Need Some Inovative Thinkers Please

4 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted December 26, 2006 - 09:14 AM

Hi 00 xr650r here. I have a slight problem. My bike has a fmf powercore Iv and I have a slight problem. In between the clamp that holds the muffler on and the can there WAS a rubber protector. Well that is long gone and the clamp has allready wore a ways through the can.:thumbsup: I have tried to replace it with a piece of rubber intertube and that lasted a week.

Solution#1 - Do away with the clamp and weld on a bracket. Can you weld to stainless steel? Pop rivet on a bracket? Would pop rivets last though?

Solution#2 - Find a alternate protector to fit in between the muffler and clamp.

I would love to buy a diffrent exhaust but hate forking over so much $$$ when the FMF may last several more years. So if anyone has a idea please post. Thanks.

• Pilate74

Posted December 26, 2006 - 09:33 AM

Weld on some eyelets and use some springs like a 2 stroke pipe. Need to have a welding shop do the eyelets. #2 order a replacement clamp from fmf.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 26, 2006 - 10:27 AM

I'd say give FMF a call and see if they can do anything for you.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:10 AM

Or try order a new can, and insulators.
I threw my insulators away and just tweaked the bracket to fit super tight around the can then used a insulator on the mounting bolt with a couple of fender washers, any muffler shop should have the insulators.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted December 26, 2006 - 12:07 PM

I called and ordered a new insulator for $10 shipped. They also said they upgraded the insulators becasue the older powercores have a poor quality insulator.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.