A Creative Challenge...

28 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted December 31, 2006 - 04:17 PM

This site seems to be full of creative, intelligent people. I was bored so I designed, and drilled out the 650 in my air filter side panel, just for a bit more air, and some fun. It's the perfect size for the top section of the air filter, (which always stays pretty clean).

Posted Image

I want to see some other pics of some creative fabrication you guys have done. It would just be interesting to see.

P.S. Happy New Year

• hypersthenos

Posted December 31, 2006 - 04:51 PM

That's friggin' cool. With winter in full swing I need to get creative & do some creative stuff to mine.

• frankstr

Posted December 31, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thats sweet....:lol: :confused:
I just might steal that idea and do that to mine...on both sides.
Thanks for sharing......

:confused: :crazy:

• madroberts07

Posted December 31, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Thats sweet....:lol: :confused:
I just might steal that idea and do that to mine...on both sides.
Thanks for sharing......

:confused: :crazy:

When I get back home tomorrow, I'll post up the graphic files I made as a stencil.

P.S. This is motopsycho650, using my cousin's computer.

• hypersthenos

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Right on! I was going to make my own stencil but will gladly copy yours. Might be a way for us TT'ers to identify out 650's from the rest of the pack.

• cajun

Posted January 01, 2007 - 05:32 PM

This site seems to be full of creative, intelligent people. I was bored so I designed, and drilled out the 650 in my air filter side panel, just for a bit more air, and some fun. It's the perfect size for the top section of the air filter, (which always stays pretty clean).

Posted Image

I want to see some other pics of some creative fabrication you guys have done. It would just be interesting to see.

P.S. Happy New Year

Very nice!! Man how did you get that to come out so straight. I did something like that on mine a while back and I didn't really like the way it came out. I'll take a picture and post it up later. This will be a how not to do it.

• cajun

Posted January 01, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Well can't seem to post pics.

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Very sweet. Did you use a drill press with an indexing table, a mill, what? If you did it with a hand drill you should a surgen.

Too cool.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 02, 2007 - 11:52 AM

That does look good, motophsyco650. I am really wanting to do something with mine now. How about that stencil you were going to post? I have a couple ideas.
1. Just cut out a little larger 650 in the place of your top cut out.
2. Cut a rectangle out and make a low profile ram air to direct air in.
(Not sure if it would rub your leg while riding.)

What do you guys think about the ram air?

• pigryder

Posted January 02, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hey guys just got a sweet idea for ram air.....build a scoop on the top of your helmet and run a hose like the size of a dryer vent down your back and in to the side of the air box :lol: what do you think :confused: and no Im not high :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:14 PM

Yea great idea man!!! Only problem is if you fly off the bike, two things could happen.
1. Hose stays attached and you break your neck.
2. It rips off the side panel, the air filter falls out and because you just installed your new edelbrock the bike keeps running and tons of dust gets sucked into the engine.

Yea,so maybe ram air is a retarded idea. Now back to reality. I could easily make a stencil and trace 650onto the side panel but, what would i use to cut it out? Any ideas? I may go to the traditional cutouts to make it easy.

• rebelventurer

Posted January 03, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hey guys just got a sweet idea for ram air.....build a scoop on the top of your helmet and run a hose like the size of a dryer vent down your back and in to the side of the air box :lol: what do you think :confused: and no Im not high :confused:

Are you sure your not high? them stogies make me dizzy, guess you get used to it though, whats that called, building up resistance, lol, just kidding.
How about methane injection, boiled eggs and beer with a hose some duct tape and wallah.
Seriously though, very nice work on the side cover, gives me an idea, how about that girl off the truckers mudflaps?

• MindBlower

Posted January 03, 2007 - 07:57 PM

REAL Ram Air begins to become somewhat effective only at very high speeds. Like over 100mph.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:03 PM

Yea plus, your leg would be covering the inlet so you would have to build like a 12" scoop to make it effective. lol

• NavyNuke

Posted January 03, 2007 - 10:24 PM

lets just put a supercharger on it........ ok, maybe not

• frankstr

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Seems a little far fetched for me.....:crazy: :eek:

:( :p

• motopsycho650

Posted January 07, 2007 - 05:38 AM

Sorry, I've been lazy this week. For anyone who wants, here is the stencil I used to drill out the 650. It's large in size, because I left it at 300 dpi.

As far as ram air, I think it would be easier to try and fit a Harley NOS kit somewhere. Then you wouldn't have the issue of breaking off a ram air tube.

Posted Image

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 07, 2007 - 11:40 AM

What software did you use to make that stencil? Thanks for the stencil, i am thinking about doing it. Do you guys think just the 650 cutout would add enough air that i would change my jetting?

• cajun

Posted January 08, 2007 - 03:28 AM

"What software did you use to make that stencil?"

Me Too?

• bork

Posted January 08, 2007 - 06:32 AM

I didn't see the mention if you hand drilled? did you use a real small pilot in the center hole of the stensiled "o's"? I wish there a way of keeping the swamp out too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.