Hard Clutch on YZF 426?

21 replies to this topic
  • Insaneman1731

Posted December 24, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I rode my buddies YZ 125 and the clutch is so easy to pull in. On my 426 it is very very hard to pull in. Is there any reason why? Is there anything I can do to make it easier?

• battles2a5

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Ditto on this, my '01 is tough to pull as well. Arm pump city. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2weelz

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Cable replacement? Pretty cheap

• dave_v

Posted December 24, 2006 - 09:02 PM

you can add my 01 426 to the arm pump list. I've already pulled the cable from both ends, lubed the cable, and greased the lever pivot and cable ends. No change. I'm getting ready to replace the clutch plates (both fiber and metal) to see if that helps. I've got another thread going for recommendations on aftermarket clutch kits.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:21 PM

Pretty much any 125 is going to have lighter clutch pull than a big bore bike. I think there is a clutch mod that has something to do with lengthening the actuator arm so that it is easier to pull. Do a search for 'clutch mod' or something like that.

By the way, I don't even have a clutch lever on my 426 anymore :thumbsup:

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:56 PM

My clutch was a bitch too, would kill me in long stints of tight singletrack. Thank you Rekluse for curing my problem!

• felix 222

Posted December 24, 2006 - 11:34 PM

i don't have a problem:dunno:

i'm sure you tried the simple adjustments near the lever...that's all i needed

• mudhog426

Posted December 25, 2006 - 01:31 AM

I would imagine that the big bikes take more effort due to heavier springs in the clutch assembly. Have you checked the clutch basket for grooving? Have you eliminated a pinched cable as a possible cause? My '02 doesn't feel overly hard to pull, could be cause I'm used to my H-D.

• CRF100biker

Posted December 25, 2006 - 08:36 AM

Reason:The 426 makes gobs more torque than your 125 so the clutch springs must be stiffer.

Solution:Hydraulic clutch?:thumbsup:

• Insaneman1731

Posted December 25, 2006 - 08:45 AM

Reason:The 426 makes gobs more torque than your 125 so the clutch springs must be stiffer.

How much are those and where can I find one at?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Insaneman1731

Posted December 25, 2006 - 06:18 PM

• CRF100biker

Posted December 25, 2006 - 08:53 PM

I believe its called the Magura Jack hydraulic clutch. It uses fluid to operate the clutch instead of a cable.

But you think the 426 is bad? You should've tried this 84' CR 250's lever. Wouldn't budge an inch.

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:41 AM

That would fix the problem. I have one on my KTM and love it.:devil:

• flintlock28

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:42 AM

The Magura's are suppossed to reduce pull 20%, I've heard some great reviews, and other's say thaey don't think the reduction is that much.

• Fastest1

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:45 AM

Take the actuator arm from a YZ400, I believe it is longer and therefore gives more leverage. However it comes at a cost, more lever travel. As stated above, definitely check cable condition, lube, double check routing and you can even rebore the hole in your lever (nearer the pivot bolt) to gain more leverage. Some after market replacement levers have 3 holes in them to vary the leverage to your liking. The magura is a great unit that is smooth but it didnt seem to make it that much easier to pull in.

• kevin nichols

Posted December 27, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Make sure the cable is well lubed, this made big a difference on mine. Also check adjustment specs with the shop manual.

• Insaneman1731

Posted January 23, 2007 - 01:07 PM

Is there anything else I can do?

• marcmo0

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Definitely get a Magura Jack Hydraulic Clutch. I just put one on my '02 426 for the very same reason. It made such an incredible difference in the pull, and was easy to install. I love it, and wish that every bike made came with one. I got mine from an online site. I know that both Motosport.com and rmatvmc.com have them for our bikes. Both sites sell them for about $200.00. It sounds pricey, but once you take it for a ride you will know it is money well spent. If you don't like shopping online, you could go to your local shop and they could order you one. Or get one from magura direct. You'll love it!!!!

• richlee61

Posted January 23, 2007 - 06:45 PM

An accuator arm that is longer will greatly improve clutch-pull, also if ya have the $$$, a hydraulic clutch conversion will make your oil-burner friends jealous!!!:lol:

• gem

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:09 PM

On my 2000 426 the clutch pull was always tough, when replacing the lever after a crash I was pleasantly suprised at how smooth and easy it was but, shortly there after it was stiff again.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.