XR650L Controls Help....

22 replies to this topic
  • squatpuke

Posted December 27, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Need some information about triple clamps and risers for the XR650L.

Looks like the "risers" are built into the stock clamp? Is there any benefit to just putting on a higher handlebar vs. gettin a whole new setup?

Also, if the L get's a new triple, it appears the front blinkers are history as well since they appear to bolt into the stock triple.

Finally, if you get a new triple clamp/risers for the L, do can you still see and/or use the speedometer ok?

BRP says new cables are needed....

Any info from anyone out there would be appreciated.

Thanks.

btw, I'm 6'2" and really think it will help me....feels like my hands are near my knees when i ride.

• pigryder

Posted December 27, 2006 - 04:14 PM

What bars do you have now?

• rebelventurer

Posted December 27, 2006 - 05:13 PM

I went with the rsw top clamp and 1 1/8" protapers in the henry/reed bend. Now I can stand and ride and not have to be bent over, like a hooker on saturday night, lol. Bar risers on new clamp raised bars an inch the bars another inch or so, plus they dont have near as much sweep.
Heres a link, www.rswracing.com
Made from billet and very reasonable $125, also got a fork brace $80, got the protapers off ebay for $62. Just checked my link and they have lowered the prices to $95 for the clamp and $70 for the brace.
Have no trouble seeing the speedo, due to new clamp/bars, now the front brake line hose, has always bugged me, plan on upgrading to braided stainless and tweaking the passage of that to the front of the speedo.

• xr650l bum

Posted December 27, 2006 - 05:13 PM

I am also looking at adding some height. I am 6' 5" and riding in the desert sand, I felt like I was going over the bars and needed my weight farther back. Besides I could not stand up, knees were still severely bent! I have 1 inch risers already, but not enough. I just came from the moto store, and found that the tag x 5 cr double high bend was the best. I am concerned that the cables will not be long enough. After looking when I got home, it seemed you could reroute the cables to the inside of the bars. Dont know if that would be a problem. Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track, or am I heading down the wrong path.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 27, 2006 - 05:19 PM

Bum, I had no issues with cable length, seemed I could have gone another inch up with no problem!

• xr650l bum

Posted December 27, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Bum, I had no issues with cable length, seemed I could have gone another inch up with no problem!

Rebel this maybe a stupid question, but was it with the same riser and handlbar combo? Thanks

• squatpuke

Posted December 28, 2006 - 08:06 AM

What bars do you have now?

Stock....

Rebel...what about the blinkers?

• jbird710

Posted December 28, 2006 - 10:28 AM

If you look at the rswracing web page, the picture they show of the triple clamp looks like it still uses the factory blinker mounts. I think I'm going this way. Was thinking about BRP but I don't want to have to change cables.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 28, 2006 - 01:14 PM

Yes no issues with the protaper and rsw combo as far as cable length, could have went an inch higher with no problems! only issue was to file down the locator tabs in the blinker, and start control housings- no way I was going to drill my new bars. Also the stock blinker brackets bolted right up to the new top clamp, the hardest part was bolting the speedo housing to the top clamp, which it is drilled and tapped for, as well as the ignition switch. All in all I am very satisfied with the rsw products :lol: And the price was still less than half of the scotts or applied clamps.

• squatpuke

Posted December 28, 2006 - 02:00 PM

so clue a newb in...

What are "rubber mounted clamps" for...is that just an option, for less vibration?

And why are there two sizes...7/8 and 1-1/8?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • squatpuke

Posted December 28, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Oh yeah...another one.

Why do some handlebars have a crossbar and others don't or have a clamp on?

Does the crossbar add signifcant strength?

• michhub

Posted December 28, 2006 - 03:18 PM

I'm 6'6" and used to run the stock triple with Renthal 7/8" CR-Hi bend bars...I later added the 35mm risers from Touratech and that setup was pretty good. Recently I switched to the RSW Racing triple clamp and fork brace(Thanks to Treadmarks!). The turn signals and stock cables are fine and the rise even seems comparable to the Touratech setup because the bar clamps are pretty high. I have no issues seeing the instruments...even though I did switch to the Acewell Speedo unit...pics in my garage. Just because I cannot leave well enough alone I'm looking to convert to 1"1/8" bars with no cross bar...no reason just another 'modaholic' looking for a fix:crazy:

<http://www.touratech-usa.com>

Mike

• rebelventurer

Posted December 28, 2006 - 03:36 PM

Personally I am not a fan of rubber mounted bars. The crossbar no crossbar deal is basically the design of the bars themselves, usually the ones with no crossbar are 1 1/8" in diameter at the mounting location then taper down to 7/8" at the control area, hense the names protaper, or fatbars. The bars with the clamp on crossbar are usually an aluminum alloy bar in 7/8" diameter with the crossbar supplying the needed strength. I am really enjoying my 1 1/8" protaper contour bars and like the no crossbar deal.

• jbird710

Posted December 29, 2006 - 08:46 AM

Hey Rebel, I just ordered the clamp, perches, and fork brace from RSW yesterday. How long did it take for you to get yours? Also, what bend of Protaper bars did you use?

• squatpuke

Posted December 29, 2006 - 11:59 AM

jbird...I presume this is for your L....

Let me know how it goes. I may be doing the same thing.

• jbird710

Posted December 29, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Yep - for the L; will let you know how it comes out. I've got a set of ProTaper bars left over from another bike project that I'm going to try; not sure what bend they are.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 29, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Protapers are the henry/reed bend, about an inch and a quarter more rise than the bendamatics, and about 3/4" less sweep! Took about an hour and a half to do everything including the fork brace!
Got them in about 4 bussiness days.

• trxxr

Posted December 29, 2006 - 05:52 PM

I just installed the protapers and the adaptors. I have pics in my other post "Trail Tech install". I have not had a chance to ride yet (waiting on other parts). But it does give you about 3/4" rise and no crossbar. I like it, and you can mount more stuff on the bars.. I got the CR high bend.

• xr650l bum

Posted December 29, 2006 - 06:35 PM

I just installed the protapers and the adaptors. I have pics in my other post "Trail Tech install". I have not had a chance to ride yet (waiting on other parts). But it does give you about 3/4" rise and no crossbar. I like it, and you can mount more stuff on the bars.. I got the CR high bend.

Nice! Thanks for the pics. I just ordered the tag x5 cr double high bend. They were relatively cheap, $40 so I am taking a shot. Yours look better than stock, so the double should be perfect! Still worried about cable length though! We will see, and I will keep posted for the next person.

• kex

Posted December 29, 2006 - 07:02 PM

I went with risers from dirtbikepro.com , these have a rise of 1" 1/2 and also set the bars forward about 7/8 " . I run a cr high bend bar. Im 6'7" tall so this height is great for my size and they look cool to . anodized red aluminum. there was no cable ext. needed.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.