Uncorking Questions

14 replies to this topic
  • abby

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:42 PM

I have a stock 2005 xr650r, considering uncorking it. I've spent several hours searching through and reading threads and articles about uncorking, but still a little confused.......

First of all, I am not sure whether to buy the HRC tip or drill the stock tip. I am concerned most about noise, not so much about the cost savings of drilling the stock tip. Is the HRC tip that much louder than the drilled stock tip? I read that baja designs makes an insert that screws into the HRC tip to quiet it down, but I can't seem to find it on their website. Is it still available? If it is still available (or something equivalent), does the same jetting configuration suggested in the uncorking articles apply to using the HRC tip with the Baja designs insert?

Second, the uncorking articles are for earlier model years (2000), do they still apply to the 2005 model? I am referring to http://www.4strokes....nda/uncork_brp/.

Also, does the HRC tip have a stamp saying it is a spark arrestor? The stock tip has spark arrestor stamped on it, but I've read that the HRC tip doesn't (the Honda parts description calls the HRC tip part number 18317-MBN-640 a spark arrestor though).

I would appreciate any input.

• tirebiter

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Have you found this site yet?
http://www.xr650r.us/

Click on the FAQ link..

• Maroast

Posted January 01, 2007 - 05:33 PM

First of all, I am not sure whether to buy the HRC tip or drill the stock tip. I am concerned most about noise, not so much about the cost savings of drilling the stock tip.

The drilled tip is quiet, but I found drilling it a bitch...use a good bit.

Second, the uncorking articles are for earlier model years (2000), do they still apply to the 2005 model? I am referring to http://www.4strokes....nda/uncork_brp/.

yup

• jbird710

Posted January 01, 2007 - 06:24 PM

I'm in the process of doing my '06 right now - will let you know how it turns out.

• jbird710

Posted January 02, 2007 - 12:23 AM

Just finished and the bike started right up. Definitely louder. I couldn't take it for a spin as the cops would be here before I got to the end of my driveway since it's 2:00 am. The process went fairly smooth with only a couple of personal issues. One thing they left out in the instructions (and this may be nit-picking) is they didn't say anything about removal and re-installation of the throttle cables (which is no problem; but should be in the instructions for people who don't know better). Everything went together with no major problems. One thing to be sure an watch out for is the Phillips head bolts on the carb. Make sure you have the proper head Phillips driver or you will round out those heads. The four holding the float bowl on were heavily torqued. One other thing is changing out the needle requires a good bit of disassembly of the carb - pay attention to how you take it apart. After removing the main jet, the emulsion tube is the piece the main jet screws into. You have to remove this tube to get to the needle seat and it will fall out after the tube is unscrewed. Make sure you put the new seat in the proper direction - smaller hole to the bottom. My only problems were getting the air filter boot back on the back side of the carb and getting the left gas tank mount bolt back in. Still don't know about the carb boot - wrestled with it for several minutes and then it popped into place. For some reason. I couldn't get the tank mount to line up with the threaded hole on the frame. I was just about ready to remove the shroud when it also popped into place. Those were my only two problems; everything else went pretty much as the instructions indicated. Can't wait to go for a ride tomorrow.:lol:

Also, the whole thing only took about 1.5 hours - had several interruptions is why it took me so long.

• big t

Posted January 02, 2007 - 12:34 AM

The HRC tip is louder than the drilled tip but not much. Even with the HRC tip my 650 is no where near as loud as my stock 450. Uncorking will be the same on the 05 as the 00.

www.xr650r.net Great directions for uncorking on this site also.

• abby

Posted January 02, 2007 - 04:50 AM

The HRC tip is louder than the drilled tip but not much. Even with the HRC tip my 650 is no where near as loud as my stock 450. Uncorking will be the same on the 05 as the 00.

www.xr650r.net Great directions for uncorking on this site also.

Thanks everyone. I have seen the other 650 sites mentioned also. The one article did mention dealing with the cables. I'm not at all concerned about performing the actual process, just the resulting noise.

But this was what I was hoping for sound-wise, a comparison to something stock.

Still have a concern about the spark arrestor part - is the HRC tip stamped as a spark arrestor like the stock tip is?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aos

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:12 AM

I have the HRC tip with the Baja Designs baffle, it is NOT stamped as an approved spark arrester. Never been a problem for me, I guess I could take it out to prove there is a sparky if I had to. I think this set-up gives a very reasonable sound level (94dbs) and good performance.

• Troy_Bell

Posted January 02, 2007 - 12:47 PM

I too don't understand why the HRC tip is not stamped "USFS Approved Spark Arrestor". I have found though, that it doesn't seem to matter if it is stamped or not. Mr Ranger shoves a stick into the exhaust to verify no matter what.

• jbird710

Posted January 02, 2007 - 01:10 PM

Finally got a chance to ride around the block and what a difference! It's like a completely different bike compared to stock. Much more torque and the sound isn't that bad. As others have mentioned, it's not as loud as most 4 stroke MX bikes with aftermarket exhausts. It doesn't seem as loud as my XR400 with the WB R4 exhaust. :lol: :confused: :crazy: :confused:

• abby

Posted January 02, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Finally got a chance to ride around the block and what a difference! It's like a completely different bike compared to stock. Much more torque and the sound isn't that bad. As others have mentioned, it's not as loud as most 4 stroke MX bikes with aftermarket exhausts. It doesn't seem as loud as my XR400 with the WB R4 exhaust. :lol: :confused: :crazy: :confused:

Which way did you go - drilled stock tip or HRC tip? I don't think you mentioned that.

• jbird710

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:14 PM

HRC tip from the parts list in the uncork article. I wanted to keep the stock tip in case I decide to put it back or sell it with the bike if I ever do.

• abby

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:36 PM

HRC tip from the parts list in the uncork article. I wanted to keep the stock tip in case I decide to put it back or sell it with the bike if I ever do.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Someone PM'd me that had an extra stock tip at a good price - so I am going to drill out mine and keep this one (assuming I get it) on the shelf for backup.

• abby

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Getting ready to order parts:

According to this website http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/

Altitude: 1000 ft
Temperature : 70 degrees +/- 20 degrees
Using the drilled stock tip, NOT the HRC tip
NO side panel cuts

For a starting point, I should be using one size smaller than a 170 main jet (chart called for 170 at 1000 ft/70 degrees but says to drop one size for using the drilled tip in place of the HRC tip). So one size smaller is a 168, right?

Clip position on the B53E HRC needle - third poisition

Pilot size - 68s

Seems everyone is using a larger main jet than a 168 even at higher altitides. What am I thinking wrong?

They're cheap, so I figure I'd get a 168, 170 and 172 main jet (part numbers 99101-357-1680, 99101-357-1700 and 99101-357-1720 which I guessed at) to play with.

:lol:

• 2XR650s

Posted January 02, 2007 - 09:15 PM

According to the chart I could be using a 165 or 168 at 4300 to 7200 ft. I have been using a 172, thats what pulls the hardest for me and I really like it. I sometimes go down to a 168 in the heat of the summer, Also I tried the racing needle several times in both bikes and am having much better results with the stock needle one clip richer, but I am sure that is only because of my elevation. Steven.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.