Best way to avoid rust on my new YZ450 given that I live on the beach?

15 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 30, 2006 - 11:17 PM

I rarely if ever ride on the beach and never get near salt water but salt is in the air and things rust quickly here. What is the best way to care for a bike subjected to this much salt? I wash the bike every few rides and then spray it down with WD40. Is it necessary to wash the bike after every ride at the track or does a little dust provide a little barrier in between my washing/WD40 baths? Wasn't as worried about my '04 WR450 but now that I'm driving to Arizona to pick up my new YZ on Tuesday I want to take care of my baby!

• BergArabia

Posted December 30, 2006 - 11:24 PM

Deisel or kerosene would be cheaper than WD40. You could brush it on..
I would still wash it every ride with sweet water.. I don't think the dust would actually help much. I could be wrong though..

• PK

Posted December 31, 2006 - 02:20 AM

I lived on South Padre Island in south Texas on Gulf of Mexico for 3 years and if anything is going to rust, it would rust there. First off, since your frame is aluminum, the majority of the big stuff is taken care of. Titanium footpegs won't rust either. The chain will be the biggest kicker but just use a chain wax like from Maxima and you should be good to go. Definitely keep the bike out of the salt water but the bike really doesn't need much more attention, you'll be fine...

• flintlock28

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:15 AM

I'd recommend Maxima Chain Guard, rather than the Maxima Chain wax. It's a much better product.

• red7

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:55 AM

I can get WD40 cheap if I buy by the Gallon and I have Maxima chain guard so it sounds like I'm off to a good start. Any other suggestions/recommendations? I am curious about the wash every ride vs every few rides question. I ride atleast 4 times a week and sometimes daily so it gets to be a lot more maintenance if I have to wash every day only to go get it dirt after an hour ride. It's mainly just dust from the track. Anyone else got suggestions on if it's that much better to wash after every ride?

• rexbond007

Posted December 31, 2006 - 09:54 AM

100% silicon spray after you wash your bike.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted December 31, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Don't wash it unless it's muddy. Some dust isn't going to hurt anything. Too much washing can cause more issues than letting it go a few rides between baths.

• red7

Posted December 31, 2006 - 11:55 PM

Don't wash it unless it's muddy. Some dust isn't going to hurt anything. Too much washing can cause more issues than letting it go a few rides between baths.

That's interesting! When I just ride track, my bike only gets dusty so I can go several weeks without getting any mud on it until I go trail riding. So it won't hurt anything to go to the track 6-8 times without washing it? I probably wouldn't go that long but it would be good to know what's ok. Also, will WD40 last that long in between washing or should I really be reapplying weekly? I just don't want any rust to touch my new baby!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DSMotorsport

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:15 AM

The only steel parts on a 06 yamaha are the chain, bearings, and parts inside the engine. Just about everything else exposed is TI, aluminum or plastic.

Other than previous advise on the chain and washing, I would recomend really keeping up on your suspension & wheel bearing greasing. That's one area where salt water moisture can get in and corrode steel parts that you wouldn't obviously see, and washing alot will only make this worse.

• red7

Posted January 03, 2007 - 11:34 AM

The only steel parts on a 06 yamaha are the chain, bearings, and parts inside the engine. Just about everything else exposed is TI, aluminum or plastic.

Other than previous advise on the chain and washing, I would recomend really keeping up on your suspension & wheel bearing greasing. That's one area where salt water moisture can get in and corrode steel parts that you wouldn't obviously see, and washing alot will only make this worse.

Yes, I just picked up my '06 yesterday and noticed how little steel there is. So is TI and aluminum 100% resistent to rust from salt water? That would be great!

Can you explain more about suspension and wheel bearing greasing? What to use, how to do it and how often?

Thanks!

• OcotilloBound

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Yes, I just picked up my '06 yesterday and noticed how little steel there is. So is TI and aluminum 100% resistent to rust from salt water? That would be great!

Can you explain more about suspension and wheel bearing greasing? What to use, how to do it and how often?

Thanks!

OK, so rub it in that you live on the beach in Mexico! (just kidding!) Pacific or Gulf side? I'm assuming you're in Baja.
It's pretty easy to guess where I ride - Ocotillo Wells. I have a trailer out there with a big garage and I keep both my bikes there throughout the season. When I'm not there I toss a blanket over them to keep the dust off. But since it is rarely muddy out there, and I tend to avoid wet locations, I have never washed either of my bikes with a hose. They just don't need it. I just wipe them down with a rag, and maybe use a little simple green around the chain guards or in dirty spots, and they are fine. No worries about rust if you don't get them wet. I've had my 250 for 4 years and it's never been sprayed off, and I continually get remarks from people about how nice the bike looks and how they can't believe it's a 96. Plus I don't have to buy a silencer plug. But it's true, exposure to salt air will cause rust quickly. I know, I lived on a boat for many years, and have sailed up and down the Mexican coast numerous times. One way I prevent rust on both bikes is always use stainless hardware if I replace something or upgrade it. Then I keep my chain lubed w/maxima or golden spectro. If you grease your bearings, use a high temp poly based wheel bearing grease, it's usually blue colored. Good stuff, will work in about any application. I use it on my bearings for my boat trailer which get dunked in salt water all the time, and while they do have bearing buddys on them, I've never had a problem with one seizing. That's about all you have to worry about. Be safe down there - it's a long flight to an american hospital if you get hurt badly.

• red7

Posted January 04, 2007 - 01:27 AM

No, not trying to rub it in but life is good down there. I live in Mazatlan so I'm on the Pacific coast of mainland. We actually have a top-notch hospital here so no worries about getting hurt.

So when I take the wheels off, what do I do to grease the bearings? Also, how often should I do it? Same goes for greasing the suspension.

BTW-I love sailing and hope to get a boat down here in the future. I'm just getting into mx so I'll do this until my body can't take any more and then I'll move to a little bit more mellow sport such as sailing.

• OcotilloBound

Posted January 06, 2007 - 08:01 PM

No, not trying to rub it in but life is good down there. I live in Mazatlan so I'm on the Pacific coast of mainland. We actually have a top-notch hospital here so no worries about getting hurt.

So when I take the wheels off, what do I do to grease the bearings? Also, how often should I do it? Same goes for greasing the suspension.

BTW-I love sailing and hope to get a boat down here in the future. I'm just getting into mx so I'll do this until my body can't take any more and then I'll move to a little bit more mellow sport such as sailing.

Sounds good to me. I just got back into MX about 4 years ago, hadn't done it since I was much younger, since I was doing a lot of sailing. I've got a few years on you, but I just don't ride as hard as I used to. But now it's my winter fun thing, and summers I just bring the bikes home and sail for fun.
Mazatlan is nice. A buddy of mine owns a resort down there at Punta Mita, nice place to visit. It gets a bit warm in summer down there though, although the higher up into the gulf, the hotter is seems. Mulege is unbearable from july-september, and Cabo's not much better, and it's about parallel with Mazatlan. But the pacific breeze hits Mazatlan better than anything north like Guaymas, where it's too damn hot as well.
I have yet to yank the wheels off of mine and lube anything, although I probably should, so I can't advise on techniques there. I would say that frequency of lubing is all dependant on how much you are riding and in how adverse of conditions. Since you are on the beach I would do it more often than the standard recommendations though.

• red7

Posted January 06, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Punta de Mita is nice (as is Sayulita north of there) and I've had some good surf days down there. Mazatlan does get hot in the Summer but I spend a lot more time surfing then riding since that is when we get all the waves. Riding has to be early in the morning or it's a steam bath!

• Chrome Speedo

Posted January 07, 2007 - 09:39 AM

WD-40 and Silicone can have their applications but I don't like them because they are designed mainly for lubrication and are slippery.

S-100 makes a spray on corrosion inhibitor that is awesome and designed for this purpose. It dries to become an ultra thin coat of wax and I believe they have tested this product for salt water. I use it on all the bikes fastners and bare steel. It will pretty much protect anything from the atmosphere.

Not many people know about it but I have been using it for years with great success. A single can seems to last a long, long time.

Good luck.

• red7

Posted January 07, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Where do you get it? How easy does it come off when you wash the bike? And where to put it as I'm surprised at how little of the bike is steel?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.