O-ring Chain?

23 replies to this topic
  • Smokeslider

Posted December 28, 2006 - 11:38 PM

OK, kinda a newb with some things, just put on the new regina o-ring chain. What do I need to clean this thing with? Those o-rings seem pretty sensitive and I don't want to ruin the investment, also chain from box seems bit stiff and globbed with stickiness. Will it loosen up with the first ride? Thanks for the help.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2006 - 11:54 PM

Wipe the new chain fairly clean with a rag and mineral spirits, then lube it with Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, or a similar product. MSCG dries to a very low tack, is nearly greaseless, stays on, and gathers very little dirt. It also washes off pretty well with Simple Green and a garden hose.

Avoid using pressure washer at angles that would allow water to be forced under the rings.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted December 29, 2006 - 09:01 PM

I use the Bel-Ray chain lube and love it. But beware, alot of guys hate it because it makes your chain white.

• BergArabia

Posted December 30, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I spray my bike clean after every ride (I ride in sand here). Yes I try not to pressure spray in the links.
I use a chain wax straight after. So far it works pretty well.

• red7

Posted December 30, 2006 - 11:13 PM

Wipe the new chain fairly clean with a rag and mineral spirits, then lube it with Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, or a similar product. MSCG dries to a very low tack, is nearly greaseless, stays on, and gathers very little dirt. It also washes off pretty well with Simple Green and a garden hose.

Avoid using pressure washer at angles that would allow water to be forced under the rings.

I just got the same chain and Maxima chain guard. So how often should I lube it? After every wash or can it go a bit in between? Also, I live on the beach and spray the bike down with WD40 after washing it to keep away the rust. Should I hit the chain as well or will the Maxima do the same? I'll inevitably get some WD40 on it as I spray quite a bit over the metal parts. I just can't be careful enough living this close to the ocean.

• flintlock28

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:11 AM

The WD-40 is more of a Water displacer than anything. You'll be fine to wash the bike, and then apply the WD-40. The WD will "displace" the water and keep the chain from rusting. I would wash the bike, dry the bulk of the water off the chain by using a dry rag, and then apply the WD-40. Than next time you ride, I'd apply the Maxima before the ride. Most chemical's out there, will not bother the "o" rings, what will kill the chain is if you use high pressure on the "o" rings. That will force out the lube, and the chain will begin to die. "o" ring chain's last a long time as long as you don't blow out the lube. I'd probably apply the Mxima every third ride or so.

• red7

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Cool, that's good to know. I was worried that some how the WD40 would work against the Maxima or damage the o-ring chain.

• rexbond007

Posted December 31, 2006 - 10:01 AM

my bike parts guy told me the best o-ring lube, to keep o-rings in shape was to wash bike. spray 100% silicon in o rings then use chain lube.

The silicon is to keep the o rings soft, ply-able and swelled.

and this guy is sponsored , Track racing his GSXR 750

• CRF450-RIDER

Posted December 31, 2006 - 10:09 AM

ok so i have a brand new O-ring chain on my bike..after my first ride ill wash my bike and wash the chain ... then what??? spray WD40 then chain lube??

• rexbond007

Posted December 31, 2006 - 12:18 PM

I just put a new chain on too,
after my ride when i wash my bike, i'm going to spray silicon in the o-rings,
then lube up the chain. And let it sit till next ride.
Most guys i ride with, wash their bike, let it sit all week . Lube the chain at the staging area. and the oil flings off, from first to second gear.

you decide what you want to do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF450-RIDER

Posted December 31, 2006 - 01:44 PM

will wd40 mess up my chain??
i have belray chain lube that says 'ok for Orings' is that ok

• rexbond007

Posted December 31, 2006 - 03:03 PM

will wd40 mess up my chain??
i have belray chain lube that says 'ok for Orings' is that ok

WD 40 is a water displacement spray thus the title "WD" a very thin oil spray. i'm sure it will do no harm, but personally i think it is not money well spent when comes down to lubricating a chain.
yes, belray is "ok" ,use it. I use it!

in the past i have ruined an o-ring chain that only had 60 hrs on it.
I sprayed it with water, and did not lube it right away. When I took it off the bike links were stiff and it had dried up o rings. This can affect horse power and drag.

• flintlock28

Posted December 31, 2006 - 05:32 PM

WD-40 will not hurt the chain at all....however, it isn't the best thing to lubricate with, because long term it's carriers evaporate, and it won't protect long term. It's best to use just after you wash the bike, to displace Water.

What to do:

1) Wash the chain using low pressure from a garden hose, or you can use a high pressure nozzle IF you move back several feet to lessen the pressure.

2) Get yourself a "Grunge brush" it is a red plastic brush with Nylon bristles that is specifically designed not to hurt your "o" ring or non-"o" ring chain, You'll find them at your MX dealer.

3) Use the Grunge brush, along with water from the hose, and also Simple Green if you like to scrub the chain of dirt, grit, etc. The chain will now be relatively clean.

4) You don't have to, but I like to wipe the chain with a dry Cotton towel to get the BULK of the water off. You don't need to get all of the water off.

5) Spray the chain with WD-40, it will displace the remaining water, and prevent rust (short term), If your going to ride again within about a week or two, the WD-40 alone is fine. If it's gonna be longer than about two weeks or so, than spray the chain with Maxima Synthetic Chain guard.

6) right before I ride, I give a short little squirt of the Maxima Syn Chain Guard.

You don't need to do this after every ride, but when you feel the chain is getting dirty or gritty....you'll develop a "feel" for when to do it.

Every couple of months or so, I like to take the chain off of the bike and let it sit in a shallow pan of Kerosene for about an hour. Than I use the grunge brush on it while it's in the pan of Kerosene to really get it clean.

WARNING...don't leave the chain soak in kerosene for more than about a day. I left an older chain bathing in Kerosene one time for about 5 days, and it began to Rust!!! I couldn't believe it, but my neighbor (A chemist) told me that kerosene is a goofy chemical that can have water in it, or absorb water.
I was sure that the kerosene would displace any Water, but I was wrong.

Hope this helps.

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:18 PM

6) right before I ride, I give a short little squirt of the Maxima Syn Chain Guard.

Every couple of months or so, I like to take the chain off of the bike and let it sit in a shallow pan of Kerosene for about an hour. Than I use the grunge brush on it while it's in the pan of Kerosene to really get it clean.

These two areas are the only disagreement I have with what you've said. I apply Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard at least 8 hours prior to riding. That way, it has time to evaporate all of the "vehicle" solvents that carry the lube out of the can, and let it spread and penetrate. Giving it time to do this is the difference between a chain lube that stays on and one that flies off, and in one that stays clean and one that picks up dirt. Normally, I wash the bikes after each ride, and lube the chain the next day, after the water has air dried. I don't use WD-40.

Also, I don't soak the chains to clean them. To me, this just runs the risk of attacking the rings, or having slovent leak into the pins. I could be wrong. In fact, normally, I put the chain on the bike, and it stays there until it dies, which seems to be around two years.

• Captaincautious7

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:27 PM

I was always told just the opposite. Using wd40 or equivalent could cause the orings to swell and split. Which is right?

• grayracer513

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:23 PM

It depends on the rubber compound used in the seals. Some are susceptible, most, I would guess, are not.

However, WD-40 is mostly solvents and water dispersants, and very little real rust protection with almost no lubricating ability. There is no compelling reason to use it at all, IMO.

• NM_KDX200

Posted January 03, 2007 - 08:40 AM

I just got the same chain and Maxima chain guard. So how often should I lube it?

The little reminder at the top of this page says I haven't posted in a few weeks and "how about contributing to the discussion", so here goes! My contribution:

Me, too!

:lol:

I like the Chain Guard except that the nozzle on mine is messed up and a lot of fluid get caught in the top and makes a mess when the can falls over on the floor. Aside from that, NE New Mexico just got hit with the worst winter storm since 1957 and it might be March before I can go riding again, unless I go down to (shudder....) Texas.

• red7

Posted January 03, 2007 - 11:28 AM

It depends on the rubber compound used in the seals. Some are susceptible, most, I would guess, are not.

However, WD-40 is mostly solvents and water dispersants, and very little real rust protection with almost no lubricating ability. There is no compelling reason to use it at all, IMO.

Grayracer, do you have something you'd recommend for rust protection....not just for the chain but the bike in general? Since I live on the beach I've been using WD40 after washing the bike to try and keep the salt in the air off of my chain and bike. Also, now that I just got my '06 YZ450 I noticed that most of the bike is aluminum or TI, what parts are necessary to spray with something to ebate rust? I'd been spraying the whole bike on my '04 WR450 but I'm going through a lot of WD40?

• DRTYHRRY

Posted January 03, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I use WD-40, not to lubricate, but just to reduce rust/corrosion. Only a small amount applied with a rag to displace moisture after washing. I don't want corroded pitted surfaces to cause damage to the o-ring seals.
I don't use any lubricating agents. I have yet to find one that doesn't tend to attract/hold some dirt/grit to external surfaces of both the chain and sprockets. O-ring chains are prelubed and sealed, thus any added lubrication only has an effect on the sprocket to chain surfaces. Less grit, in my opinion, may offset any positive advantages of added lubrication.

The main thing to remember is to avoid removing or contaminating the sealed in lube with presure washers!

• grayracer513

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:17 PM

The exposed surfaces of the O-rings also need lubrication in order to maintain a good seal. Also, besides the exterior of the rollers and the sprocket faces, there is the matter of lubing the outer rollers, which get no lube from the supply sealed inside the chain. You may have a point, but my take on it runs the converse of yours in that dirt will get onto the chain regardless, and with no lube to help defend the wear surfaces, the benefit of not having a lube coating carry dirt is offset by the additional wear.

Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard is no totally tack free, but it very nearly is, and is at least as good a rust preventative as WD-40 along with actually being capable of lubing something.

But, you may want to search out a dry film moly based lube, too.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.