So many carbs, which one works best?

19 replies to this topic
  • streakman1

Posted December 28, 2006 - 08:10 PM

I have an xr650L and was wondering out of the carbs available, which one seems to work best for you?

• frankstr

Posted December 28, 2006 - 08:28 PM

I'm using a Edelbrock carb. on my ride....And lovin it....:lol:
I know they make them for your L...

:confused: :confused:

• hill5150

Posted December 28, 2006 - 08:49 PM

edelbrock......:lol:

• big t

Posted December 29, 2006 - 12:39 AM

Edelbrock:thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted December 29, 2006 - 06:16 AM

Mikuni Flat slide non pumper.

• xr500_89

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:20 AM

mikuni flatslide pumper

• jbird710

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:34 AM

+1 for Edelbrock

• jetfuel

Posted December 29, 2006 - 12:46 PM

edelbrock.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 29, 2006 - 04:42 PM

I am still on the stock, but modded carb, and will go with the edelbrock as soon as I save up 40,000 pennies! Seen them new on ebay for $399 with free shipping.

• michhub

Posted December 29, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Edelbrock here as well. bolt on and GO!!!!!
Minor adjustment for idle speed was all that it needed...

MikeH

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:13 PM

When the time comes I'm thinking Mikuni pumper.

• tirebiter

Posted December 30, 2006 - 06:27 PM

When the time comes I'm thinking Mikuni pumper.

wheelnut- I'll remember that name when you get the Mikuni and jetting problems crop up..:confused:
Another happy 650L Edelbrock user..:lol:

• wheelnut46

Posted December 30, 2006 - 08:19 PM

wheelnut- I'll remember that name when you get the Mikuni and jetting problems crop up..:confused:
Another happy 650L Edelbrock user..:lol:

Is there a problem That I should know about?
The add I saw for the Mikuni pumper said that it comes jetted for the correct elevation info that you provide.

"FITS: Honda XR650L / XR600R
ORDERING NOTES: During checkout, please note the performance options and the elevation you generally ride."

• streakman1

Posted January 01, 2007 - 03:01 PM

Sounds like Edelbrock is the way to go!! Thanks for the responses!!

• tirebiter

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Is there a problem That I should know about?
The add I saw for the Mikuni pumper said that it comes jetted for the correct elevation info that you provide.

"FITS: Honda XR650L / XR600R
ORDERING NOTES: During checkout, please note the performance options and the elevation you generally ride."

There's a thread about putting a Mikuni on a 650L over at 4strokes. Seems the poor guy had nothing but trouble with it.
I put a Mikuni on my DR a few years ago, same thing- took me weeks to get the jetting in the ballpark. Very finiky piece of :lol: .

I put the Edelbrock on my 650R a few years ago, liked it, decided to try one on my 650L. As previously stated, all's I had to do was adjust the idle. :confused:

• jbird710

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:12 PM

I put the Edelbrock on my 650R a few years ago, liked it, decided to try one on my 650L. As previously stated, all's I had to do was adjust the idle. :lol:

Tirebiter - I've got one on my 650L mostly because of the vacuum operated one was a pos. My question to you is the Edelbrock that much better than the stock carb on the 650R to justify the price? I just picked up a new 650R for Christmas and just finishing up the uncork mods now.

• xr650l bum

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:31 PM

Tirebiter - I've got one on my 650L mostly because of the vacuum operated one was a pos. My question to you is the Edelbrock that much better than the stock carb on the 650R to justify the price? I just picked up a new 650R for Christmas and just finishing up the uncork mods now.

I am guessing the carb for the L did not justify the price, therefore you are asking about the price justification on the R!

• rmhrc630

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:23 PM

Keihin FCR MX 41mm all the way on my XR628HRC.

Posted Image

Yes my bike is an XR600 but I fitted electric start.

Yes it retains the kick start.

Yes the FCR clears the frame - easily!!!

Yes itr clears the electric starter - even easier!!!

A small mod to the tank was necessary - nothing major though.

Sudco said it couldn't be done - would never fit - they wanted to sell me their antique FCR - the old slant body FCR. I said no thanks, I'll take the FCRMX with all the options - choke, hot start and ACV valve (meaning no backfiring on decel)

• jbird710

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:32 PM

I am guessing the carb for the L did not justify the price, therefore you are asking about the price justification on the R!

No, you completely misunderstand my question. The replacement Edelbrock for the 650L was much more than justified, mostly due to the cable operated slide versus the vacuum operated slide on the stock 650L carb. The pump on the Edelbrock, I know, also makes a big difference. My question about the 650R is if the Edelbrock replacement makes enough difference over the stock 650R carb to justify the cost. I feel I got much more than my money's worth of difference on the L; is the R difference that much more noticeably improved running the Edelbrock versus the stock carb with the modified jetting?

• tirebiter

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:10 AM

The main reasons I put the Edelbrock on the R was the ease of tuning for different altitudes, cures the bog, and it doesn't flood after a spill.
The adjustible accelerator pump screw is a nice addition also.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.