2006 WR450 & 1996 XR600r

3 replies to this topic
  • notyme2loose

Posted December 25, 2006 - 12:22 PM

I'm ready to get a new bike after riding and racing my XR for 10 years its been a great reliable bike. Thats why a looking at the WR450 I have heard it has also great reliability. My question is this I can get a good price on a 06 WR will the WR be a noticable improvement on my XR for single track? I weigh around 235 without gear and still want to maintain a bike with good low end. So anyone who has experience with bikes I would appreciate in help is the WR450 going to be a good bit better in the woods than the XR600 ? I've read the WR's are top heavy. Thanks

• ncmountainman

Posted December 25, 2006 - 03:08 PM

I'm ready to get a new bike after riding and racing my XR for 10 years its been a great reliable bike. Thats why a looking at the WR450 I have heard it has also great reliability. My question is this I can get a good price on a 06 WR will the WR be a noticable improvement on my XR for single track? I weigh around 235 without gear and still want to maintain a bike with good low end. So anyone who has experience with bikes I would appreciate in help is the WR450 going to be a good bit better in the woods than the XR600 ? I've read the WR's are top heavy. Thanks

having had a couple xr600's and a couple yami 450's i'll tell you that the difference is night and day. and in 05 they lowered the COG on the wr's. the 600 may have tractored a little more but you'll soon forget anything that ya used to like about the xr:thumbsup: TT store has 06 wr450's for under $6k

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • emtieman

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:10 PM

I too just made the switch. I ended up with an 01 WR 426 and still trying to sell my 96 XR 600, both Ca. street legal. I can't believe I waited so long.

I'm a bigger guy myself and thought I could manhadle the heavy 600 pretty well in single track but the first ride on the WR was all it took for me to never look back. The 30# or so difference is very noticable. If there is any low end grunt missing in the WR it more than makes up for it with it's much quicker revving ability.

On the street the 2 bikes didn't seem a whole lot different power wise, but hit the dirt and some tight stuff and the snap and flickablility is off the chart compared to the XR. I haven't had the chance to let it rip flat out in the desert yet but I don't think I'll be disapointed.

There is no replacement for an XR seat though.

• TheCure

Posted December 27, 2006 - 08:59 AM

I currently own an 93 XR600 and an 06 WR450.

No comparison.

XR _+s....soft comfy seat and suspension. Mellow engine, nice tractable power but NOT FAST. PURELY trailbike.

WR _+s....Power - ungodly power- snappy, fun, exhiliarating (insert adjective), handling is moto like without being twitchy, racer oriented.

Saying the WR is top heavy compared to a CR125 might be a good comparison but its tons more manouverable compared to the XR (get the double entendre?)

The only bitch about the WR is the hard as brick seat. It's softer than past models but it aint my couch cushion comfortable XR.

I take the XR out on long range, jeep fire road rides. When I wan't to get tight, technical and ugly, I take the WR.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.