Taffy's APJ mod !

27 replies to this topic
  • Ynahg

Posted January 07, 2002 - 06:45 AM

Guy

As I see you also use a DXM.
What I could advise you is MJ 170 and go to clip 4 or 3, PS 1 1/2. When I purchased the bike it was equipped with a 168 MJ...to small.

good luck
:)

• Guy

Posted January 07, 2002 - 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Ynahg:
Guy

As I see you also use a DXM.
What I could advise you is MJ 170 and go to clip 4 or 3, PS 1 1/2. When I purchased the bike it was equipped with a 168 MJ...to small.

good luck
:)

Hmmn been there and tried that and it ran crap! when I got the bike it had a 172 in it, ran awful, 170 was better, but still not good, 168 even better still, to tell the truth, I have considered going even smaller as that seems to be the way my bike likes it!
Taffy...I hear ya my man...I hear ya! LOL

• Jim_Bob

Posted January 07, 2002 - 10:59 PM

He is not the messiah, just a very naughty boy!
JB.

• splinter

Posted January 08, 2002 - 12:40 AM

I think we can all learn something from Monty Python, don't you agree?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tman

Posted January 12, 2002 - 02:10 PM

I would like to do this mod it sounds like it might solve my bogging problems but I'm not sure where that block connector is supposed to go. Is it supposed to go on the rod that goes into the accel. pump And also how do you check the squirt timming i'm not sure where the fuel squirt is. sorry for the ignorance but I just took the carb off for the first time and am just learning how the thing works. Thanks guys.
also if anyone has any pics of this mod it would really help me out.

• The_Missile

Posted January 29, 2002 - 12:02 AM

Been there...done that...I finally got around to doing this after copying the rest of Taffy's jetting. Great and easy mod once I had ground my screwdriver down so I had a flat end on it....my squirt was well over 2 seconds, it just went on and on.... and on........., finally dribbling out and eventually stopping. Now its about .25 seconds. No idea of the travel but its not much. I couldn't be arsed to get my feeler gauge out. Taffy, do I win a prize for guessing how you made your measurement :)

• Taffy

Posted January 29, 2002 - 01:07 AM

in the end, because nobody would come out with it, i gave it away on another thread! so no gold stars for you sir!

if you have a vernier/micrometer you can measure an old washer that's 1/2 mm and that'll do fine.

as far as your PM goes, i would go up 10 then 15 on the MJ and touch nothing else for now. see what happens and report back. don't forget that the MJ will richen everything a little.

i hope i'm right in saying that you ran w/o the APJ initially, correct?

so the difference is the pipe?

Taffy

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Taffy ]

• The_Missile

Posted January 29, 2002 - 04:14 AM

Hey Taffy, damn...I really wanted the gold star.
APJ..correct all my testing was without it.
MJ...gotcha.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.