yzf overheating

12 replies to this topic
  • melto

Posted January 01, 2007 - 06:13 AM

why would my tzf 246 blow out water from the pipe that is coming from the rocker cover thanks
dave

• BergArabia

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:13 AM

That sounds kind of wierd.
My YZ sometimes blows water from the hose on the top of the radiator.
But I thought the hose at the top of the engine was the oil breather hose. That is the one I think I rerouted through the breather box.
Did you ride through some water?

• fritzelman

Posted January 01, 2007 - 01:03 PM

condensation maybe?

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 01, 2007 - 02:04 PM

It is the oil breather hose, and are you sure its not oil? Oil can come out of that breather hose if you overfill the bike.

• 97chevy

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:26 PM

What color is the liquid? If it is green then you might have a problem. If it is milky then its oil/condensation mix. If it is brown then it is oil. Oil coming out is normal if you over fill it.

• melto

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:13 AM

thank all the liquid that came out was green and i had to fill up the rad.any ideas the bike has been stood for a while in the garage about 2 yrs this was its first outing the bike cut out i started it sat reving it for about 3 mins while my son started his i was wondering if it just overheated .
thanks dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted January 02, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Well I hope that works out OK but coolant coming out the oil breather pipe still sounds weird to me.

• Wyatt

Posted January 02, 2007 - 02:32 PM

Green coolant coming from black crankcase breather is not good. Check your oil, it should be completely contaminated if that is the case. Time for a teardown and find the crack

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:00 PM

If you suspect coolant leaking into your crankcase, it very definitely IS a situation to get on top of immediately. Glycol based coolants will turn your oil into something that WILL NOT lubricate your engine, not to mention the gummy mess it will leave behind.

Apart from a cracked component, which isn't too likely, coolant can enter at the O-ring seals where water passes between the right case cover and the crankcase, and the crankcase and the cylinder base, as well as the head gasket. There is also a large socket head plug in the top of the head between the cams, but here again, it's a very unlikely source of trouble.

I iwould guess head gasket, if you truly have a problem of this kind.

• melto

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:30 AM

thanks all
i diddent see it coming out of the breather pipe my son said that he did but we couldent start it after for me to confirm it when i got it home i put water in rad started it up and no water leak any more ideas cheers
dave

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:04 AM

What does the engine oil look like?

• melto

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:38 AM

the engine oil look clean

• melto

Posted January 04, 2007 - 01:43 PM

just dropped the oil and it look ok just dirty.
cheers dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.