clutch rebuild

5 replies to this topic
  • dave_v

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:09 PM

It's time to freshen up the clutch in my 426, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on Tusk/Barnett/EBC clutch kits versus stock. Besides the large difference in price, most aftermarket kits use steel plates versus the stock aluminum. Will this cause a wear issue with the stock aluminum clutch basket? TIA.

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:21 PM

My recommendation is don't. Use Yamaha GYT-R, OEM, or Hinson plates. You'll get better results. You may want to change the basket if there's enough wear on the fingers. After market parts such as GYT-R and Hinson are hard anodized or akadized to make them resist wear and metal shed, and it works.

• dwnlowx

Posted December 25, 2006 - 11:06 AM

i would go with gytr clutch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dave_v

Posted December 25, 2006 - 11:34 AM

OK, that's two votes for the GYTR clutch kit. So what's the difference between the OEM clutch kit and the GYTR kit? Price difference too? I will probably be installing a Rekluse Autoclutch later this year, so does that affect the choice between OEM and GYTR at all?

• 642MX

Posted December 25, 2006 - 09:54 PM

I've used them all. The longest lasting fibers made are Ferodo's. The can handle the heat and the extra clamping force the Rekluse delivers. The second best plates are OEM's.

• flintlock28

Posted December 26, 2006 - 05:58 AM

Are Barnett clutch kits any good??

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.