Steering Damper Questions

2 replies to this topic
  • Chuck_Nelson

Posted December 30, 2006 - 08:49 PM

OK, I got a new Scott's steering damper for Christmas. I've never had one before, so I was wondering what people usually set the clickers to. Is there a preferred method for testing the effects? I knwo I'll just have to play with it like everyone else, I'm just curious what other people have thiers set to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tony1970

Posted December 31, 2006 - 01:06 AM

The instructions indicate that 8 clicks out from the hardest setting is a good place to start. I did that and it seemed to work now I run about 9 to 10 clicks depending on the terrain. As for the high speed screw I did a search on TT and most people leave it at the factory setting. I think the instructions recommend this also so I have left it alone.

• byggd

Posted December 31, 2006 - 06:03 AM

I asked Indy this question a while back, he has logged lots of miles running a Scott’s and installed them on several bikes and here is the reply I received.

I leave my sweep at 34 degrees at all times. I think the factory position is 44 degrees. I think the Factory setting is 8 turns out for low speed main valve. I think the Factory setting is 8 - quarter turns out on the high speed circuit

In deep sand I will turn up the slow speed way up to to 12 clicks and turn down the high speed to 6 - quarter turns. Keeps the front end from knifing under.

In roots and rocks at low speeds I run the low speed at 4 clicks and high speed at 10 or 12 quarter turns out. Takes big hits on the bark busters but wont wear you out in tight stuff.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.