Making a 426 quieter

18 replies to this topic
  • jgreene

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:03 PM

I just picked up a 01 YZ426. Did not really need the bike, but thought it might be fun to play with. Since it is a play bike, I am not looking to put alot of money into it at this point, so I am looking at S/A, quiet insert end caps for the stock exhaust. I think that I have identified three types:

Bill's Motorcycle Plus, a White Bros. type end
Dubach Racing Development
Promoto Billet

Any thoughts on which one might provide the greatest result? This bike will not leave the garage until I can reduce the unbearable noise.

Thanks,

• Goosedog

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:41 PM

I've got the Promoto SA on my 426 and have run it with and without the insert and can't tell a great deal in noise reduction. If you think these bikes have "unbearable" noise you might want to concider a smaller thumper or a 2stroke even cause I don't think you'll ever take the unbearable out of it...big bore 4strokes are just a bit noisy.

Oh, and welcome to TT.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:43 PM

I run the pro-moto billet S/A endcap and the last time my bike was testedd it was 95.7 dB

• 642MX

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:54 PM

I would look into getting a FMF Q series, check ebay for a used one if your not wanting to spend a lot of money. :lol:

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:27 PM

An FMF Q2 will quiet it right down.

• Dano426

Posted January 03, 2007 - 08:53 AM

FMF Q was the only way I could get my 01 YZ426 under 96 dbs

• jgreene

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:44 PM

I think that I will keep the bike in the garage for the winter and see if I can find a deal on an FMF Q by spring.

Thanks for all of the advice.

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 03, 2007 - 04:27 PM

My bike is actually considerably more quiet when I put the SA in on my Dr.D exhaust. I only ever have it in when I go to California though.

• 02YZ426

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:08 PM

If you want a cheap solution that really works this is what you should look at. Its the DB dawg insert and they are $39

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yama02yz250f

Posted January 03, 2007 - 08:20 PM

could you tell me about the db dawg. Is the sound noticbly quieter? Would it fit a BBR exhaust? How is it held onto the pipe?

• 642MX

Posted January 03, 2007 - 08:29 PM

If you want a cheap solution that really works this is what you should look at. Its the DB dawg insert and they are $39

Posted Image

Posted Image

That thing looks like a cork. Will it even run with that? :lol:

• 02YZ426

Posted January 04, 2007 - 04:07 AM

That thing looks like a cork. Will it even run with that? :lol:

It works just fine... there are two large openings inside it.

• jgreene

Posted January 04, 2007 - 05:58 PM

[quote name='02YZ426']If you want a cheap solution that really works this is what you should look at. Its the DB dawg insert and they are $39

For $40, it might be worth a shot before I drop $350 on an FMF Q2.

I will check it out. Thanks for the info.

• yama02yz250f

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:59 PM

how does the db dawg stay on?

• jgreene

Posted January 05, 2007 - 03:15 PM

how does the db dawg stay on?

I just ordered one. $29 plus shipping. Looks to me that there are two set screws that basically wedge this thing just inside the end cap. The DB Dawg's flyer mentions that it should be tethered to the pipe to prevent it from flying out. I will probably try to improve the istallation method. I do not want to worry about this thing shooting out of the pipe all of the time.

• yama02yz250f

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:26 PM

ok thanks. could you keep me updated on how it works and how it installed? Thanks

• 02YZ426

Posted January 05, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I just ordered one. $29 plus shipping. Looks to me that there are two set screws that basically wedge this thing just inside the end cap. The DB Dawg's flyer mentions that it should be tethered to the pipe to prevent it from flying out. I will probably try to improve the istallation method. I do not want to worry about this thing shooting out of the pipe all of the time.

You won't need to tether it to the pipe. Tighten the set screws good, and use a little locktite on the threads. Its a very solid fit.. just check it once in awhile. You should put a little high heat silicone on the sealing surface of the db dawg. That will save you pipe from getting sutt all over it.

• Dano426

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:03 AM

Does the db dawg have a spark arrestor?

• Yamahafan

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:41 AM

No.

http://www.ignitionp...db_Dawg_web.pdf

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.