks almost brand new
He wants $2500
Good deal or should I look elsewhere
I ride +40 B class in mx
Thanks

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Sounds good here - Especially if it only has 25 hrs. I would recommend replacing the stock front Dunlop right away.

- RCD

• shuehauls

Posted January 03, 2007 - 12:32 PM

I did a search on the 03 and the only thing that sounded bad was
3rd gear has went out on some 03s.
Was this a big problem or just a problem on a few of the bikes?

• 642MX

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:41 PM

Tranny problems are few on all the YZF's. Its hard to tell on these forums if the tranny problems are from rider abuse or an actual defect. I would ride it make sure it shifts smoothly.

Sounds like a good price.

• dwnlowx

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:41 PM

if the bike does have original tires and looks new, and only 25 hours id buy it right away for that price. i got my 04 a year ago for 3400 same hours and stock tires and as soon as i got it i had the valves checked,gresed the bike up ,changed the oiland coolant , new filter <k$n> and put new tires<maxis> and gold chain x ring chain and skid plate and a decompression plug since then my bike has been bullet proof and ran perfectly

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:10 PM

I did a search on the 03 and the only thing that sounded bad was
3rd gear has went out on some 03s.
Was this a big problem or just a problem on a few of the bikes?

I am a 03 owner from new...to now with over 175-200hrs

the reality:
stock clutch will make racket and need the 02 kit or hinson/GYTR kit to fix
Stock handlebars, pegs and chain are all junk
It will need a flywheel weight to make it more tractable - way too much wheelspin
no tranny problems yet...but I know many that need new cogs/gears/shiftforks
the 03 - 05 does not turn very well or as easily as a 06/07 - it will need applied racing offset clamps or stormracing link to turn decent
most owners went to a 47 tooth rear sprocket to utilize rpms to get most out of each gear - 4speed
Stock suspension is mediocre at best and will need revalve and different springs to help/Enzo subtanks or other
Some frames have reported to crack at the center tube/headstay area

the good news:
The 03 is the dragster of all 450s...holeshots are no problem
a very dependable running bike. Topends and valves are bulletproof. :lol:

After owning this and a 06....my advice is save your money for a 06/07.....I can buy 4 to 5 03's with no hrs for what I have spent to make my 03 a great bike...
The 04/05 have better suspension and no clutch issues...but they still don't turn that great....

• flintlock28

Posted January 03, 2007 - 04:31 PM

Ga426owner pretty much summed it up......

I think he's a little too harsh, but I agree with the bulk of what he's written.

I have a 2004 model, and I love it. The bike does have a Stormlink, which definately does improve the turning capability, but I still wish I could do more to improve it's turning. Sag setting's are very important on the 03-05 model's to get the most out of trying to turn. In loamy dirt the bike does carve rather well, but I find on flat hardpacked turns, you gotta work a little to get her to really turn hard. Tire choices are definately important too. The stock front tire Sucks, and should be used for building Bonfires with only. I now run a Pirelli Scorpion Pro up front, and a Pirelli MT-16 on the rear...definately helps.

For $ 2500, I'd go for it, but if you got the cash to get a used 06' or 07', I'd lean toward the 06' and 07'. You simply can't get an 03-05 model to turn/handle like an 06' or 07'

by the way Ga426owner....How much did you spend on your 03' to improve it???

• RobRantzow

Posted January 03, 2007 - 05:31 PM

I would buy it but be ready to try and mellow out the power cause it will rip your arms out of there joints. My brother had one and I could not believe the power that thing had compared to a 426. I would put flywheel weights on it for sure.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2007 - 06:32 AM

by the way Ga426owner....How much did you spend on your 03' to improve it???

ouch :confused:
....with everything I have done to it........I can buy 2 07s.........and a 2500 dollar 03 for the pitbike.........:lol:

• flintlock28

Posted January 05, 2007 - 06:30 AM

Holy Snikeees!!

Oh well, I'm assuming it was all done before the 06' came out......

If I total up the things I've done (levers, bars, fuel screws, tires, yada, yada), I'm looking at a good chunk of change also.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 05, 2007 - 07:09 AM

Yep before the 06 came out...there was just no real reason to buy a 04 or 05....I still would have had to do the same or similar things to make it better....the 06/07 are that much better.....So far all I have had to do is:
revalve/respring
new bars, chain /sprockets, pegs and Michelin tires
add Fuel screw, NFLR needle
WB pipe
I am waiting for carb from ZipTy and will report on Carb modification....due to mainly a bad bunch of race gas.....
and this is probably all that I will have to do to my 06:thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.