Who bought a Yamaha because they are tall?

21 replies to this topic
  • longdrink

Posted December 29, 2006 - 07:47 AM

From the specs the Yami is the talles of the 450's by almost an inch.

The footpegs are also easy to mod and lower.

I'm 6'5" and have leaned toward Yamaha Juast because of this.

Any others?

• NDC

Posted December 29, 2006 - 07:57 AM

Not sure what year or model you are referring too, but I have an 06 450F and although I'm only 5'6" I feel more comfortable on it than my 04 CRF450R. :lol:

• yami racer

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:04 AM

It may be taller off the ground but the cabin is a bit tight...You will need taller bars (Windhams or CR High) and probably have to lower the foot-pegs.

• Smokeslider

Posted December 29, 2006 - 09:06 AM

I'm 6'5" as well and I put on the KX High Pro Tapers Bars as well as +10 mm Bar Mounts, this bike feels roomier than my YZ400. The Footpegs probably aren't quite as important if your knees aren't too bad but you may want a tall seat

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted December 29, 2006 - 09:36 AM

RC- high bar twinwall with stock bar mounts(It is as tall as you can go without getting a longer brake line).
Footpeg mod.
CEET taller seat foam.
Seems pretty good to me 6'7":thumbsup:

• SaddleBackAgain

Posted December 29, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Guess I'm short at 6-0", but the mags all say the bike is cramped for anybody bigger than average.
My size 11 boots were tight on my 07 yz450. Couldn't get under the shifter easily, and hit the rear brake unexpectedly (during a hard jump landing once!!!).
I just put Fastway F3's on in the lowboy position. Much better! Opened things up nicely and helped with thecontrols.
One note: you have to buy their peg mounts for the yammie aluminum frames to use in low-boy. $60.00

• BergArabia

Posted December 29, 2006 - 07:34 PM

I am 5 foot 7 and I wish it was shorter to be honest but hey it is still awesome..

• flintlock28

Posted December 30, 2006 - 05:20 AM

Are the Fastway F3's the pegs that have the raised center teeth?

I know there is a manufacturer that makes pegs with a taller Middle row of teeth, than the other teeth.

thanx

• Darcangelo

Posted December 30, 2006 - 06:52 AM

im 5,6 and find the bike a bit tall, i dropped forks 10mm at the front, now i want to lower the back, i checked my sag, it 95mm, can i take that sag to 105mm? to drop the back a bit, also thinking about a cutting seat foam a bit. Any ideas guys??

• PK

Posted December 30, 2006 - 10:29 AM

I bought it because the yellow brings out my green eyes and platinum hair...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmauto69

Posted December 30, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I know there is a manufacturer that makes pegs with a taller Middle row of teeth, than the other teeth.

thanx

no, that would be the Moose pegs.

• SaddleBackAgain

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:08 PM

thanx

The White Bros pegs are the nicest with a raised center ridge. (standard fit, no lowboy option) But the F3's have replaceable pins (small hex screws actually) in different heights. I put taller in the middle, smaller front and back rows to mimic the WB design.

• NM_KDX200

Posted January 04, 2007 - 03:33 AM

im 5,6 and find the bike a bit tall, i dropped forks 10mm at the front, now i want to lower the back, i checked my sag, it 95mm, can i take that sag to 105mm? to drop the back a bit, also thinking about a cutting seat foam a bit. Any ideas guys??

I'm 5' 6" too. I have my forks on the 1st ring sag at 100 mm but I did cut the seat foam about 1" into a step shape- its stock behind the step. That helped a bunch. I wish it was 1" lower, but it's not, so I guess I'll just deal with it.

• StPeters21

Posted January 05, 2007 - 09:44 PM

I'm 6'3" and I've had a '03, '04, and a '06. For some reason I like the YZ's. They feel comfortable to me, eventhough I still have to do several things to them... due to I'm tall.

• swab400

Posted January 07, 2007 - 11:06 PM

I definately did! I am 6'4" and love my yamaha!!:lol:

• BergArabia

Posted January 08, 2007 - 04:33 PM

I bought it because the yellow brings out my green eyes and platinum hair...

Best reason so far ...
:lol:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 08, 2007 - 11:25 PM

I'm 6'2" and put on Windham bend ProTapers and lowered the stock pegs on my 06. It made a world of difference it making the bike feel roomier. I have a friend with an 06 that is all stock and I feel like a monkey f-in a football on the thing compared to my bike.

• dirty_southmx

Posted January 10, 2007 - 05:08 PM

I have a 2004 CRF 450 and have been leaning toward a new YZF 450. How do they compare?

• kizzle426

Posted January 10, 2007 - 05:45 PM

I'm 6' 2" and I felt more comfortable on my 426 than other brand/price range bikes. I got taller bars and I still need to drop the footpegs and get a tall seat. It's still comfortable to ride but it's a little hard to go from a sit to a stand very quickly. I think the taller seat and foot pegs would help that a little. Hmmmm. Maybe that's just cuz I'm a tad bit out of shape :lol:

• SaddleBackAgain

Posted January 10, 2007 - 09:26 PM

I have a 2004 CRF 450 and have been leaning toward a new YZF 450. How do they compare?

Many differences. See this thread from guys who have gone from CRFs to Blue: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=419790

The MXA shootout just published does a fair job of explaining too. They just reached the wrong conclusion from the facts :lol:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.