K&N fillter?

11 replies to this topic
  • phixeous

Posted December 30, 2006 - 04:08 PM

does anyone have a k&n fillter on there 06 YZ450F and if so what is the part number. I tried using the 03-05 part number but the fillter is to deep for the bottom of the air box. any ideas let me know thank you.

• dbrownyz450f

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:03 PM

well i have one on my 03 yz450f and it gives me 2 or 3 more hp it is sweet u can not go wrong getting one even though it is alot of money

• flintlock28

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:44 PM

I wouldn't use one....

I think for street use you can't beat them, but there have been a few people on this forum who have mentioned finding dirt that got by the K&N, that would have been stopped by a regular MX filter. I don't have personal experience with using one for MX, but after reading several posts about them passing fine dirt, I've decided to skip on the K&N.

• 642MX

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Flintlock is right. K&N's are proven to pass dirt. They work great for cars, but not very well on dirt bikes.

And they will not give you 2-3 horsepower. :lol:

• witdogg

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:53 PM

DO NOT USE A K&N ON A DIRT BIKE. They let in too much dirt and dust. If you ONLY track ride you might try it but I would clean and oil it before every race. I would never use a K&N for desert or any off-road use. You will not gain 2-3 hp either.

• hksimpson

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:55 PM

To summarize what has been said because I agree 100%:

An air filter will not give you 2-3 HP. Even on a car that makes 200HP, you would probably not see that amount.

K&N seem to work great on cars, but they do not offer the best protection from dirt and sand. I had one on my street bike, but it was never in the dirt.

The most important thing is to keep your air filter clean and oiled and make sure it is sealed/seated correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bmartin

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:17 PM

Dirt Track bikes all run K&N air filters and have no problem with dirt getting through. Keep in mind they are not in an airbox and exposed to significantly more dirt than in an airbox.

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Dirt Track bikes all run K&N air filters and have no problem with dirt getting through. Keep in mind they are not in an airbox and exposed to significantly more dirt than in an airbox.

They are also exposed to significantly less dust, generally speaking. Bad argument, I'm afraid.

The truth is that K&N filters actually filter better than almost all foam filters *IF* they are properly oiled. Unfortunately, this is so difficult to accomplish that very few K&N's ever get oiled thoroughly, and fail to stop dust because of it.

• dbrownyz450f

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:33 AM

i am sorry i was thinking of something else but i do have one and it works fine for me but i clean it every 2 rides and if it is dry out and real dusty i clean it every ride but most people say that is alot but atlwast i can say nothing gets past that i can see

• Bigcr

Posted January 02, 2007 - 10:55 AM

i am sorry i was thinking of something else but i do have one and it works fine for me but i clean it every 2 rides and if it is dry out and real dusty i clean it every ride but most people say that is alot but atlwast i can say nothing gets past that i can see

Huh?:lol: Was that English?

• mxrayser

Posted January 04, 2007 - 12:58 AM

Ive got one on my 450 and it works fine if properly oiled like grayracer said. If Im riding solo its good, but if Im riding with a group in the desert I usually use a foam filter

• Ga426owner

Posted January 04, 2007 - 06:37 AM

Be careful if you use a K&N...they will pass their own oil if they are over oiled. I have had one on my truck...they are great because you do not have to reoil all the time..5-10k miles.....they make no since to me on a dirtbike:excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.