Please listen to my starter and tell me what's wrong

48 replies to this topic
  • Toinky

Posted January 11, 2008 - 02:36 PM

I want to revisit this thread because, in spite of getting lots of "miles" out of my rebuilt starter, it is now doing the same thing. In fact, I got more miles out of the rebuild than I did the original, likely because of how I used the button differently (see above).

What I'd like to know is if anyone has found the exact part match for the bearing. Indy_WR450 suggested a way to get the exact bushing in rulon from a distributor. However, when I call the distributor (Tri-Star Plastics/tstar.com) , they tell me, in spite of what the catalog implies, that the part number (see Indiy's post a few messages back) is a special order. This unfortunately means a minimum order of something like 500 pieces and lost of bucks.

So, has anyone successfully replaced the rear bushing/bearing in the starter of a WR450?

• pmy007

Posted January 22, 2008 - 10:31 PM

My 06 WR 450 is making that same screeching noise when i try to start it,cold or hot. also if i stall it, it seems like the starter is engaging and it makes that death sound. I have switched to kicking it but was wondering if anyone found a solution to the problem w/o having to buy a new starter :cool:

• dirtysouth

Posted January 22, 2008 - 10:55 PM

Just for those that have the same problem in the future do the fix right and buy:

[COLOR="Red"]9mm id x 13mm od Rulon bushing x 10mm long and cut it to the length needed without the need to shim![/COLOR]

Rulon is an excellent dry self lubricating bearing material.

[COLOR="Blue"]Rulon-Meldin Part # MRS0913-10 is a sleeve and #MRF0913-10 is a flanged end sleeve.[/COLOR]
Go to page 16 of this catalog: http://www.rulon-mel...merBearings.pdf

[COLOR="blue"]US Distributors of Rulon-Meldin Products:[/COLOR]

http://www.rulon-mel...utor_finder.asp

:applause: For all of you who don't know now ya know...This guy's head not only has a brain but it also has a cage of death with like 10 trials bikes ridin around and around in it. And in the back near the medula oblongata is a roll up door with a full service bike shop. Every single time I have had a serious issue and posted it in this forum a couple days go by then a puff of smoke appears behind my Monitor as I check my post for replies...and Indy grants another wish.
BTW have daily ridden my 05 since new and the easy button is still workin nice. Used daily. Although I hit it in like 1-2 second intervals.:cool:

• dirtysouth

Posted January 22, 2008 - 10:59 PM

My 06 WR 450 is making that same screeching noise when i try to start it,cold or hot. also if i stall it, it seems like the starter is engaging and it makes that death sound. I have switched to kicking it but was wondering if anyone found a solution to the problem w/o having to buy a new starter :cool:

Check the quote in my previous post then read back through these threads. Think they nailed it down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450high

Posted January 23, 2008 - 02:32 AM

This is a very easy and cheap fix.Strip the starter then to remove the rear bush just thread a thread tap or bolt thru the bush to push it out of the rear housing.Now go to a bearing shop and get a new bush.THE NEW BUSH WILL BE LONGER AND HAVE A LARGER OUT SIDE DIAMETER but the shaft side will be correct.(take the armeture to ensure correct inside diameter.Now find a mate or machine shop with a lathe .The can easy run down the outside diameter to fit in the housing snug then just cut it to the excact length.This cost me $7 ausstralian about nothing american? for a bush and a six pack of bear.Mine ran great after wards.Yamaha also tried to sell me a new starter for $4oo aus and said it couldn't be repaired.?For the price of a new starter you could get a cheap lathe and make a few to sell to other riders.Hope this helps dave.

• Toinky

Posted January 25, 2008 - 02:58 PM

:applause: For all of you who don't know now ya know...This guy's head not only has a brain but it also has a cage of death with like 10 trials bikes ridin around and around in it. And in the back near the medula oblongata is a roll up door with a full service bike shop. Every single time I have had a serious issue and posted it in this forum a couple days go by then a puff of smoke appears behind my Monitor as I check my post for replies...and Indy grants another wish.
BTW have daily ridden my 05 since new and the easy button is still workin nice. Used daily. Although I hit it in like 1-2 second intervals.:cool:

With all due respect to you, dirtysouth, and especially to Indy,:busted: although I share your assessment of Indy's knowledge and helpfulness, in this case, what you post as a statement of Indy solving the problem, didn't. Look at my post dated 1-11-08--the right bearing is not really available. My point here is not to say Indy missed one, rather that the problem is still not solved. I'm still looking for a way to order the right sized bearing.

• pmy007

Posted February 20, 2008 - 02:48 PM

Well, after messin with this thing for a couple of weeks:bonk:
I had to take it in and replace the starter motor. cost me around $320.
its the only money i have really spent on the bike besides a tire and oil changes in the last 2 years.

• a7morelli09

Posted February 27, 2008 - 01:25 PM

yea i had that same sound and i took my starter apart and just lubed the bearings and now it works great hope this helps
anthony

• paulkimson

Posted March 06, 2011 - 05:21 AM

I had fixed it with changing of starter clutch and more parts.

But after 1 year of riding, samething happen again.

I want to have a good alternative answer for the problem.

Thank you!

Paul

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.