DOT approved front tire choices, whats yours?

33 replies to this topic
  • rebelventurer

Posted December 30, 2006 - 01:51 PM

Okay I am convinced, Pirelli mt21 it is!
Now what tire pressure are you guys running in them? :lol:

• Jeff Brock

Posted December 30, 2006 - 05:25 PM

I ride an '01 XR650L and currently run Maxxis Desert IT tires eventhough they aren't DOT approved (I ride 99% off-road anyway). They work great, have stiff casings (for rim protection on heavy bike) and are cheap. I loved Michelin Bajas, but the price doubled on them a couple years ago here in Canada. I found Dunlop 606s to be very greasy on pavement and nothing special off-road. Pirelli MT-21s are junk in my book, they are very unpredictable in high speed slides on dirt roads, don't last all that long, and don't work as well as worn out Michelins. If money isn't an object then I'd definitely recommend the Michelin Bajas (the front is a bear to mount though), or go with the Maxxis Desert ITs. Local law enforcement doesn't have a clue how to tell a street legal tire from a dirt tire anyway (just file off the tiny NHS...not for highway service...on the sidewall to be safe!).

• Jeff Brock

Posted December 30, 2006 - 05:29 PM

I have used 18psi front and rear for years in my XR650L. If you do mostly pavement or ride double-up you might want 22psi. Any less and you'll likely damage your rims off-road or spin tire and cut off valves (unless you install rim locks). 18psi seems perfect in every respect. Invest in a set of Bridgestone Ultra Heavy tubes and forget about flats. An old comparison in Dirt Bike magazine measured and tested tubes and the BS were tops.

• goblin127

Posted December 30, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Conti TKC80's with Moose HD tubes.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 30, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Jeff brock, Why then have several others here reccomended the Pirelli m21 tire, as well as xr's only highly reccomending them. :lol: I tried the michelin baja and was extremely dissapointed about 500 miles and they were trash, also had a bad high speed wobble that I have not encountered since switching to dunlop(tried varying the tire pressure with no improvement). At $120 each I found them too expensive for my taste, can buy a whole set of dunlops for that. I do however agree with your 18-22psi tire inflation. Also I only use the MSR heavy duty tube I have not had a failure in 7000 miles, they are darn tough!

• Crunchy

Posted January 02, 2007 - 03:28 AM

606's is what I have been running- they seem to get good mileage if your off the gas on the pavement. They do seem to lose a little grip in the dirt as they wear down it seems. Where are you in Florida?
I am in Vero Beach. :lol:

I'm just south of you in Port Saint Lucie. Drop me a line; it would be great to have another XR owner to ride with. I have an '00 that is plated so I can ride up to meet you if you like. BTW, I'm old and slow:ride:

Tom

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:52 AM

2004 XR650L uncorked, regeared, and retanked almost 11000 miles. I run mostly soft sandy dirt, some mud, with the occasional street use and have tried the high dollar michelin baja which I found to be too soft and pointed the knobs in short order. I now have the dunlop 606 which has proven itself durable, but it seems the offroad traction leaves a lot to be desired. I definately need a true knobby, and before I buy another would like a survey on what works, what have you tried, what did or didnt you like about it, and what would you reccomend? Responses appreciated, and happy holidays!

<<<<>>>>>
DOT? Wazdat? (kiddin')
Personally, I don't worry much about that DOT garbage and run Michelin S-12 front and back. unless I'm doing a ride thats mostly road. They do OK on road but really shine in the sand and pretty good in the mud too. I run them on my CRF-X and they made a HUGE difference over the OEM Dunlops.
When the DOT starts riding my bike they can put the tires they like on it ....:eek: :lol:
:confused: :confused: :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted January 03, 2007 - 04:33 PM

<<<<>>>>>
DOT? Wazdat? (kiddin')
Personally, I don't worry much about that DOT garbage and run Michelin S-12 front and back. unless I'm doing a ride thats mostly road. They do OK on road but really shine in the sand and pretty good in the mud too. I run them on my CRF-X and they made a HUGE difference over the OEM Dunlops.
When the DOT starts riding my bike they can put the tires they like on it ....:eek: :lol:
:confused: :confused: :crazy:

I hear you loud and clear, and I call myself rebel! S-12's huh, are they as expensive as the baja's, do they last longer than the baja's? I have always liked michelins but have a real sour taste from the baja's! I figured the dot tires would be more durable than a non-dot?

• Whiteman

Posted January 07, 2007 - 05:55 PM

If you are going to do the S-12 thing put the M-12 in the front instead of the S-12. It will give you a wider range. IMO I think it handles just as well in the soft stuff but grips better on the hard stuff ( pavement). I had them on my 450x too but now that I have the 650l i wanted a 50/50 tire so I left them behind. Also you should be able to get a set of M-12 front S-12 rear for about 130 to 140.. Never pay retail for tires... Even the local dealers will sell tires cheap if you call the on the price.

• dukeryder

Posted January 08, 2007 - 06:47 PM

Okay I am convinced, Pirelli mt21 it is!
Now what tire pressure are you guys running in them? :lol:

19psi everywhere.

I've got them mounted up to my Dirt Rims and Have had very good luck with them in the sand even at 19psi. I avoid the pavement as much as possible when I've got them mounted up (that's what my 17's are for).

I hate riding this bike in the Mud and I don't think anytire would cure that.

• pgiinc

Posted January 08, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I have MT21 here two

• bcone

Posted January 13, 2007 - 12:17 PM

I just got a front rim with a MT21 80/90 tire. Seems awfull small compared to a knobbier IRC tire that I have. What's up with this size (advantages) and does anyone want it? I will probably mount my IRC Battle rally 90/90.

• oldchvytrx

Posted January 13, 2007 - 05:41 PM

If you are going to do the S-12 thing put the M-12 in the front instead of the S-12. It will give you a wider range. IMO I think it handles just as well in the soft stuff but grips better on the hard stuff ( pavement). I had them on my 450x too but now that I have the 650l i wanted a 50/50 tire so I left them behind. Also you should be able to get a set of M-12 front S-12 rear for about 130 to 140.. Never pay retail for tires... Even the local dealers will sell tires cheap if you call the on the price.

<<<>>>>
Ditto on the never pay retail!! If memory serves me correct I have about $120-130 in the pair. I have little trouble with traction with the harder compound S-12's even with the lighter "X" bike. I've got over 400 miles of road and about the same off-road and they show very little wear! I agree the "M's" would offer better street traction on-road but I think you'd sacrifice longevity because of the softer compound. I haven't run these on my 650L yet so I'm not sure of the wear. I'm sure because of the greater weight and torque they might not wear as long, but with the 650 is also a lot easier to control the throttle and still get performance so a light right hand might make the bigger bike a non issue. I'll let you all know in a couple of months.
:lol: :confused: :crazy:

• BRPXL600R

Posted January 13, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I really like the handling and traction from the Metzler Karoos II as they are a full off road knobby and are DOT legal to boot. They have great off road traction and ride fairly well on pavement. They balance out really good, No quirky or twitchy feeling on pavement either.
Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.