Why do I have an external throttle return spring?

5 replies to this topic
  • fishwater

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:18 AM

I was checking my throttle cables on my 01 426 & after removing the plastic cover I found a small return spring hooked up to the top of the wheel when looking at the cables directly on the carb. I have also noticed a noise when I move the throttle with the engine off as the spring is contacting the cover. The throttle returns but very (in my opinion) very slowly. The cables are not frayed & I don't think this spring belongs there but it does look factory. The throttle end of the cables look fine but they do move when I open or close the throttle.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 29, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Check your manual .. for the carb picture.

• fishwater

Posted December 29, 2006 - 12:02 PM

Check your manual .. for the carb picture.

I did & I do not see the spring. I also checked the parts breakdown on micro fiche & do not see it. I do not think it should be there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 29, 2006 - 02:27 PM

The FCR carburetor has no internal spring as traditional round slide carbs did. They are equipped with a torsion coil spring at the throttle cable wheel. Check the throttle shaft and the slide itself for dirt and gum if it is still stiff with both the cables disconnected.

• fishwater

Posted December 29, 2006 - 02:44 PM

The FCR carburetor has no internal spring as traditional round slide carbs did. They are equipped with a torsion coil spring at the throttle cable wheel. Check the throttle shaft and the slide itself for dirt and gum if it is still stiff with both the cables disconnected.

So the spring is supposed to be there? I did not see it in any pics in the manual or on the parts breakdown. This spring is horizontal & mounted to the top of the wheel as well as the bracket where the throttle cables are adjusted.

Also, should I hear it contact the plastic cover when the throttle is opened & closed? The spring is stretched in one area where the wheel contacts it, can I tighten the spring at all or should I just replace it?

• grayracer513

Posted December 29, 2006 - 06:05 PM

The only spring you should have is the one shown on the throttle shaft in the illustration below. The shaft is not called out because it isn't serviced, but the accelerator pump rod, #37, is pointing directly to it. If there is any other spring present, it was added on, probably to solve some kind of problem.

Remember, I said a torsion coil. A torsion coil, sometimes called a hairpin or mousetrap spring, winds around something and rotates it. A compression coil pushes, and a tension coil pulls. You should only have a torsion coil.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.