Maxxis IT on the front?

6 replies to this topic
  • Agent2

Posted December 27, 2006 - 03:58 PM

Currently running a Pirelli MT18HD on the front and Maxxis IT Desert on the back of my 650r. Anyone running the IT on the front (desert riding)? Love the way the IT's last, but am thinking it might be a little too slick for the front. Opinions?

• cleonard

Posted December 27, 2006 - 04:18 PM

Currently running a Pirelli MT18HD on the front and Maxxis IT Desert on the back of my 650r. Anyone running the IT on the front (desert riding)? Love the way the IT's last, but am thinking it might be a little too slick for the front. Opinions?

I've never tried an IT on the front, but I have read a lot of posts here about the IT on the front. Most posters said "Don't do it." I'm keeping my Dunlop 756 for the front.

I do run a desert IT on the back. It was good on traction when new and is OK now that it is worn. It has lasted at least twice as long as a 756.

• Desertskyy

Posted December 27, 2006 - 04:28 PM

I am running an IT on the front. I probably would not run one again. I just don't have a lot of confidence (traction) with it. I would probably go back to a 739 faj or something else like a 756. I run the Maxxis IT on the rear and like it a lot.

Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Travis Newbold

Posted December 27, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Desert It works well on the rear unless you get it hot on pavement then ride on rocks- sometimes the knobs chunk off

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted December 27, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I run the desert IT on the front and no issues. Can't compare to the MT18 as I have not tried it, but it's on my list to try next. Just like the rear, the front is a long wearing tire. I doubt it will stick as well as a 756, but I've got 850 miles on mine between Baja and Imperial Valley and it has a long, long way to go before it's done.

• nscmj3

Posted December 27, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Rear, good.:lol: Front, bad!:confused: Ran a hare scramble that had lots of high speed gravel fire roads with sweeping corners and that thing just slid everywhere! I don't mind the back sliding around, but when the front starts to slide...that's when I start to go:eek:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 27, 2006 - 10:45 PM

I have run the IT up front and will never make that mistake again. The front tire you presently have runs circles around the IT.

I am always trying different front tires and the one I liked the very best was a trials front tire but I would not recommend them cause they flatten too easily. And because of that I switched to the Pirrelli MT18. I am still looking for the perfect front tire.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.