Best tank for a 05 WR450F

21 replies to this topic
  • WRgrom

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:31 PM

I'm looking for some input on a desert tank for my 05 WR450:confused:
What brand should I buy IMS, Acerbis, or Clark? I don't want anything to wide just 3.3 or 3.0 gallons?So which is this best?:confused: :lol: :confused:

• NavyNuke

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:40 PM

I like my IMS tank that is around 3 gallons. after figuring out how to seal the petcock up, no problem.

• clark4131

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:48 PM

Here's a vote for Acerbis 3.3. Just get some 1/4" Tygon fuel line and a brass 5/16" automotive fuel tee and you're done. A search for "fuel tank" will give you more information than you know what to do with..SC

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 27, 2006 - 11:14 PM

Another vote for the acerbis. That's what I have.

Be careful when you mount it though. ON my wr450, I had to turn the mounting bracket around to get me the space I needed for the choke.

It took me a few minutes to figure out. Other than that, its great.

What does everyone do about the right side petcock and fuel line? Mine runs uncomfortably close to the header bolt. Is there something I can get to cover it?

• NavyNuke

Posted December 27, 2006 - 11:29 PM

I actually wrapped my header in heat wrap. trying to help since the tank is so close to the exhaust too. that and ziptied the line from the right side up so its pulled up higher.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 28, 2006 - 01:25 PM

That heat wrap might not be a bad idea. I would only need to wrap a certain part of it.

• rich1167

Posted December 28, 2006 - 01:33 PM

I have a Clarke and I like it. But its not as big as the others. I have went about 70 miles on it in the mountains and not hit reserve. I think I can get about 90 out of it. Thats plenty for me. If you want to see pics look in my garage.

• joshbeene

Posted December 28, 2006 - 02:25 PM

I had a IMS on my 05 WR450 and it was not a good design. The left side of the tank was lower thant the carb, so I was unable to use about 1/4 gallon of fuel. The right side has a cross over tube that is too close to the header, and I had it burst and almost catch my bike on fire. The first time I went out to the desert I hit reserve at abount 65 miles, and then the bike stopped a mile later even though there was still gas in the tank.

• BajaFool

Posted December 28, 2006 - 04:35 PM

My vote is Acerbis. Had an Acerbis on my 2003 WR450F and have one on my 2006 WR450F. Narrow profile, 3.4 gallons, reasonable price and perfect fit. Big added benefit to buying the Acerbis tank is it won't cause your bike to burn to the ground, as has happened to owners of IMS tanks (petcock too close to the header pipe). Acerbis makes the GYT-R 3.4 gallon tank for Yamaha.

• Koko Azuela

Posted December 28, 2006 - 04:51 PM

Another vote for the Acerbis, i have that on my 03 WR450, fits great, looks pretty nice and a nice feature is that is already set up for the dry break system, just change the gas cap and receiver for the dry break receiver if you ever need to!!!:lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue_beast_wins

Posted December 28, 2006 - 06:00 PM

I have the IMS tank on my 05 450, it feels no fatter than the standard tank and carries the bulk of the fuel lower, i filed the tank smooth to stop the fuel tap from leaking and dont run the balance pipe from one side to the other, i have no problems using 99% of the fuel with the tank only half set up like this and it does make it much much easier to get the tank off if need be...

• NavyNuke

Posted December 28, 2006 - 06:20 PM

I use high temp/pressure fuel line for the corssover line, helps with peace of mind. and the header wrap to keep pipe temps down. this summer may get the header jet coated instead.

• WRgrom

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info :lol: One more question natural or yamaha blue?

• 1BLUEsky

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:44 PM

The natural will let you see your fuel level but may become discolored by fuel and /or dirt.

• NavyNuke

Posted December 29, 2006 - 09:57 PM

if I was buying new, natural, but I got mine used for 100 bucks, and its yamaha blue

• WRgrom

Posted December 31, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the info:ride: :confused: And i purchased the Acerbis, Nice fit took no time at all to mount and it looks great thanks for all your input.
One thing the tank is blue but it comes with a flat finish the only thing I don't like about it. But what the hell its more GAS!!!!!:lol: :confused: Ride on

• boer

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the info:ride: :confused: And i purchased the Acerbis, Nice fit took no time at all to mount and it looks great thanks for all your input.
One thing the tank is blue but it comes with a flat finish the only thing I don't like about it. But what the hell its more GAS!!!!!:lol: :confused: Ride on

Where did you get the tank? Did the dealer have more? I believe they have discontinued:excuseme:

• Fullbore4

Posted January 04, 2007 - 05:09 PM

I had a IMS on my 05 WR450 and it was not a good design. The left side of the tank was lower thant the carb, so I was unable to use about 1/4 gallon of fuel.

You just need to wheelie more often : )

The right side has a cross over tube that is too close to the header, and I had it burst and almost catch my bike on fire. The first time I went out to the desert I hit reserve at abount 65 miles, and then the bike stopped a mile later even though there was still gas in the tank.

The IMS tank advertised as 3.1 is actually 3.4 probably because they don't account for that extra .3 gal that is "lower" than the carb but if you pop wheelies, you can even utilize that : ). The newer IMS tanks do not have an openning or petcock on the right side now and the tank doesn't come down as low (as close to the exhaust). When you run dry on the left side, you just lean it far left and you have that extra mileage. Also its easy to take the tank off the bike. The IMS 3.1 is also slightly slimmer than the Acerbis 3.3. They make a nice tank now but make sure you get the newer model if you get an IMS.

• taksx

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:13 PM

good info fullbore, but I always thought the hole .1 .3 jazz was all bull. has somebody measured the IMS? does is really take 3.1,3.3,3.4 or maybe just 3.0?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 05, 2007 - 09:03 AM

You just need to wheelie more often : )

The IMS tank advertised as 3.1 is actually 3.4 probably because they don't account for that extra .3 gal that is "lower" than the carb but if you pop wheelies, you can even utilize that : ).

That's the best wheelie justification I've heard in a long time. That's even better than the "makes your front tire last longer" argument that I saw on another post!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.