12,000 mile XR650L

18 replies to this topic
  • tobinbakner

Posted December 30, 2006 - 01:52 PM

I’m looking at buying a 2003 Honda XR650L. I’ve haven’t had a chance to look at it yet but I’ve talked to the owner on the phone. The bike has 12,000 miles on it. He says it hasn’t been wrecked. Assuming the bike looks to be in good shape should I be concerned about the high mileage? Most of the ones I see for sale have fewer miles on them. How many miles do you typically get out of these engines? How much does a rebuild cost? Is there anything I should look for when I go to look at the bike? What would you think is a reasonable price for the bike?

Thanks

Tobin

• rebelventurer

Posted December 30, 2006 - 02:26 PM

Welcome to TT.
The mileage is a non issue, maintenance is! These bikes will run 30,000 miles if maintained right.
A rebuild done right is around $1500 in quality parts and machine shop bore, and head work. Piston, pin, rings, valves, valve springs, keepers, cam, rockers, cam chain, cam chain guide and tensioner, gaskets and seals.
Look for oil leaks, excessive engine noise, look at the oil thats in it, air filter if its filthy its a good indication of lack of maintenance. Look at the suspension components, specifically rear shock linkages and swing arm. Get the bike on a stand and move the rear wheel up and down feel for slop, same with swing arm except move side to side. Check the chain and rear sprocket, if its worn out its also an indication of poor maintenance habits. Make a list of things you find, and make an offer with consideration for any repairs that need to be done.
When looking at used bikes, I prefer bone stock, to one with aftermarket parts on it. You know exactly what you have, and chances are one with aftermarket parts has been rode hard and put up wet.
I have an 04 XR650L with almost 11K miles on it, bought it for $3200 was bone stock with just a few scratches on the plastic, with all highway miles on it. Original tires, it had 3000 miles on it when I bought it.
I would say that if its clean, and well maintained, needs no parts or service $3000 would be a fair value.
If you get it, change the oil, filter, air filter and spark plug before you start putting miles on it.
Good luck, let us know what happens!

• Jeff Brock

Posted December 30, 2006 - 05:32 PM

Check engine compression with a tester...it should be around 200psi.

• frankstr

Posted December 30, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Welcome to Thumpertalk,tobinbakner.....enjoy the ride......

:lol: :confused:

• rebelventurer

Posted December 30, 2006 - 06:10 PM

I was going to reccomend a compression test but you have to remove the seat, tank and wings to get to the sparkplug. Usually a bike lacking compression will be hard to start and/or smoke some, so let it warm up and rev it up a few times, no blue smoke you should be alright, provided it fires right up. Also seat of the pants will tell you a lot.
However if you choose to do the compression test, the numbers you want to see are 92 psi at less than 400 rpm, decompession device activated, and 199 psi at greater than 400 rpm which is the engine speed that the decompression device deactivates. Basically with the electric starter engaged you will be spinning the motor less than 400 rpm so the correct reading should be 92 psi. You gotta watch some of the newbie qoutes and advise. :lol: the above numbers are straight out of the Honda manual for the bike.
Make sure you ride the bike more than 5 minutes and make sure it shifts smoothly up and down. Once again Good luck, and let us know what you find!

• xrltim

Posted December 31, 2006 - 09:59 AM

I've just paid for all the necessary components to rebuild my 650L. It cost me $160 for a new piston, rings, and wrist pin. $50 for the bore job/piston fitment. $100 for a valve job with new seals. (no bent valves or broken springs) I got head and cyl. base gaskets new from ebay for $22 and a new clutch for $14 but I may keep it as a spare. With my new piston/compression ratio I'll be fanning the clutch a little more so I might go with a better quality one and save myself some trouble. Aside from replacing a few head bolts and having helicoils installed that is about it so far, except for oil, filter and a new plug. Don't be afraid to tackle a rebuild yourself. This is one of the easiest engines I've ever worked on, a little heavy humping it out of the frame but other than that it's high school engine shop stuff.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 31, 2006 - 11:09 AM

xrltim, thats not a rebuild! its a partial top end. What about cam, cam chain, rockers, rocker pivots, valve springs, keepers, valve guides, cam chain tensioner? Did they put new valve guides in if not, no sense in replacing valves, without the guides, and valve springs.
Not knocking you but the man asked what a rebuild would be, not a partial!
But I do agree with you on the fact that they are easy to work on!

• tobinbakner

Posted December 31, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I’m going to look at it tomorrow. He’s asking $2600.00. I’m a little skeptical about the condition because that’s on the low side of KBB. I usually see them go for more than that on ebay but most of the ones I see have a lot less mile than that so it’s hard to compare. I like the idea of doing a compression test but since you have to tear everything off it may not be feasible. If anything seems strange on the test ride I’ll insist on doing one.

Thanks

Tobin

• rebelventurer

Posted December 31, 2006 - 03:56 PM

If your riding it jan. 1 2007, take your rain gear! and good luck! $2600 is not bad providing its all good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldchvytrx

Posted December 31, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I’m looking at buying a 2003 Honda XR650L. I’ve haven’t had a chance to look at it yet but I’ve talked to the owner on the phone. The bike has 12,000 miles on it. He says it hasn’t been wrecked. Assuming the bike looks to be in good shape should I be concerned about the high mileage? Most of the ones I see for sale have fewer miles on them. How many miles do you typically get out of these engines? How much does a rebuild cost? Is there anything I should look for when I go to look at the bike? What would you think is a reasonable price for the bike?

Thanks

Tobin

>>>><<<<<
Tobin,
I bought a 2002 650L last year for about $2400 with about the same miles (11,500). I changed oil, greased all the suspension fittings, cleaned the air filter and put a 4 gal IMS tank on it. I rode it all that summer (05) and did a 400 mile dual sport ride with some friends in April (06) rode it the rest of the summer and did a 500mile dual sport ride in Utah in Sept. I'm a fairly agressive rider and also ride a 04 CRF 250X so I do push my L a bit. It isn't a great single track bike, a bit heavy and slow handling but it does a great job on the two tracks and fire roads. Good slider, predictable, dependable, decent suspension for a BIG bike, and most of all absorbs abuse with out a wimper. On the road it does a very good job as well I've held it a Interstate speeds (65-70) for hours. It was my first "Big Bore" Dual Sport bike and a I don't regret the purchase one bit.
Basically the only thing I've done till now is gas, oil changes and put over 2500 miles on it. I did use a small amount of oil (pint every 800-1000 miles) so I decided to do a top end on it this winter.
I'm putting a Wiseco 102.4mm big bore piston kit in it ($150+$50 for the bore & hone), Cometic gasket kit for the big bore ($22), Kibblewhite Black Diamond valves (approx $30 ea.), valve seats ground ($85), OEM valve seals (?), Hot Cam just because :lol: ($140), rt side cover gasket ($10?), rocker box gasket ($8?). Total ends up being a little over $600 with shop supplies and an oil filter. I'm doing all but the machine work myself.
The bottom end is pretty bullet proof as long as reasonable maintainance was done. The reason for the side cover gasket on mine was simply to check the clutch and oil pumps and clean the pick-up screen and I found no problems with anything.
Unless the bike was beat mercilessly I wouldn't worry about a total rebuild..... if it was I wouldn't buy it anyway.
Check the bike out using the advice many of the other posters have already given, most of it is spot-on.
:confused: :confused: :crazy:

• xrltim

Posted December 31, 2006 - 10:53 PM

The reason I'm rebuilding it at all is because of excessive smoking. I had the valve seats done about 2k ago. I didn't check the piston or rings at that time and it turns out I should've. The motor shoudln't need the cam, cam chain, tensioner or springs with only 12k. I put over 40k on my DR350 without ever doing anything besides the clutch. It ran fine when I sold it. So, yes I'm only doing a partial but the parts I'm not touching should only be at their half life, if that. I've got just over 10K on my motor. I don't know why it started smoking like crazy, nobody could give me a good answer without checking the bore. I'm hoping this will be the last time I have to pull this motor apart.

• ttmojo1

Posted January 01, 2007 - 07:10 AM

What rebelventurer said + whenever I go to purchase a bike:
1 take stand-in 1 minute you can check swingarm,steerng head,wheel bearings
2 look at nuts and bolts-if it looks like they been working on it w/wrong size or
an adjustable wrench-walk away
3 look for gooped on gasket sealent-yes?-walk away
4 look at guys garage-if his tools are laying on the floor-probably walk away
disorganized is 50/50 call but if he doesnt take care of his tools you can bet
he doesnt care about the bike.
I would rather buy a stock bike w/minimal maintenance than a
bike thats been highly maintained by a guy that nurls up the nuts and bolts.
Guys that do this havnt learned the first lesson in mechanical repair-
Dont make the problem worse than it already is!!!!!
Good luck

Tony

• tobinbakner

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Well I looked at the bike. The left mirror is broken, the shift lever is bent, left front turn signal is broken (held on by electrical tape), the brake light and license plate holder is broken (held on by duct tape), both tires needed to be replaced, sprockets are worn, battery is dead, the side cover was off exposing the air filter, and the bike is stored outside. Needless to say I passed. I guess I’ll keep looking. Thanks everyone for you advice.

Tobin

• rebelventurer

Posted January 01, 2007 - 01:13 PM

What a shame, pure waste of a bike, I would of offered $100 to relieve him of his burden. Or reported him to the MHS (motorcycle humane society)

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:04 AM

Re: 12,000 mile XR650L

Well I looked at the bike. The left mirror is broken, the shift lever is bent, left front turn signal is broken (held on by electrical tape), the brake light and license plate holder is broken (held on by duct tape), both tires needed to be replaced, sprockets are worn, battery is dead, the side cover was off exposing the air filter, and the bike is stored outside. Needless to say I passed. I guess I’ll keep looking. Thanks everyone for you advice.

Tobin

<<<<<>>>>
Damn!
What a shame. Keep looking, your scooter is out there somewhere

• globalwad

Posted September 05, 2016 - 02:46 PM

4 look at guys garage-if his tools are laying on the floor-probably walk away

You're an idiot, lol

• brianhare

Posted September 05, 2016 - 03:30 PM

And you just replied to a 9 year old thread,, :lol:

B

• hollerhead

Posted September 05, 2016 - 04:01 PM

And he's calling the other dude an idiot... :wacko:

• mcma111

Posted September 06, 2016 - 02:38 AM

Whose the IDIOT now??? :facepalm:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.