New XR680R Down For Good Maybe...

13 replies to this topic
  • YoungGunXR

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:15 AM

Alright my brother recently put the 680 kit in his xr650r and all was fine. Well we had a harescramble race and thats where it went downhill. It started to make a ticking noise in the head during the later part of the race. We thought it was valves so we tightend them as needed. Now here is the kicker, we check the coolant overflow bottle and it was empty. So we figured we should check the crankcase for the coolant thinking the water pump seal leaked. Drained the oil and about 16oz of oil came out..... The bike never smoked and ran strong so the oil didnt burn away. The question is where did it go? We had it filled up to the proper level before the race and after the race there was none. There is a overflow tube of some kind under the bottem of the cases that looked like it was dumping coolant/oil. My question is why would it leak all out in the first place? There is hardly any miles on the rebuilt topend that costed around $1000 which now seems to be all wasted as running a bike low on oil and coolant never does a motor good. So he is figureing to just sell the bike for $1500 or so to a bike shop and look for a new one as it is going to cost everybit of $1500 to get it right again. The bike still runs, just a bad noise....

• needsprayer

Posted January 02, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Check the front sprocket seal for possible leakage. Also look in the stator for oil.
Both conditions would be due to overpressure.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 02, 2007 - 09:41 AM

XRs, both 600s and 65 have the tendency to puke oil out of the breather tube into the airbox and injest it into the combustion chamber and then out the pipe without smoking becasue it burns effeciently. Mine does it for some reason and I need to add a quart after running it very hard for a week or so. I just keep an eye on it. But your problem sounds like a head gasket problem.

• CANADIAN BACON

Posted January 02, 2007 - 10:53 AM

Sounds like an "Orange" XR to me:).

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted January 02, 2007 - 01:24 PM

would that be a KTM?

• someperson

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:28 PM

Did you drain the oil from the frame?

• YoungGunXR

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:02 PM

The oil did not come through the counter sprocket seal this time. I also do not think it is a headgasket problem as there is no oil seepage around it. Ill have him check the stator cover. Yes we drained the oil from the frame. Just the oil filter looked clean and it was still wet with oil. We just dont know where to start with this thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted January 05, 2007 - 05:30 AM

I would do a compression test next.

• hill5150

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:47 PM

Sounds like an "Orange" XR to me:).

Now that's funny........

• YoungGunXR

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hey now on the color names. LOL My KTM 250sx gets me along just fine.

• Baxter650

Posted January 06, 2007 - 10:44 PM

Presure test the cooling system.

• Butta

Posted January 07, 2007 - 06:36 AM

The oil did not come through the counter sprocket seal this time. I also do not think it is a headgasket problem as there is no oil seepage around it. Ill have him check the stator cover. Yes we drained the oil from the frame. Just the oil filter looked clean and it was still wet with oil. We just dont know where to start with this thing.

What was meant with the head gasket is the separation between the compression (cylinder) and the water jackets. It's not visible without pulling the head, but if it leaks it opens the possibility for oil/combustion to port over to the cooling system, thus overpressuring it and causing it to bleed out the overflow tube. Pull the head carefully and check out the markings on the head gasket/sealing surfaces for any signs of leakage.

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 07, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Some thoughts:

1. Re the oil consumption, how many miles did the 680 kit have before he raced the bike? Seems like maybe the oil consumption could be at least partially explained by the new rings still seating in from your 680 upgrade. Maybe.

2. Re coolant loss, mine did that before I got a 22 psi radiator cap. Now no more puking.

3. Re ticking noise from the topend, sounds like maybe the cam/lifters may be fried. Two things will cause that, generally: low/restricted oil flow or setting the valve tolerences too tight when cold.

Easiest way to check is pull the spark plug and rear (intake) cover and shine a light on the intake lobe. Rotate the engine slowly with the kick lever and look for scoring. You can do the same on the exhaust lobe, through the front cover but you'll have to use a mirror. The scoring is going to be pretty obviouis if its there.

If the cam and lifters are fried (scored) and you catch it soon enough your only looking at about $200-300 in parts, maybe less.

Don't give up on a good bike.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

• YoungGunXR

Posted January 09, 2007 - 11:13 AM

Well Im taking it to the shop to have it worked on. But from what you guys are saying it sounds most likely a blown headgasket. Im still wondering where all the oil and coolant went...

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.