flywheel puller

8 replies to this topic
  • big_boreYZ

Posted December 31, 2006 - 09:37 AM

Fith gear went out on my 01 426 and in the process of separating the case halves i ran into the flywheel, i was wondering what techniques you guys use if you don't hace the proper tools. I have a three jaw puller on it now and i am afraid to put any more pressure on it for fear of damaging it. thanx for your replies

• SUnruh

Posted December 31, 2006 - 09:46 AM

the tool from motion pro.
works on *most* bikes. buy it once, use it for life.

• kylwk1500

Posted December 31, 2006 - 10:28 AM

i cant remember if it uses the same one, but i have a puller from a 400 i would give you for cheap

• stillsun

Posted December 31, 2006 - 03:29 PM

You risk breaking the flywheel by using a jaw puller... just get the real puller.

Josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JimmyBee

Posted December 31, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Don't use the 3 jaw puller!! You won't like the result. Buy the correct puller $10-$25. Plus it will also work on 90% of the off road bikes and "TOADS" (4-wheelers). money well spent.:lol:

• big_boreYZ

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for stopping me before i made a big mistake and i very much appreciate your input.

• canuck479okfalls

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:13 PM

Most of the flywheel pullers I have sean are nothing more than fancy bolts. Just measue the hole and check the thread pitch and by a bolt at the hardware store for a $1.50. Also check your bike I have come across this a couple of times on a honda and once on a suzuki that the rear axel is the right size and pitch, its worth a look.:lol:

• stillsun

Posted January 02, 2007 - 04:55 AM

Most of the flywheel pullers I have sean are nothing more than fancy bolts. Just measue the hole and check the thread pitch and by a bolt at the hardware store for a $1.50. Also check your bike I have come across this a couple of times on a honda and once on a suzuki that the rear axel is the right size and pitch, its worth a look.:lol:

I never had too much luck finding bolts that had that thread diameter with that fine of a pitch... I can't remember exactly but aren't they in the M18 to M24 range and probably have a thread pitch of 1.00... won't be finding any bolts like that very easily.

J

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2007 - 09:06 AM

You risk breaking the flywheel by using a jaw puller... just get the real puller.

Josh

Don't use the 3 jaw puller!! You won't like the result. Buy the correct puller $10-$25. Plus it will also work on 90% of the off road bikes and "TOADS" (4-wheelers). money well spent.:confused:

Good advice. But don't pay more than $20, tops. If the Yamaha store doesn't have one, the Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or independent parts house will. If they were any more universal, grocery stores would stock them. They're inexpensive and available, and nothing works better.

No offense, but you are clearly unfamiliar with the flywheels used in YZ's. The thread is on the order of 25mm, is very fine, and on top of that, it's left handed. Good luck with finding a bolt to fit that. It was also intended to hold the puller only, not to bear the cranking friction of the pressure screw.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.