WR450 2007 vs 2006/2005

13 replies to this topic
  • notyme2loose

Posted December 31, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I hoping to purchase a 2007 wr450 or left over 2005 or 2006 this week. For those of you that had the chance to spent time on a 07 and either an 06/05 is there a notable improvement in handling and overall performance. I can save around $1500 on a left over. However I don't have a problem spending the money because I plan keeping it for a long time and I will be spending a fair amount on mods. Thanks for any help.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:47 AM

I have an 05 and have not ridden an 07. If you ride the 05/06 by itself, its a great ride. I has won several shootouts and comparisons. You will be smilin from ear to ear, just like I do when I ride.

I am looking forward to other opinions, but you simply cannot make a bad choice.

• Fullbore4

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:12 AM

I have an 05 and have not ridden an 07. If you ride the 05/06 by itself, its a great ride. I has won several shootouts and comparisons. You will be smilin from ear to ear, just like I do when I ride.

I am looking forward to other opinions, but you simply cannot make a bad choice.

Ditto.........I have an 06 and love it.

• ffgman

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:31 PM

If money isnt an option, go with the 07. Better stock suspension, smoother motor(almost electric feeling) with more low end grunt, and it feels way lighter.

• cksea

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:35 PM

I was in the exact same posistion last week and I went with the 07. No complaints.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:53 AM

how about 03 or 04 lol....im in the same situation will a limited budget

• WGP

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:15 AM

My 2 cents...

05 & 06 Proven reliabilty and great bikes.

Forget the 04 and older....to many issues

07 Completely different bike and only time will tell...although it looks nice. You will pay top $ for the 07.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I hoping to purchase a 2007 wr450 or left over 2005 or 2006 this week. For those of you that had the chance to spent time on a 07 and either an 06/05 is there a notable improvement in handling and overall performance. I can save around $1500 on a left over. However I don't have a problem spending the money because I plan keeping it for a long time and I will be spending a fair amount on mods. Thanks for any help.

Kinda biased opinion here, but go with the 07. It sounds like you have the budget for it, so I would just do it and not second guess myself later on. The bikes handling and performance (with the suggested mods) is amazing.

• mario_ddd

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:07 AM

go with the 06 and get ais removal kit from yamaha. you will be happy

• SXP

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:27 AM

First post - Welcome to TT:applause:

• Pilikia

Posted January 02, 2007 - 10:05 AM

I too was at this crossroad. I bought the "06" as the dealer made me an offer I could not refuse. IMO, not enough changes to justify the higher cost for the "07". I'm also not sold on the aluminum frame. My friend has a honda with this type of frame and he's busting a weld every time he goes out. I love my "06".

• xcracer123

Posted January 02, 2007 - 10:14 AM

X2:applause:

• akiraone

Posted January 02, 2007 - 03:24 PM

hello...

I have one question, how I can recognize difference between WR450 2005 and WR450 2006 how I can quess which is 06 or 05. Sorry for this question but I have oportunity to buy one and the guy is telling me its model for 2006 but Im not sure...

Please let me know if u have any idea...

thanks a lot..

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted January 02, 2007 - 04:27 PM

I know this will bring up some controversy but, FACT: Aluminum is a softer metal than Steel.
Youngs' Modulus of Steel: 20E+10
Young's Modulus of Aluminum: 7.0E+10

:confused: The larger the Young's Modulus #, the higher the tensile and compressive strength. Aluminum is about 1/3 the density, and weight of steel. However, a peice of aluminum that is 3x thicker (same weight as the steel) than the same piece of steel is 9x more dent resistant.
The downfall is that aluminum has almost no fatigue resistance meaning that once it is bent, it will be much weaker than the same bent piece of steel.
If you look at the 2 bikes, 06 and 07, you will notice that the frame on the 07 is MUCH thicker than the 06. Even though it is aluminum, and it is definatly not 3x thicker than the steel frame, the weight difference between them is probably not very much.

Also consider this, the seat height on the 07 is 1/2" taller and the overall height is 1" taller. Though not very much difference in height, the 07 still has its weight a tad higher. However, that is offset by the slightly lighter aluminum frame and it all boils down to a mere 2.2 lbs lighter. :crazy:

I am not trying to convince you to buy the 06 instead, I also am not trying to justify my purchase of an 06, I love it to death. I am however pointing out the minute differences in the 2 models and the BIG price difference. I say get the 06 and use the left-over money that you set aside for the 07, and get some good bark busters, skid plates, and the AIS removal kit. Plus once you remove the baffle and the AIS, you shave off about 2 lbs, whadda ya know, your at the same weight as the stock 07.

Whatever you get I can garuntee one thing... either way you will get one hell of a bike!!:lol: :confused:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.