Adjust your XR650R valves even faster now!!!!

11 replies to this topic
  • Maroast

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:53 PM

Checking/ adjusting my valves are even faster/easier now!!! :lol:

Forgive me if this has been poster already (I didn’t search TOO hard to see is it was)…and sorry if this is old hat. But I figured out an easier way to check my valves on the XR650R tonight. It’s basically the exact same procedure shown here with one major change. ( http://www.off-road..../XR650ValveAdj/ )

Instead of removing your stator cover and rotating the engine using a 17mm wrench to line up the “T”….

You do this….. Using a 6mm allen key, remove the stainless steel screw at the 12oclock position on the outside of the stator cover. Using the kickstart, rotate the engine and look through the hole in the stator cover till the “T” is lined up…..check for play in rockers to confirm top dead, and check away!

This isn’t earth shattering, but makes the checking of valves even faster!!!! No removing the stator cover (something that irked me…it only took 6k miles to learn this!!)

Hope this helps. I saw a post where someone said they don’t look to see if the “T” is lined up…they just rotate the engine using the kick and only feel for play in the rocker…..me, I want to SEE the “T” lined up, and KNOW its @ top dead. The choice is yours. Peace ya’ll.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 31, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Yep, there's quite a few 650 guys here that use the site hole for valve adjustments. I just find it hard to see the T while I'm kicking the bike.

• Falls A Lot

Posted December 31, 2006 - 10:23 PM

Maroast - perhaps the greatest benefit to using the sight port is that you are forced to rotate the engine using the kick start lever, therefore are less likely to turn the engine backwards, which engages the anti-kickback part of the decompression system, thereby hosing-up exhaust valve lash adjustments.

• InternalCombustion

Posted December 31, 2006 - 10:26 PM

Yup, that works, Maroast, though I had a heck of a time stopping the "T" in the sight hole.

So another trick I learned only recently, that is even simpler, is to pull the spark plug, stick a straw into the hole, rotate the starter lever until the straw stops rising and bingo, you're at TDC. Obviously you need to be certain you're in the compression stroke, so check that the exhaust valves are closed, else rotate it through one more full cycle.

If the bike is on a stand you can simply shift it into 4th or 5th and rotate the rear tire, which gives you even more precision in stopping the straw exactly at the top of the stroke.

I love tricks that simplify maintenance. Cool.

Ride safe all, and Happy New Year!

• frankstr

Posted January 01, 2007 - 05:48 AM

Thats how I get it done....:lol: :confused:

:confused: :crazy:

• HawkGT

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:21 AM

I use a little mirror so I can see in the site hole while working the kicker.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted January 01, 2007 - 12:29 PM

** don't be a goof and mash your spark plug threads by having the driver in there on a funky angle or by rolling the engine over too fast**

you don't even need to take any lower covers off.
just the spark plug out and the valve covers off.

-roll over engine till the intake valves open and just close
-put something long down the hole {i use long flat blade} till it contacts the top of the piston
-roll the engine forward very slowly till the screwdriver is at its highest point.
-check/adjust valves

*you can also put the bike in 5th or 6th gear and roll then engine over with the RR wheel*

• Max Power

Posted January 01, 2007 - 06:56 PM

What.... :lol: Come on you guys. There has to be even a shorter cut. Now what about oils..... Posted Image

Posted Image

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:19 PM

We know who spills his oil...when filling.

• Maroast

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Now what about oils.....

As in what’s the best oil to use?!?!?! It is synthetics! And I will fight anyone to the death who thinks otherwise! ….come to think of it I hear good ol’ dino is pretty good too….. :lol:

• ThunderChicken

Posted January 02, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Max, is that mold on your chain? :lol:

• Agent2

Posted January 02, 2007 - 12:11 PM

Using a 6mm allen key, remove the stainless steel screw at the 12oclock position on the outside of the stator cover. Using the kickstart, rotate the engine and look through the hole in the stator cover till the “T” is lined up

Yep - works good for us guys too lazy to take off the whole cover. Put the bike on the lift, pull the plug and caps, put bike in 4th or 5th gear, use foot to rotate tire, watch for the intake rockers to cycle, shine flashlight into checkhole, after the F goes by, the T will be there shortly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.