calling all engine builders

4 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted December 30, 2006 - 03:40 PM

:lol: for my all out assault on this years HS season,i'm losing weight getting in shape and doing the same for my 05yz450. now i'd considered big boring a 250f but that would mean a new bike and then new everything else etc. etc. so my wife agreed to let me do some upgrades as long as i didn't have to buy a new bike. so i'm changin' to a 05 WR frame for lower COG(i really like the 4spd;so no i shouldn't just get a WR),i'm lowering the rads via PWR,got some ti axles and hardware. alum sprocket and reg EK chain,lighter tires and removing/drilling everything that doesn't matter. so all that said and done i know that this engine has some monstrous gyro effect,and the only way to battle that is to lighten the crank. falicon offers a service to take 16-20 oz's off....BUT you run into balancing problems...sooo,they also offer a destroked crank (63.4mm down to 60.5) that puts it right about at a 400 crank (60.1mm) they also have a knife rod for this application ready to go(or if need be,make a custom rod) this setup would allow the weight to be taken off the crank and keeping balance. ok, now if i've got this right that would mean a longer rod to work with the stock 450 cyl height;correct? now that we've got all that straight? what would this do to power delivery,i know peak power will more than likely be down,but will it be a broader/smoother,or peaky/nasty kinda power. also does the fact that there is less reciprocating weight(use a lighter piston and their rod is lighter) negate the loss of crank weight. example: it will be more like a 400 than a 450 with less crank weight(no flywheel effect)? i can do this for just over $1k :confused:

• KJ790

Posted December 30, 2006 - 03:50 PM

My suggestion is leave the crank alone. No sense in potentially making it less reliable. Get the kit that eliminates the oil tank in the frame. This makes the bike much lighter and lowers the center of gravity.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigbluerider4life

Posted December 30, 2006 - 03:58 PM

wow...well you should leave the crank alone

get a set of aftermarket or wr cams for power changes...possibly a pipe

good luck on your prodject

• ncmountainman

Posted December 30, 2006 - 03:58 PM

My suggestion is leave the crank alone. No sense in potentially making it less reliable. Get the kit that eliminates the oil tank in the frame. This makes the bike much lighter and lowers the center of gravity.

apparantly the supermoto fellers use this setup without trouble and you know how they scream them things:crazy:less oil is not something i'd consider.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 30, 2006 - 04:01 PM

wow...well you should leave the crank alone

get a set of aftermarket or wr cams for power changes...possibly a pipe

good luck on your prodject

got a crower G1 on the way (bottom end SX cam) and its already piped. peak power is not an issue. it already has too much to start with,i'm more about moving the power down lower in the rpms/ smoother,more torque;and the main reason for the above is to eliminate gyro effect:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.