XR600R's

Honda XR600R 1986

262 replies to this topic
  • tomb1957

Posted February 13, 2007 - 10:26 PM

Beerad, very nice. Chuck I like the graphics you added on your bike. Mine is still all white and looks kinda plain. Years ago (like 30) I used to be a sticker freak. Had em on my bike and truck. My dad asked how much I got paid for the advertising. After that I have not been much for stickers or graphics. But, I think the ole' Desert Sled needs a little extra color other than all white.

• Redlines

Posted February 17, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Look what I just scored. A NEW 1997 XR600R for $1800. I got it from a 52 year old guy who bought it new, never rode it and put it in heated storage in CO before he moved to CA and put it in storage here. Its a 49 state model and there is a difference between the CA model XR600R. My 98 XR600R CA model has a really small smog canister and the crankcase vents back into the air box where the 49 state model it just vents out into the air with no smog canister. I guess this was to make it CA Green sticker legal/CARB legal? The 97's float bowl is in pretty bad shape since all the gas went bad and turned into varnish but I have a spare carb so no worries. It started third kick after cleaning the carb and changing out the oil and gas and now it starts first kick. For pics click the link below. There is also some pics of my 98 XR600R with OEM 2000 XR600 plastics.

http://www.msnusers....s3/shoebox.msnw

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 17, 2007 - 06:05 PM

Link is no good.

• Redlines

Posted February 17, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Works for me try it again.

http://www.msnusers....s3/shoebox.msnw

• slepe67

Posted February 17, 2007 - 09:27 PM

Damn bro, that thing is CLEAN! The cases are new looking. Whatever you do, dont use Purple Power to clean them;) (had to put that in there) I learned the hard way. Damn nice machine. Good score!

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 17, 2007 - 09:32 PM

Very clean but that's no stock front fender... Maybe he dropped it once and replaced it. Unless it's been cut.

BTW I've always wondered how my XR would look with RED plastics if I didn't repaint the frame silver/grey. Thanks for that !

• Redlines

Posted February 18, 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hey bolt how do figure its not a stock front fender which it is. The red 98 one on my XR 600 is a 400R fender which is shorter and I like the look better, the white one I took of the red 98 one is identical to the white one on the 97.I bought the 98 brand new so I know its original. Maybe its the picture that threw you off since its so zoomed in. Also the bike was never driven ITS BRAND NEW

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 18, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Older XRs have the square duck bill front fender... Yours clearly is not.

• Redlines

Posted February 18, 2007 - 01:42 PM

Your right GOOD EYE, it has the same Honda part number as my 00 XR 400 fender on it. Looks like I should I have really looked at my old 600R fender before I spoke out of my ass. I am calling the guy today because I don't understand if he did it or if the dealer did it. I have the original bill of sale from the shop and it was sold on 12/88 for $4720, so it sat on the dealer floor for 2+ years maybe it got scratched and they replaced it with 400R fender they had in stock. I like the 400R fender better because its shorter than the 600R fender that is why when I converted my 98 to red I ordered a 00 400R fender.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 18, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Truth is it looks better... I've always liked the 400 fender better... I have a 96 and a 93 I plan to convert to 400 fenders now that you have confrmed that's what you have. It just makes the bike look a little more modern without damaging the original style.

For folks curious what we are talking about I put our bikes together... The bike on top has the XR400 fender...
Mine below has the original duck bill fender.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cbaranski

Posted February 18, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Redlines Man thats a sweet deal, WOW. Sweet score

• Redlines

Posted February 18, 2007 - 05:58 PM

Yeah I was really stoked when the guy opened up his storage and there was a brand new XR COVERED in dust but NEW. He didn't have any pictures of it so when he told me it was new over the phone I just figured it was in good condition. He paid way to much though $4720 for a 97. I got my 98 new for $3850 in OR in 2000. Bolt your bike looks sweet, looks like its in near new Cond as well.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 18, 2007 - 06:10 PM

Actually $4720 for the bike new in the year it came out isn't bad. You only saved $870 over that price when you bought yours as a 2 year old new bike. Still you got a great deal on it at $1800 !

Mine is a 96 bought new in late 96 for $4980 out the door. I ride it a lot... I just take care of it and don't fall often. And I recently scored on a 93 650L I am restoring for under $1000 for my truly CA street legal dual sport. It's def not as pretty as my 600R but it will look and run good when it's done.

Posted Image

• Johnboy222

Posted February 19, 2007 - 07:52 AM

Bolt Performance, on the 2 pictures that you put together to show the different front fenders.

Who makes the aluminium frame guards on the bottom picture?

I've got some plastic acerbis ones on mine, that were on it when I got the bike, but I want the alu ones.

Thanks
John

• xrslagfan

Posted February 19, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hey Boltperformance, I like the yellow treatment on your '96 stickers (bike in lower photo).
Did you use magic marker or yellow decal?

looks cool...adds some color.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 19, 2007 - 11:32 AM

Bolt Performance, Who makes the aluminium frame guards on the bottom picture?

That is Works Connection. I was told they quit making them by the reseller I got a new set from for my other bike a few months ago. I don't know if that's true but I cannot find them on the Works website anymore. I'd check with them directly or try calling the TT Store. The recent ones I bought have the part number 15-075.

http://www.worksconnection.com

Hey Boltperformance, I like the yellow treatment on your '96 stickers (bike in lower photo).
Did you use magic marker or yellow decal?

looks cool...adds some color.

Thanks... I have always liked that addition. It was simply spray paint. I masked the logo and sprayed. It added balance to what seemed a bit dull and ties in with the FMF pipe logo.

• tomb1957

Posted February 21, 2007 - 12:37 PM

Here is the finished product. Took it out this weekend and late Saturday afternoon, my son and I were on the last ride for the day I pulled to the side of the trail and the bike died. No spark. So far checked coil, pulser, and stator all check good per test. Only thing left is CDI. Luckily we were only out about 2 1/2 miles from camp. During the day we had been as far as 20 miles out. I like long trail rides 70 to 100+ round trip miles. Just goes to show you never know when Murphy will show up.
Posted Image

• cbaranski

Posted February 21, 2007 - 03:22 PM

tomb1957 Sweet ride. looks almost like mine....LOL. How are those forks working for you? Mine are pretty sweet. I got some of those fork bleeders for mine to get out the air that builds up in them.

• tomb1957

Posted February 21, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi Chuck, Forks work great, now I just have to figure out the spark (or lack of) problem. I was able to get 2 days in on new setup before spark trouble appeared. Had to come home a day early. Which actually works out to be 2 days of riding. My son and I were pretty bummed. 3 day weekend and I let him play hooky on the Friday before.:applause:

• oldSkewl

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Here is the finished product. Took it out this weekend and late Saturday afternoon, my son and I were on the last ride for the day I pulled to the side of the trail and the bike died. No spark. So far checked coil, pulser, and stator all check good per test. Only thing left is CDI. Luckily we were only out about 2 1/2 miles from camp. During the day we had been as far as 20 miles out. I like long trail rides 70 to 100+ round trip miles. Just goes to show you never know when Murphy will show up.
Posted Image

How about resistor in plug cap? :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New Project : stolen and recovered 86 XR600R by B.Mauser

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  31 replies
Reviews

Honda XR600R 1986 by ThumperTalk

Honda XR600R 1986
  • * * * * -
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by mtmaniacs
  • On October 14, 2016
Forums
Photo

Need advice by Rgmorley

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.