Need rim / spoke info

8 replies to this topic
  • mrstein69

Posted January 02, 2007 - 09:31 AM

I did a search.... couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like to install new (Black) Excel rims and spokes on the STOCK hubs for a XR650R. What exactly are the part numbers for the rims front/rear and heavy duty spoke sets front/rear. Also, who would you recommend to order the parts from.

Thanks

• Potts228

Posted January 02, 2007 - 01:45 PM

http://www.rk-excel....sh/rimappmx.htm

• 1Hondalover

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I did a search.... couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd like to install new (Black) Excel rims and spokes on the STOCK hubs for a XR650R. What exactly are the part numbers for the rims front/rear and heavy duty spoke sets front/rear. Also, who would you recommend to order the parts from.

Thanks

BUCHANAN!!

• Betopro

Posted January 03, 2007 - 08:56 AM

If you want to use the original hubs and dont want to drill a bigger hole for the spokes i will recomend the exel rims and spokes that is what i have on mine and it works great, Make sure the person doing the work for you uses loctite on the spokes nipples it helps a lot, if you use the buchanans I think you have to drill a bigger hole.
sorry for my $0.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bcone

Posted January 03, 2007 - 12:53 PM

If you buy through East Coast wheels they will set you up. I put a 2.5" x17" Excel rim on the back of my XRL and they sent out the rim and spokes for about $250. I would recommend Eastcoast wheels. They also sell complete wheel sets.

• mrstein69

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the info:

Yes.. I'd like to stick with Excel rims and spokes so I don't have to drill out larger spoke holes in the rim.

So... looking at the Excel web site vs. Parts Unlimited web site I see a difference in part numbers.

From Excel http://www.rk-excel....h/rimappmxf.htm
Front - Black rim - XR650R
New part# ICK_410 which uses excel N1 type nipples
or ICK_416 does not say what type of nipple to use

From Parts Unlimited http://offroad.parts.../66/136/2757790
RKICK408 - which includes spokes but don't know the nipple type

What's the difference between the ICK_408 , ICK_410, ICK_416... is it that the spokes are included and what nipple types are they????

As for the black rear rim... both parts match up as a:
Excel web site FEK_400
Parts Unlimted RKFEK400 which I believe includes spokes.

That's why I asked exact part numbers. Seems to be a difference in part numbers.

Thanks

• mrstein69

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Ok... thanks for the link to East Coast Wheels.

From their web site it looks like this is what I need:
http://www.shopeastc...2&catalogId=241

Front in Black
RKICK408 COLORWORKS MX RIMS AND REPLACEMENT SPOKES

Rear in Black
RKFEK400 COLORWORKS MX RIMS AND REPLACEMENT SPOKES

Price comes out to $271 + shipping. I'm going to give them a call to confirm the part numbers.

I hope this helps anyone else who is looking for this info.

Mike.

• jimmex

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Call Woody's Wheel Works-I just had exactly the same done for my BRP- indestructible.

• Potts228

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:05 AM

If you want to use the original hubs and dont want to drill a bigger hole for the spokes i will recomend the exel rims and spokes that is what i have on mine and it works great, Make sure the person doing the work for you uses loctite on the spokes nipples it helps a lot, if you use the buchanans I think you have to drill a bigger hole.
sorry for my $0.02

I use Buchanan spokes on mine and no need to drill out the hub. You only have to do this if you go to a larger diameter spoke. You do have a choice of a larger spoke nipple if you decide you want this. KTMs use a larger nipple and some people feel this gives then a stronger wheel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.