street legal wr450??

11 replies to this topic
  • YzF Rider

Posted December 31, 2006 - 10:25 AM


my friend wants to no if he can make his 06 wr450 street legal by adding a horn and some DOT legal tires, he lives in las vegas and i no u dont need turn signals and the DB limit is 96 or 98 limit cant remeber totally

  • clark4131

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:16 PM


Take a look at page 4 of the NV DMV Motorcycle Operators Manual

In Nevada, motorcycles need to be equipped with the following:
 Headlights - at least one, and no more than two.
 Taillight - must be a red taillight that can be seen for 500 feet.
 Stoplight or brake light - this must be visible for 300 feet when the brakes
are used.
 Brakes - must have front and rear brakes
 Electric turn signals - front and rear signals are required for all motorcycles
manufactured after January 1, 1973.
 Reflector - at least one red reflector on the rear of the motorcycle.
 Rearview mirrors - one rearview mirror on each handlebar.
 Fender - required for front and back wheels.
 Footrests - adjustable to fit passengers.


  • rich1167

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:21 PM


Do they inspect?

  • clark4131

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:25 PM


In Vegas? I'd say it's a pretty fair bet that they do. In Boogerglob? Probably not, but who knows?...SC

  • BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:16 PM


Yes you need turn signals and horn mirrors, etc. Just pic up a manual and it will tell you all that you need. Baja designs, trick dual sport and such give you everything you need.

  • windaddiction

Posted January 02, 2007 - 10:20 AM


I know in BC You need the lights to pass the inspection but after you have it resgistered you can get rid of them.... I no longer run signals cuase they alwasy break off!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted January 02, 2007 - 10:43 AM


Where is Boogerglob?

  • MountainMax

Posted January 05, 2007 - 04:34 PM


there are also lots of threads on this, just search for Dual Sport

  • eissinger4

Posted March 12, 2007 - 05:59 PM


Where is Boogerglob?

Near Yerington!!

  • treecop

Posted March 12, 2007 - 09:47 PM


How I modded my bike to make it street legal.

-High/Low beam switch and new bulb.
-Brake light-Hose goes to pedal.
-4 carbon fiber turn signals that go on a street fighter with a 3 way toggle switch mounted on the bars.
-One folding mirror

Oh ya, a trail tech cpu to see how fast I am going.
Plate is on top of the fender. No grief....yet

  • N1atEcon

Posted March 12, 2007 - 10:08 PM


Yes they inspect !!! You have to have all the goodies that Clark4131 states above. You have to have the form signed off by someone who has a shop that can do the work or that at least will sign it for you and put down their license # or dealer #. something like that. I have the form in my garage and called the dealership to see how it all works because i was/am going to buy a 07 sometime.

  • TheGuy77

Posted March 16, 2007 - 08:45 PM


I was able to get mine through Nevada DMV with little trouble. Purchased Baja Designs kit, added full coverage insurance, went to local dealership (Honda/Kawaski) and had the bike inspected. They completed the paperwork and I was on my way. The hard part was convincing the guy behind the counter at DMV to understand how I was able to convert a "not street legal" unit to street legal. It took him several trips to his supervior to complete the deal. My bike now has "specialy constructed" on the title. My home owners assoc. may not love me anymore. In consideration of my neighbors, I am purchasing a quiet exhaust to replace the FMF full system.


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.