WR250 vs 450

3 replies to this topic
  • sbabs

Posted December 27, 2006 - 11:17 AM

I'm seeing a difference of 13 lbs in the tech specs of these 2 bikes.

Has anyone ridden both of these bikes that can give a review of the differences, especially in the woods, singletrack, etc?

I'm getting sign off from the wife, and as soon as I can sell my XR400, I'll be ready to move on a newer tech bike. I was sold on the WR250, but given the weight difference, I'm starting to wonder. I really like the low end grunt of my XR, and would like to keep that. I'm also thinking the 450 would last longer, and not rev so high.

Given my weight (215, but heading down a tad) I'm wondering if I can get by with the stock springs on either of these bikes, at least for a while. It doesn't seem they are that far off for me, and I am 99% woods, very little jumping at all.

I'm also wondering how the Honda CRF250X is going to compare to these bikes. I'm hearing that the reliability issues are few and far in between, and it comes in light at 225.

Has anyone come up with a license plate mount for the '07 WRs? It looks like making a nice mount might be tricky as it's pretty skinny back there.

• clark4131

Posted December 27, 2006 - 12:36 PM

IMHO, you're too big for a 250 and you'll still have to respring a 450 if you go that route. If you're looking for a brand comparison, you need to remember you're asking on the Yamaha board. You'll get the opposite answer if you post the same question on the Honda board, so you'll have to make up your own mind on that one. I was originally a Honda devotee have ridden XR's all my life. After a lot of research, I went with the Yamaha and have been VERY pleased. As far as a plate goes, the '07's are likely too new to have anything available yet, but you might get lucky with a web search. Besides, dual sporting anything other than an XR400/600 is a bad idea. The competition bikes, i.e. WR's/CRF's, do not like highway miles and the steady throttle/constant rpm conditions that go along with it, you can fry your tranny. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that will say things like, "I've got 100,000 trouble free highway miles on my WR, CRF, YZ, blah, blah, blah", but I've heard of too many problems with fried transmissions, regardless of brand, to think it's just isolated cases of bad luck. So there's my shpiel. The 250/450 comparison comes up a lot, so do an archive search and you'll come up with a lot more info...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sbabs

Posted December 27, 2006 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Clark. I should have mentioned. I only want to plate the bike for riding in the National Forests that require street legal bikes. I would rarely if ever ride it other than that.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 27, 2006 - 02:27 PM

I don't think its as simply as a 13lb difference. Both the 250 and the 450 are heavy when you drop them.

The 450 will have significantly more rotating mass and gyroscopic force because the size of the piston and cylinder. That is what you will feel as the difference between the two.

I'm 210lbs and I can ride the wr450 just fine. I really like it. Second gear will get you up any hill that you have the guts to attack. My test rides on a wr250 were also nice, but you just have to wind it up more. It still pulled me up the hills I tried, but the engine was definitely working a lot harder.

I had to put new springs in my 450. They were $200 from racetech. This should be one of the first things that you do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.