Trials Tire Pics

I ride on lots of slick, rocky, tree-rooted single track around here and with the YZ's 19" rear wheel I was often worried about rim damage. Moto2000 (Scott) over in the WR section had an extra 18" WR wheel and we put together a cash/trade deal.

I mounted up a tubeless-type IRC trials tire with a heavy duty tube on the 18" wheel for when I'm riding on the tight nasty stuff. I'm really diggin' the extra sidewall and I should be able to get away with about 8 psi...this tire combined with the Rekluse will be sweet on the trails! When I need a knobbie I can just swap wheels now.

Trials010.jpg

Trials009.jpg

I ride with a bunch of guys every Sunday with those tires. They swear by them. They work in the tight stuff and the trails with tree roots, rocks and the sandstone. Never thought they would work till I tried one. Though I f

found they are not very nice at high speeds.

I'm asking Santa for a trials tire for my bike.

Merry Christmas

Nice tire might get one for summer. What's the white thing covering your rad in the first pic?

Those are the MSR radiator guards. While they are not 'cage type' braces they are pretty damn stout and keep the radiators braced very well. Based on how mangled my shrouds are (should have seen them before the new graphics) they have taken some big blows (I crash often) and have done their job very well. What I really like about them is that they are only $30.00:applause:

Looks good. I've been wanting to try one, but I guess they don't make one to fit a 19" wheel???

Not that I am aware of...I think because these tires are so pliable they need to have a tall sidewall, so one designed for a 19" wheel would have to be made stiffer to prevent rim damage.

Not that I am aware of...I think because these tires are so pliable they need to have a tall sidewall, so one designed for a 19" wheel would have to be made stiffer to prevent rim damage.

I suppose your right. Be sure to give us a full write up after you try it out. ?

Well.......a write-up and some action shots with you clearing that gnarly rock section. :confused:

On Sunday I loaded up the bike and all my gear, went and picked up my buddy and his bike and we took off to go riding. We stopped on the way to fill up on chicken fried steak and eggs and while we were eating it began to rain..hard. Then the wind picked up and the rain (now mixed with snow) was blowing sideways. We discussed the various pros and cons of riding in such weather versus the prospect of watching the Seahawks/Chargers game in relative warmth and comfort with a frosty mug of brew.

Bottom line: We wimped out. If the weather is reasonable I will be riding Saturday?

On Sunday I loaded up the bike and all my gear, went and picked up my buddy and his bike and we took off to go riding. We stopped on the way to fill up on chicken fried steak and eggs and while we were eating it began to rain..hard. Then the wind picked up and the rain (now mixed with snow) was blowing sideways. We discussed the various pros and cons of riding in such weather versus the prospect of watching the Seahawks/Chargers game in relative warmth and comfort with a frosty mug of brew.

Bottom line: We wimped out. If the weather is reasonable I will be riding Saturday?

The game was not really worth the missed day of riding was it?