New 450f

5 replies to this topic
  • jasonmp400f

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:07 PM

i just bought a new 05 450 is there any thing i should know or do right away to it?

• adamsrk

Posted January 11, 2007 - 02:35 PM

yeah, put gas in it and ride.

• flintlock28

Posted January 11, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, it's a great bike..but get rid of the stock chain if it's original. It will stretch stretch, stretch, than it will eat your sprockets if left on too long.

Replace it with a Regina Chain, or another high quality chain.

If it still has the Dunlop original 739 AF tires on it, and you ride anything other than Hardpack, than get rid of it. The stock tire doesn't work well with anything other than bluegroove conditions. It will washout on Loamy dirt, Mud, sand, etc. I hated that tire (and many other's do), but I hear that it works well on Bluegroove Hardpack.

I'm running a Pirelli Scorpion Pro up front, and a pirelli MT-16 on the rear. They have worked great so far on Dirt, dirt/sand mixture, and pure sand. I haven't hit hardpack with them yet, or Rocky conditions, but they were designed for them so I think it's gonna work really well, if they are already working on conditions not ideal for them.

When you change the oil filter. Remove all three (filter cover) bolts at the same time. If you follow what the Manual tells you, they have you removing the bottom bolt first, and letting the oil pour out of it. Over time, all the bit's of metal, dirt, aluminum and other nasties, pour out of this THREADED bolt hole. They accumulate in the threads, and one day when you go back to change the oil filter, you will snap off the bolt, and make a big pain in the azz for yourself, drilling it and retapping it. I helped a friend with a WR 250f, and it isn't fun.

Other than that, ride a lot, change oil filter and oil regularly, and clean the air filter religiously.
Have fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • live4speed

Posted January 25, 2007 - 09:44 AM

i would swap the rear 739 for a 756...they will give you alot more hook when the conditions are less than favorable...

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:08 PM

i would swap the rear 739 for a 756...they will give you alot more hook when the conditions are less than favorable...

They don't have a 739 rear. They come with a 756. But that will be worn out in 3 rides or less.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:11 PM

Good tires for your conditions, chain, and properly fit the bike to you. I like to lower the stock footpegs, get the levers and bars just right and oil the stock air filter a little better than they do at the factory. Check spokes, tire pressure and call it ready to ride.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.