WR450 on the road?

8 replies to this topic
  • LeeR

Posted January 02, 2007 - 12:34 PM

I live about 25 miles from the nearest trails and I'm wondering if a WR450 work well on the pavement to ride to the trails. Some highway could be involved but mostly backroads.

If I ride a WR450 in this way will I be needing to change oil every ride? Adjust valves frequently?

(I'm in Colorado so getting a license plate is not a large problem)

• hondacrf150f1

Posted January 02, 2007 - 03:09 PM

ive got similar questions, anyone no the oil capacity? how many miles/hours before oil change?

• trailordune

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:42 PM

This is my type of riding in the summer. A little bit of road and lots of trail. Oil capacity is 1.2 quarts and I change oil about every other ride, maybe 100 - 150 miles, sometimes more, no problems. This bike is fun on the street if you keep to the backroads.:lol:

• crooks420

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Those knobbies need dirt to make ya really smile.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Farmerboy

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:45 PM

i ride similar and change oil every 1000km no probs, thats what Yamaha tell you to do in the book so its good enough for me

• efto84

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:53 PM

My 06 wr450 has close to 3000km from road and trail use and is still going strong, hasn't needed to be shimmed yet just drop the oil every 300km run premium fuel and keep the air filter clean.

• marty b

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:47 PM

i try to chang oil every 200 kms we have some verry wet spots after big puddle rids i find water in the bottom end, i chang it every ride for a bit
i havent had problums yet but i have herd if you push them to hard on the pavment 5th gear is a problum

• bg10459

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:20 AM

i have herd if you push them to hard on the pavment 5th gear is a problum

I've heard the same thing. Just don't rev the crap out of it or really bang the gears on the street and you should be OK.

• J_DOGG

Posted January 04, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Your a$$ is going to be sore doing 20+ on the street....

Highway - should be avoided at all costs, the bike will REV out, knobbies suck at those high speeds and the bike is light so it will get tossed around by the wind and trucks.

It's a back road bike at best with knobbies and stock gearing.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.