Need new headlight?

14 replies to this topic
  • baja4lif3

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:55 PM

My stock headlight is beat to shit so i am looking for a new one with christmas money. I have heard good and bad things about the Acerbis and UFO headlights. What is everybody running and is pretty bright?

Thanks

• NavyNuke

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:41 PM

I have the twin lamp UFO setup. not as good as stock far away, but good spread up close.

Posted Image

• ausgeflippt13

Posted December 26, 2006 - 09:24 PM

hell I bought a 6" round headlight found generally on 4x4's. I wanted something different and don't need a number plate (given that I don't really race...alas, no time). I just took some steel I had lying around and fabricated a bracket for it. I'll actually post pics of it in a bit when I get around to it...

but yeah IMO it looks sick and is something a little different than what you typically find...

• steve lemley

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I also run the twin UFO light in the pic above and like it. I think it was better that stock on the flood setting but its just my opinion.

Posted Image

• dbleon

Posted December 27, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Here's my cyclope from acerbis. I love it, its nice and bright but dims at idle without a battery. Overall I love the look and it's DOT aproved.

http://i125.photobuc...on/DSC00431.jpg

http://i125.photobuc...on/DSC00432.jpg

• baja4lif3

Posted December 27, 2006 - 08:09 PM

Hmmm does anybody have any experience with both? so that they arent bias towards a answer?
Thanks Anybody with a Baja Designs one?

• dbleon

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hmmm does anybody have any experience with both? so that they arent bias towards a answer?
Thanks Anybody with a Baja Designs one?

Baja designs headslights are garbage, I've heard a lot of people saying thier twitchy(sensitive) and burn out...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baja4lif3

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:54 PM

well dbleon what do you advice?

• dbleon

Posted December 27, 2006 - 10:35 PM

well dbleon what do you advice?

To be honest, i am only familiar with a few brands:

Stock- Great fit, durable, not the best brightness.

Acerbis- Pretty bright(would be wonderful with battery IMO), DOT, but need handle bar switch for use of high/ low beams(50 bucks). Pricey($110), but good investment!

UFO-(buddies bike), good durability, clunky fit, very ugly IMO, but good price (65 bucks).

My suggestion would be to try and find a clean one on ebay, people are parting out bikes all the time. Your about two months late, i sold my near mind stock unit on ebay for ~$40! SOund like the stocker would be good for you IMHO, but i needed the high/low beams.

• CRF45OX

Posted December 27, 2006 - 10:41 PM

Just wondering, what wattage bulbs and beam spread degree do you use on your twin ufo headlights? and do you have 1 on for low beam and 2 on for high beam?

Because when i got my bike it had a blown voltage regulator probably because the bulbs in my ufo twin headlight are 50W each and are both on all the time.

• moleculo

Posted December 28, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Baja designs headslights are garbage, I've heard a lot of people saying thier twitchy(sensitive) and burn out...

Really? I just put down the new Dirt Bike magazine that featured the Glen Helen 24hr race and according to them, the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place pro teams and the winning ironman entry all ran BD lighting.

• clark4131

Posted December 28, 2006 - 01:29 PM

Just to clarify something regarding BD. When it comes to offroad lighting they are generally considered to be the industry standard. With that said however, we have a member who works for BD (you know who you are) who I've had direct correspondence with regarding the BD product for the WR. By his own admission, there have been lingering issues with BD's product and our venerated WR450. He assured me that the problems are being addressed and they hope to have a concrete fix available very soon. I have also promised to hold my judgement in reserve until I receive notification and subsequent testimonial to validate the new product. I respectfully request all other board members to do the same. As such, BD has and does make a quality product for many off road applications, and their difficulties with the WR should not color their reputation regarding their entire line of products. Time will tell, and I look forward to the outcome which I sincerely hope will be a success for BD. Until then, kindly keep it civil kids...SC

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted December 28, 2006 - 01:31 PM

Have a Baja Designs light and it works well, especially with a rewind and higher output bulb. Took this light and later converted it to HID and am extremly happy with it. While riding next to someone with an 8" BD HID race light, his threw a beam farther, but mine threw a much better spread overall and still gave me decent distance. Generally anything with a glass lens will likely have better optics than the plastic lens lights and you'll have a better platform to start with in case you want to upgrade to a bigger bulb, etc later.

• dbleon

Posted December 28, 2006 - 06:32 PM

Really? I just put down the new Dirt Bike magazine that featured the Glen Helen 24hr race and according to them, the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place pro teams and the winning ironman entry all ran BD lighting.

Hey... I'm going strictly on personal knowlage. I have first hand experience with these three units, and i was trying to give the most honest description of what I encountered. I'm not simply reading magazines and chiming in based on thier "expert" opinions!

• chrispy1202

Posted December 29, 2006 - 06:45 AM

If you want a bright light, fab something up. My wife has a Kawi super sherpa and the light on that thing is crazy compared our stock ones, probably 70% brighter. We were late back from a ride one night and were criusing along an old fire road. I had to ask her if she could slow down, Yup i said slow down, because i couldn't see well enough. this is just an example .... tonnes of bikes to choose from, and lots of used parts out there. I hope to find a good alternative this spring. no time now, just studded up a set!!! brraapppppp
Cheers
Chris

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.