2000 xr600r stiff clutch

5 replies to this topic
  • DrKtmkid

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:36 PM

I have a 2000 xr 600r. I have been doing a lot of rock climbing and i have been noticing that my hand at the top of each climb is cramping horribly. At first i just thought i was out of shape, but i ride with a group of guys with bikes around the same size from multiple different years. My clutch is the stiffest for sure. My clutch cable seems a little draggy but i don't think that it is the complete issue. Is there a way to adjust the tension on the clutch???

• Jon-D

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Nope.

You could install an "easy pull" clutch lever that changes the leverage, that would help. You could also extend the pull arm on the motor (again adjusting leverage) by welding an extension on the arm. Or...if you have the money, install an aftermarket hydraulic clutch.

• frankstr

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Maybe you need to clean the cable assembly and lube it..
I believe it's Motion pro, they make a cable lube tool..
Or maybe it's time to replace the cable, They do wear out..:lol:

:confused: :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LeadDoggy

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Maybe you need to clean the cable assembly and lube it..
I believe it's Motion pro, they make a cable lube tool..
Or maybe it's time to replace the cable, They do wear out..:lol:

:confused: :confused:

frankstr hit the nail on the head.

I lube my cable on my 97 XR600R with a cable luber tool at least 3 times a year.....

• Blakerj10

Posted January 03, 2007 - 07:46 AM

I've got a 2000 650R and I just replaced the cable, and clutch plates and lever. Same symptoms as you describe... I don't know, just wanted say that in my case it is not the cable.

• Hare

Posted January 03, 2007 - 12:42 PM

If you have replaced everthing else, the clutch basket can become grooved and in turn make the clutch pull harder, you can see the grooves in the basket when they are bad bad

other things are cheap aftermarket perches and levers don't have the same leverage/ action/ wear, ect as stock honda (or good quailty aftermarket), add that to a worn cable and you got a tough pull as well

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.