Trials Tire on the YZ report+video

14 replies to this topic
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted December 30, 2006 - 10:48 PM

Finally was able to get out for my first ride on the IRC tubeless trials tire that I mounted up on my 426 using an 18" WR wheel that I got from Moto2000 and it was incredible. :lol: :confused:

In short...this tire rips. It is incredible, it's like having an extra inch of suspension and it absorbs and grabs onto everything it rolls over. Tight single track with mud, rocks, and tree roots was a breeze. This thing did not slip unless I wanted it to. Wet tree roots while cornering? No problem. Riding up a dry streambed of softball-sized rocks with a 1/2 inch of snow on top? No problem. :crazy:

Here's a quick video of us going up a powerline road that was loose gravel covered with loose semi-compact snow and ice on it. The two bikes with knobbies had to be manhandled up the hill and pushed the last 50 yards. With the trials tire I motored right up...the videographer did not appreciate the fact that I didn't have to get off and push like he did as you can tell by his comment :confused: http://video.google....196241357492629 By the way, both my YZ426 and my buddies YZ450 run Rekluse clutches.

• BergArabia

Posted December 30, 2006 - 11:19 PM

That is so cool..
But there must have been some ice on that trail.
I think riding the sand like I do has got to be a lot easier than that.. :lol:

• torqueme

Posted December 31, 2006 - 12:13 AM

What's that white stuff on the ground???::lol:

• moto2000

Posted December 31, 2006 - 05:27 AM

In short...this tire rips. It is incredible.......

Bahh...don't believe the hype.

I contribute it to superior riding skills. :confused:

Cool write-up! :lol:

• greeny

Posted December 31, 2006 - 07:30 AM

I just got a trials tire for my yz450 and cant wait to try mine. I cant belive it worked so good in the snow.

• 642MX

Posted December 31, 2006 - 05:05 PM

I just got a trials tire for my yz450 and cant wait to try mine. I cant belive it worked so good in the snow.

I can't wait to try your trials tire either. :lol:

• Rekluse12

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:28 AM

..the videographer did not appreciate the fact that I didn't have to get off and push like he did as you can tell by his comment :lol: http://video.google....196241357492629 By the way, both my YZ426 and my buddies YZ450 run Rekluse clutches.

...No i did not like the fact that when I came up that very same hill that I had to get off and push the darn thing.
-Taylor aka videographer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:39 PM

It seems a little bit of traction goes a long way..

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 05, 2007 - 12:57 PM

***Update***
I just ran my first offroad race with the trials tire. It was mostly tight single track through the woods with lots of tree roots, rocks, and mud and lots of steep twisty ascents and descents. The tire hooked up awesomely and allowed me to pass several people on rocky and tree-rooted hillclimbs without much more thought than twisting the throttle. Had no problems at all with mud. I took first in my class and will run this tire at any series race that is in the woods!

• flintlock28

Posted February 05, 2007 - 04:25 PM

Do you think the trials tire would perform well on hardpack/shale/rocks in Coal regions??

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 05, 2007 - 08:52 PM

Do you think the trials tire would perform well on hardpack/shale/rocks in Coal regions??

I would recommend it for anything except gumbo-mud, sand dunes, MX racing, and high speed desert type riding. But for hardpack, shale, and rocks as you mention I think you would be hard pressed to find a better tire. There was a section of our course yesterday that ran right up an intermittent streambed that was all broken shale type rocks similar to 4" riprap and I was able to pass three guys that were running knobbies because they were skipping and kicking all over...every direction but straight. I just kept the power on and the front end light and the tire simply absorbed everything and tracked straight as an arrow.

• nopremix

Posted February 06, 2007 - 06:45 AM

I just spent a weekend riding on one for the first time. It was ice covered rocky terrain with an inch of snow on top. This tire worked exactly as you have described, I was truly amazed! I had my other wheel all studded up and never used it. The other 6 guys I was riding with lost all thier studs and were having all kinds of problems.

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted February 06, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I have often thought of giving them a try on my 426...After seeing this, I just may do that..

• flintlock28

Posted February 06, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like a winner for what I'll be using it for...but, I do hit the track occasionally. What is the problem with using it on a MX track??, does it just not grab? or some other problem?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 06, 2007 - 08:14 PM

Sounds like a winner for what I'll be using it for...but, I do hit the track occasionally. What is the problem with using it on a MX track??, does it just not grab? or some other problem?

There isn't much in the way of cornering knobs for extreme lean angle...even though you are in a rut or berm anyways it still kind of freaks me out. In full-on horsepower situations like starts or blasting out of a corner it won't work as well as a knobby...and you will feel the sidewall flexing and mushing around...the trials sidewall is designed to flex and absorb...exactly the opposite of a motocross tire.

Now if you are talking about going out to the track for practice days...that's a different story and it could be very serviceable. I wouldn't try launching any triples though!

I keep a knobby mounted up on my 19" wheel for the times that I'm going to the track or out to the 4th & 5th gear wide open stuff.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.