06 450 jetting with an AP Modded carb

4 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted December 30, 2006 - 07:32 AM

I know there are many threads on jetting but I was wondering what you guys think jetting might be if I have the AP Mod done to my carb and I live in Florida. I noticed recently it has a bit of a backfire. I noticed the screw that goes into the carb that holds the idle screw bracket to the carb is missing I don't know if this has anything to do with the backfiring but it was the only time I noticed it. So maybe if I replace that screw it might go away but I doubt it. I will keep my eye on it and see if its still backfiring after i replace it. I think I read that backfiring is caused from a lean condition, perhaps this is whats going on with mine. Correct me if I am wrong.

Is jetting these things any harder than tearing apart a 2 stroke carb to jet it? This is my first dance with a 4 stroke.

• kxman

Posted December 30, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Wireing the AP will not really have an effect on you jetting set up. Put in a 45 pilot and a 168 main and get a zip-ty extended fuel screw. Start with the fuel screw out 1.75 turns and adjust from there. These are just suggestions as there are many variables in jetting. Don't worry about a little bit of popping on decel. Oh, and that screw that goes through the float bowl and holds you idle adjuster bracket on, replace it of course.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • djtroy

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Wireing the AP will not really have an effect on you jetting set up. Put in a 45 pilot and a 168 main and get a zip-ty extended fuel screw. Start with the fuel screw out 1.75 turns and adjust from there. These are just suggestions as there are many variables in jetting. Don't worry about a little bit of popping on decel. Oh, and that screw that goes through the float bowl and holds you idle adjuster bracket on, replace it of course.

Thank you for the tips I will let you know how it works out. How hard is it to work on the carb compared to 2 stroke carbs?

• kxman

Posted January 01, 2007 - 03:13 PM

Well, the basics are the same. Of course you do have some added complexity due to the AP circuit, and as you will find out they are more difficult to access. This was compounded by the aluminum frame. The pilot and main jets I had left over from my KX250 work on this carb.

• red7

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:08 PM

Well, the basics are the same. Of course you do have some added complexity due to the AP circuit, and as you will find out they are more difficult to access. This was compounded by the aluminum frame. The pilot and main jets I had left over from my KX250 work on this carb.

That last sentence was a pleasant surprise as I was just about to do a search to find out if my jets will work on a buddies KX250.:lol:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.