Trail Tech Vapor install...

38 replies to this topic
  • trxxr

Posted December 30, 2006 - 06:44 PM

My sensor for MPH was not working correctly. I don't have it installed yet but I'm getting a new one and will see if it fits. Fit is tight on the caliper. Have you installed the temp sensor yet?

• LumpyXR650L

Posted December 30, 2006 - 07:35 PM

trxxr,
No, they sent me the wrong sensor. I got the one for an xr650r. A warning about the speed sensor. Do not drill a hole and mount it on the caliper like the instructions say. You will only find out you have a new hole in your caliper and a broken speed sensor. Luckily I test fit it first and even before the caliper bolt holes would like up the sensor plastic tab broke off. There is absolutely no clearance between the caliper and fork for this sensor if mounting it where the instructions tell you to. I read on another site someone else had the same problem and their speed sensor mounting tab broke off like mine so they had to grind their caliper down to get it to clear the fork. I am still waiting for the correct magnetic rotor bolt as the ones in my kit didn't work either. As of right now I don't know what I am going to do about the speed sensor. The tach works though :lol: Cya..Lumpy

• CumminsTD

Posted December 30, 2006 - 09:22 PM

CumminsTD,

We can make it work for any bike. We only list models we have seen at our shop and done an install on. There may be no difference in your bike.

If you local, bring it by and we will do the install for you. If your not local, send us a picture of the sensor area and we will recommend a solution.

Geoff@trailtech.net

Thanks for the info. My 650l shouldn't be any different from and other stock 650l on here. After the holidays settle out I'll order the same kit these guys are using and just do what they're doing here. I'm pretty resourceful, I can't see why I shouldn't be able to get it set up.

Happy New Year

• moonkat

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:01 PM

Trail Tech,
You guys were great to properly diagnose speed sensor malfunction and send replacement - free! (dual sported plated XR650R)
Got the cable sensor and installed and speed now works again.
Another question; how can I reconnect the power cable wire to the female jack? The wire is so fine I can't solder or quick-connect to it. Does the mini-connector come apart somehow....how?
Thanks

• TrailTech

Posted January 03, 2007 - 10:30 PM

Your should just plug the connector back in. If the connector is gone, the unit will need to come back for repair (unless your good at soldering small wires).

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 06, 2007 - 04:53 AM

You guys have had much better luck than I have with the veypor.

I bought the trailtech veypor when it first came out last year, It seemed like I waited forever for it to become available. It arrived with the temp sensor for a water cooled xr, not an air cooled xrl like I splained to them. When I called them to ask for the correct sensor, they wanted me to pay for it, and they would ship it when it became available. I never paid for it, and for me the engine temp was the most improtant feature for the veypor. I also had to fab my own mounting support for the speedo pick up. About a month later, the battery cover cracked and fell out on the trail. I was in the NC mountians at the time (27F) and ice formed inside the unit, it hasn't been right since. I am sure that somehow this is all my fault since I never called them about it and I do have quite a few items from trailtech that work fine, but I am still so PO'ed bout the veypor I will shop around for a replacement.

• trxxr

Posted January 08, 2007 - 05:53 PM

I'm still waiting on the replacement parts. I called and they said they were waiting on more to come in?? Are they having problems with the sensors or what? This is the main reason I ordered the Vapor and waited until they had released the sensors.

• LumpyXR650L

Posted January 08, 2007 - 06:31 PM

trxxr,
Also waiting for correct parts :lol:

• TrailTech

Posted January 09, 2007 - 10:40 PM

Sorry it is taking us so long to get the sensors to you. We do not want to release them without making sure they are good.

TREADMARKS,
Send your Vapor back, I will make sure you get a new one(geoff@trailtech.net). The first units we hand made and not as robust as our new units.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TREADMARKS

Posted January 10, 2007 - 04:31 AM

Sorry it is taking us so long to get the sensors to you. We do not want to release them without making sure they are good.

TREADMARKS,
Send your Vapor back, I will make sure you get a new one(geoff@trailtech.net). The first units we hand made and not as robust as our new units.

Wow...Was not expecting that.

Thanks TT, It will go out today.:lol:

• trxxr

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:51 PM

Has ANYBODY recieved any replacement parts?? :lol: I haven't just wondering....:confused:

• sanjoh

Posted January 19, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Just purchased a Vapor, received it yesterday and installed last night, the installation was flawless.

• LumpyXR650L

Posted January 30, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hello,
I still have not received the engine air cooled temp sensor. Also still waiting for the correct magnetic rotor bolt for the xr650l. Anyone have a working vapor yet? Lumpy

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 31, 2007 - 05:57 AM

I sent mine back as requested in the message above, but have not heard back as of yet.:ride:

• trxxr

Posted January 31, 2007 - 07:58 AM

I'm STILL waiting also........

• sanjoh

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:16 AM

The Vapor is working great on my 650R. I recommend it. Drilled rotor for magnet. Tested with GPS and very accurate. No issues in 60 miles of offroad use

• trxxr

Posted January 31, 2007 - 11:24 AM

It seems to work better on the XRR. The sensors (temp, MPH) don't seem to fit/work on the L. My tach is working but that is all.

• TREADMARKS

Posted February 02, 2007 - 04:01 AM

Got mine back last night. Looks like a brand new unit. I will set it up and install it this weekend.

Way to go Trail Tech!

• TREADMARKS

Posted February 05, 2007 - 03:54 AM

Got mine back last night. Looks like a brand new unit. I will set it up and install it this weekend.

Way to go Trail Tech!

Did the install and setup over the weekend and I love the thing again. It is so much nicer having tach/speedo feedback when riding. TT did a great job getting me a brand new unit. I will work with then to get an air cooled temp sensor next.

Thanks for the great feedback on this forum.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.