What are the advantages of going to a bigger/wider tire?? Any?

11 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hey Guys

I have almost completely used my stock tire and its time for the D606 upgrade. I was wondering on size. I see that a lot of folks put the biggest one possible on there. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this?

Thanks

:lol:

• chpxr

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:17 AM

more surface area on the ground means more traction i run a 120-100-18 maxxis and love it but everyone has there own favorit tire

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 01, 2007 - 11:54 AM

Thanks CHPXR

Anyone else? Curious, if the skinnier tires have any advantage?

Is one better then the other on the road?

• bigredxr

Posted January 01, 2007 - 12:11 PM

I to have an 06 xr650l and before I went on a trip to the U.P. and Drummond Island I upgraded the dounuts. I installed a set of dunlop 606's; the rear is a 130/90/18 which I found to fit perfectly in the swingarm without having to grind or remove anyting other than the disc guard during installation and then mounted back on once tire/wheel was in place. My buddy on an f650 dakar also with 606's and I; ah hum (WE) sorry Goose! Went through 4' deep, water filled mud trails and the dunlops performed perfectly. Definetly would not have mad it with stockers. To answer your question more diretly I believe more tire contacting the ground, loose soil, mud whatever equals a better chance of moving forward in the desired direction with some control. They also perform well on the pavement so far descent wear.:lol:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted January 01, 2007 - 01:46 PM

A wider tire yields a larger footprint and more traction, but once you are past a certain width, handling suffers to a degree. Also, there's the unsprung weight issue/effect of a heavier (wider) tire.

I have a 140 on my L, and am happy with it, but a true dirt and competition bike I might choose a skinnier (110/120) profile.

• FOUR STOKED

Posted January 04, 2007 - 08:53 PM

For what it is worth I think Scott Summers ran the 110 profile on his old 600. That is what I run on mine but I have also used the 120 and 130 size tires in the past with good results also. Straight line acceleration seemed better with the bigger tires but you can steer it with the back tire better with a smaller tire in my opinion. With that being said and the fact you can only get so far forward on these bikes with the steep tank- seat junction, steering with the rear works best for me in the dirt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Agent2

Posted January 05, 2007 - 10:32 AM

There is also the variation between different tire company's sizing. I run a Maxxis 120-100-18 and it is almost the same size as a Dunlop 110-100-18.

• hill5150

Posted January 05, 2007 - 11:43 AM

more surface area on the ground means more traction i run a 120-100-18 maxxis and love it but everyone has there own favorit tire

I use the same tire, works well, wears good on the pave and fairly in expensive............

• motopsycho650

Posted January 07, 2007 - 06:06 AM

Wider tire = more surface area touching the ground = better traction.
Taller tire = increased diameter of the tire = slight increase in top speed (theoretically).

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted January 07, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Taller tire = increased diameter of the tire = slight increase in top speed (theoretically).

Taller/shorter is also a slight gearing change up/down...which is what I think motopsycho was saying...I'm just adding to it. Also can raise/lower the rear of the bike by whatever tire height you change to.

• mookymoo

Posted January 08, 2007 - 03:18 PM

Also = better traction... (footprint is longer)

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:48 PM

So, what size D606 are you guys running?

Whats the biggest that will fit without rubbing anything?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.