When is EFI coming?

22 replies to this topic
  • farmrider

Posted December 28, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Sirs

Does anyone know for sure when EFI is coming to the WR?

Has anyone heard of any problems with any Yamaha EFI machices?

Thanks

• clark4131

Posted December 28, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Nobody knows anything for sure. It's all rumor and speculation. It's been talked about quite a bit in recent years. Search EFI and you'll find lots of info...SC

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 28, 2006 - 04:31 PM

It will probably come AFTER the yz gets it. WR's are the "little brothers" to the MX bikes. We have to wait for the hand-me-downs.

More importantly... when are the wr's going to come street legal? EFI won't help me much because I won't have very many places to ride it. At least the plate will allow me to ride home from the DMV :lol:

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 28, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Ya expect to see it on the YZ first...even though I think the WR would benefit from it more and would be easier to adapt it too (already has a battery), and I think the WR is more likely to see drastic elevation changes in one ride, where as the YZ doesn't.

• WildRide

Posted December 28, 2006 - 08:46 PM

Ya expect to see it on the YZ first...even though I think the WR would benefit from it more and would be easier to adapt it too (already has a battery), and I think the WR is more likely to see drastic elevation changes in one ride, where as the YZ doesn't.

Think about it, the elevation stuff means nothing or very little to Yamaha. BUT Yamaha would benefit more from the YZ's having EFI, they would sell a lot more YZs. We are lucky they produce the WR at all as the real money is in the MX bikes, as they represent the big production numbers. The newer WRs are much closer to being the same as MX bikes anyway with the tiny MX fuel tank.

• MountainMax

Posted December 31, 2006 - 02:34 PM

Well, whenever they do, im buying one, but likely it will be a year after they put them on the YZ. As for making them street legal from stock, ahhh, i'd say NEVER. To make them street legal from scratch would make them very heavy and need steel fuel tanks and diff tires, diff susp, a totally diff bike actually. they have the XT's for that, but i didn't like them so i turned mine myself to a DS machine and love it. sorry if you can't do that where you live........ :lol:

• TWILES

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:46 PM

I'd bet the YFZ's get it first. They have it on the Raptor and Grizzly now. The Suzuki LTR450 has it and the new KFX450R Kawi has it too. I like the idea of it. But with the Suzuki you buy a thing to change the timing, then you buy a thing to adjust it roughly and then a thing to fine tune it ( i think). I thought about buying one untill I started reading and lost interest pretty fast. Its all like $800. Jets are $4 a piece.

• byggd

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:06 AM

Well, whenever they do, im buying one, but likely it will be a year after they put them on the YZ. As for making them street legal from stock, ahhh, i'd say NEVER. To make them street legal from scratch would make them very heavy and need steel fuel tanks and diff tires, diff susp, a totally diff bike actually. they have the XT's for that, but i didn't like them so i turned mine myself to a DS machine and love it. sorry if you can't do that where you live........ :lol:

Steel tanks are not required to be street legal, at least not in the US. If plastic tanks were illegal half the cars on the road wouldn’t pass. All the CHP reg 888 states is that you must have a non-flammable gas cap.

• j753301

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:40 AM

this is just my opinion but i dont think "toys" should be fuel injected, i work at a suz,yam,kaw,polaris,a/c,ski-doo dealer as a tech and all the new stuff is starting to be so complicated that the average rider cant even change there own plug anymore.cars i can understand cars,but toys are supposed to be fun,at least with a carb you have a lot less chance of breaking down on the trail.as long as there new you wont have any problems but give them some years and its going to be so problematic that it wont be as easy as cleaning the carb and put a new plug in it.its job security for me but i dont think the its fair to the average person to pay 3 or 4 hundred dollars at the dealer for sensors or wiring problems on a dirt bike on top of the normal wear and tear items.

• msgbean

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:40 AM

Steel tanks are not required to be street legal, at least not in the US. If plastic tanks were illegal half the cars on the road wouldn’t pass. All the CHP reg 888 states is that you must have a non-flammable gas cap.

That is true, however, due to liability issues and lawsuits the manufacturers are required to use steel to help prevent puncturing as it slides across the pavement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:44 AM

you are entitled to your opinion however you will not find a stock street legal bike (complete with road kit) from the factory with a plastic tank, however they let this slide for now, for us to use DS kits to convert bikes......

• 234gearwheelie

Posted January 01, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Take the efi kit straight off a gasgas 400/450 as theyve had it for a few years now on the enduro 4 stroke model apparently its great whatever the altitude.

• MN_Paul

Posted January 01, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Just be careful what you ask for. There are advantages to EFI but there is also a down side. If your electrical system dies, dead battery or whatever, you are dead in your tracks. EFI can be great when it works and a curse when it is intermittant, and expensive to fix. The first few years of EFI dirt bikes will see how good they work. A carb is a simple device and unless you do a lot of altitude varations, once it is set, you are done. Until the advantages outwiegh the drawbacks, I will stick with a carb for a single cylinder bike.

Paul

• MountainMax

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:26 AM

our bikes will die when losing the battery now as the cdi needs battery voltage to run, so tha'ts no big deal, however efi will make it harder/more expensive to mod also, but it has advantages also :lol:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 02, 2007 - 08:39 AM

My guess is that the WR450 will be EFI in 09 while the WR250 will be get it in 08.. Only a guess.... We'll see what happens.

• WR_Dave

Posted January 02, 2007 - 09:55 AM

our bikes will die when losing the battery now as the cdi needs battery voltage to run, so tha'ts no big deal, however efi will make it harder/more expensive to mod also, but it has advantages also :confused:

My friends WR runs just fine without the battery, just the display doesn't work properly. :lol: WR Dave

• MountainMax

Posted January 02, 2007 - 01:43 PM

i didn't mean it wont run without a battery, but try to run it without a voltage regulator or stator, notta, it won't run, the cdi takes power to get it to run from the normal battery system instead of like older models which never needed this power to run the cdi. It has been spoken about here many times before, I know I am right in this!!!!!!!!! efi could be another thing that could fail true, but being yamaha, it will probabally last forever............

• ncmountainman

Posted January 03, 2007 - 04:28 AM

i didn't mean it wont run without a battery, but try to run it without a voltage regulator or stator, notta, it won't run, the cdi takes power to get it to run from the normal battery system instead of like older models which never needed this power to run the cdi. It has been spoken about here many times before, I know I am right in this!!!!!!!!! efi could be another thing that could fail true, but being yamaha, it will probabally last forever............

there isn't much that'll run without a stator( diesel i suppose) otherwise you'd be charging the battery every ride,and hoping it don't go dead.and i'm pretty sure the ignitions run off their own circuit in a WR(requiring no battery). the new EFI systems they're working on don't require a battery at all,some use a capacitor that holds a charge from 1 kick then the second kick starts it. and i've seen several other setups that have no batt. butt if you know your right:excuseme:

• Paewraul

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:21 PM

I can't wait for EFI! NO MORE JETTING... just plug in your laptop - remap for speed, remap for torque, remap for power. Its a beautiful thing!

• Fullbore4

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:23 PM

It will be nice, I just hope they get their sh!t together when they do sell the bikes and have the kinks worked out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.