first ride on '07

36 replies to this topic
  • arizonachef

Posted January 03, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Yoy are talking about drilling the rivets inside the exhaust and taking out the little baffle.

• Paewraul

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:13 PM

You guys are killin me. The 07's aren't even out up here in NH yet! I'm probably better off though. I was really hoping that I could convince myself that its not that much better. Thanks alot! Christmas bills and now a new bike loan!

• dslack67

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:08 PM

How do you guys feel the new WR would fare on a MX track? I'm light, only 160-lbs or so fully geared up. I've heard the suspension is a bit stiff for enduro racing but might be good for me on MX track?

I will be doing some desert enduro's here in SoCal as well as Grand Prix's and some MX racing. Love the new lighter feel (so I've heard, haven't ridden myself), e-start, Cali Green-Sticker. A bit worried about the 250-lb weight and whether the bike feels like it's 250-lbs and how the suspension would handle the MX tracks.

Thoughts??

Thanks guys.

• marty b

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:51 PM

the clock on the spedo if the bike hits tdc and stops it resets it to 1200
its a pain on a long ride

• marty b

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:52 PM

sorry hit the wrong button was following a different thread

• Derwud

Posted January 04, 2007 - 08:13 AM

First ride for me too. I stayed up all of Christmas night getting the bike prepped for our 4 day camping trip to Charlie's Place/Wagon Wheel. Did the following:

1. Removed the snorkel from the air box
2. Removed the entire baffle from the muffler, left only the spark arrester inside. I'll bet the bike will still measure under 96 dB - it's really not loud. Frankly I don't think there is any need for an aftermarket muffler after these mods as the bike is still pretty quiet and flows well. Save that $300+ for other goodies.
3. Rejetted - used Indy's guide for the most part: JD Red 5th notch, 45 Pilot (stock), 168 Main for the break-in period - will try the 165 at some point (stock Main was 162 S - not sure what the "S" stands for), stock Leak and Starter jets, and Zip-Ty fuel screw out 1.5 turns.
4. Pulled the Grey wire
5. Installed a 6.0 kg/mm spring (I'm 230+ lbs) on the rear shock from my '99 WR400. Stock on the '07 is 5.3 kg/mm.

The bike FLAT OUT RIPS!!!

I'm coming off a '99 WR400 and the difference is like night and day. I was babbling like an idiot after the first ride - I was just blown away by the handling and power differences. What ever ergonomic adjustments Yamaha has made with respect to the bar-peg-seat position works as it's almost a flowing motion going from sitting to standing. The wide pegs help a lot as they really provide a solid base for this. I made some clicker adjustments to the front and back and the bike just ate up the whoops without beating me up. Again, I'm sure the bar-peg-seat relationship has a lot to do with this as I found myself in an almost neutral position over the whoops without any excessive arm strain. The fact that the front end stays up effortlessly also helps. It handled rocky hill climbs without ever stepping out on me. My WR400 suspension was done by George at ESP and the stock 07 suspension blows it away. IMHO, apart from springs for us big boys, there is no need for suspension work on this bike.

While I was away, my Scotts Shark Fin arrived and I have the AIS removal kit and skid plate under order. I didn't notice any popping from the bike even with the AIS in place. Apart from taking up place under the tank and around the carb, I don't believe it effects performance in any way. However, space is so tight around the carb, it would be worth getting rid of the extra plumbing just to make it easier to work on the carb.

Next up will be a stabilizer and some plastic frame protection as I've already polished the main frame from my boots rubbing on it.

Great bike guys, it's really everything it was hyped up to be.

gohley gee that's great!

Huh, what is with this reply?

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2007 - 08:50 AM

Huh, what is with this reply?

I think he thought I was too 'gushy' :lol:

• Derwud

Posted January 04, 2007 - 08:55 AM

I think he thought I was too 'gushy' :lol:

I thought it was a good post... Would have been my post if I felt like typing that much!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 04, 2007 - 09:14 AM

I thought it was a good post... Would have been my post if I felt like typing that much!

BTW, sorry for hijacking your post, but I thought it would be an appropriate place for my impressions too. I didn't think we needed another "My First Ride" thread as you already had the ball rolling:thumbsup:

• Derwud

Posted January 04, 2007 - 10:14 AM

BTW, sorry for hijacking your post, but I thought it would be an appropriate place for my impressions too. I didn't think we needed another "My First Ride" thread as you already had the ball rolling:thumbsup:

Never felt it was a Hijack, just a good post..

• Goeters

Posted January 04, 2007 - 03:08 PM

Where can I buy the AIS removal kit for the WR 450 07???

thanks

• Derwud

Posted January 04, 2007 - 03:10 PM

Where can I buy the AIS removal kit for the WR 450 07???

thanks

Put your order in at the dealer, they are not available yet.

• beasly

Posted January 04, 2007 - 04:48 PM

5. Installed a 6.0 kg/mm spring (I'm 230+ lbs) on the rear shock from my '99 WR400. Stock on the '07 is 5.3 kg/mm.

SXP, derwud2, anyone else, keep it coming. I love the ride reports. :lol: The weather has been unseasonably warm this week. With luck I'll get out for a first ride this weekend.

Are you sure about the 5.3 kg/mm rear spring? Mine has a 5.5 stock. It has a little bit of pink paint at the bottom. The 5.3 should have a yelllow paint spot. The front is 0.459 kg/mm. No wonder some of the lighter guys are complaining about stiff suspension. Looks like the North American bikes are set for a ~200lb rider. You may be able to be 210lbs without gear and still go with the stock suspension. Now if I can just loose 15 pounds. :confused:

• Chooch68

Posted January 04, 2007 - 06:59 PM

SXP, derwud2, anyone else, keep it coming. I love the ride reports. :lol: The weather has been unseasonably warm this week. With luck I'll get out for a first ride this weekend.

Are you sure about the 5.3 kg/mm rear spring? Mine has a 5.5 stock. It has a little bit of pink paint at the bottom. The 5.3 should have a yelllow paint spot. The front is 0.459 kg/mm. No wonder some of the lighter guys are complaining about stiff suspension. Looks like the North American bikes are set for a ~200lb rider. You may be able to be 210lbs without gear and still go with the stock suspension. Now if I can just loose 15 pounds. :confused:

210...thats me, and I didnt have the springs replaced just had the valving massaged a little. I love this bike.

• YZ_Abuser

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:49 PM

the clock on the spedo if the bike hits tdc and stops it resets it to 1200
its a pain on a long ride

Is there a place for an internal battery? Like a battery backup in an alarm clock?

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Are you sure about the 5.3 kg/mm rear spring? Mine has a 5.5 stock. It has a little bit of pink paint at the bottom. The 5.3 should have a yelllow paint spot.

My spring has a pink spot on it too and per the manual that is a 5.5 as you stated above. I got my info from RaceTech which measured the stock spring at 5.3 kg/mm. If the stock spring is indeed a 5.5, it's interesting that Yamaha saw fit to spring both the YZ and WR the same (again I using RaceTech as a source of my info). Historically haven't the WRs had softer springs than the YZs out of the box?

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2007 - 09:41 PM

Put your order in at the dealer, they are not available yet.

I went by the Long Beach Yamaha dealer today to check on the status of my AIS removal kit order and they called GYTR while I was there. Apparently the kits won't be ready until Jan 18, and then give it another week to filter down to the dealers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.