28 replies to this topic
  • whodis

Posted January 08, 2007 - 10:29 AM

I wanna use this for
a ram air.
Posted Image

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:08 PM

motopsycho650, I am stealing your design because i do not have software to make my own template. Here is my long and drawn out way I am doing it. First i took the template off here and put it in powerpoint to resize it. Then i printed it, and taped it onto a piece of metal. I then center punched all 107 holes and then drilled them. The whole process took me 3 hrs but i still have to transfer the template to the bike. Heres a picture.
Posted Image

• pigryder

Posted January 08, 2007 - 05:39 PM

ok I got my thinking pipe I mean my thinking hat out again.......:lol:

• motopsycho650

Posted January 14, 2007 - 06:55 AM

What software did you use to make that stencil? Thanks for the stencil, i am thinking about doing it. Do you guys think just the 650 cutout would add enough air that i would change my jetting?

Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS2. I have a Multimedia/Web Design Degree.

Just the 650 it's self with the size I have it, no, I don't think you'll have to change jetting. 1/4 turn out on the pilot adjustment should be good. The large holes with the screen, if you do that, you will probibly have to go up one size on both pilot jet & main jet. That was what happened to me. But, I could not believe the power gain from the extra air. Buy a few extra air filters and have one ready if you go on a long trip.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motopsycho650

Posted January 14, 2007 - 06:58 AM

motopsycho650, I am stealing your design because i do not have software to make my own template. Here is my long and drawn out way I am doing it. First i took the template off here and put it in powerpoint to resize it. Then i printed it, and taped it onto a piece of metal. I then center punched all 107 holes and then drilled them. The whole process took me 3 hrs but i still have to transfer the template to the bike. Heres a picture.
Posted Image

That will be straighter than what I did. I drilled from the inside, so a few holes look asque from the outside. I guess I didn't have the drill perfectly level.

Look's like you put in some work, the presicion approach will look better. I did somewhat the same thing, although I center-punched straight to the plastic.

Very nice job on the metal stencil. Oh and thanks to everyone who likes my design, although I want to see what else you guys can come up with. But, feel free to use it, modify it, what ever. If I see another bike on the trail drilled the same way, I'll probibly stop and talk bikes for a few. That would be pretty cool.

• motopsycho650

Posted January 14, 2007 - 06:59 AM

I wanna use this for
a ram air.
Posted Image

If you can figure out how to make it work, and how to make it look cool, you're a better designer than me.

I was actually thinking about this idea. If you're standing on the pegs, going fast, the holes I have cut in my side panel are right behind my knee. As the air approaches you're leg, it's forced around it, creating a vacumn just behind your leg. That vacumn sucks the air backaround your leg right where the holes are. So, in a way, just having the holes there IS a ram air setup.

Just thinking out loud.

• motopsycho650

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:21 AM

I didn't see the mention if you hand drilled? did you use a real small pilot in the center hole of the stensiled "o's"? I wish there a way of keeping the swamp out too.

Yes, I hand drilled. And, yes I used the white spot in the center of each "O" as a mark for a center punch. I recommend drilling from the outside. I drilled from the inside (I was afraid of hitting the black rail on the inside), and a few of my holes are a bit off because I didn't have the drill level.

P.S. The diameter of the blue "O's" in the graphic are 3mm each. When I ended up drilling, I used a bit around 2.5mm. I think 3mm would be fine, but I was tired of cleaning off all the plastic strings, so I didn't go any bigger.

• TriFire

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:41 AM

Looks cool, i just ordered a high flow side panel, im thinking of doing this also :lol:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 14, 2007 - 02:55 PM

Got mine drilled using the metal stencil. I was in bit of a hurry and i messed a hole up but its not terrible. You consentrate on keeping the drill level, even with the metal stencil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.